DLC character question

#1someflamablekidPosted 3/17/2013 2:51:32 PM
Hey I just started this game and I got PR. Marth on my roster. I know a little bit about DLC characters and such but I wanted to ask,

Are there any cons/downsides to using the "old" characters? Should I not fight with them? If anyone can explain in a little more detail that would be great. I did search topics for my answer but I couldn't find it without looking through all 10 pages heh.
#2NewbieN00bPosted 3/17/2013 2:53:15 PM
They don't have supports with normal characters, which is the main downside. Otherwise, not really.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#3someflamablekid(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 2:53:42 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4MetalKirbyPlushPosted 3/17/2013 2:54:00 PM
No supports so you get no support bonuses. Upside depends but Pr. Marth is rather unique because of his Lodestar class and he can change to a huge range of classes, as much as the Avatar actually (including Tactician); might be the same for others but I don't know. Some Spotpass characters have skills that are impossible to get otherwise like Jaffar having Galeforce.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#5GokotsuPosted 3/17/2013 2:54:05 PM
In a nutshell it's all preference. DLC characters usually come with unique skills that they normally can't get such as Micaiah with Shadowgift. They also have the ability to change to all classes that are not gender exclusive. The main con though is that they can't support and that's a pretty big thing. If you like an old character feel free to use them though.
---
PSN,Steam, RE.NET, LoL IGN: Gokotsu
Currently Playing: League of Legends, Guild Wars, Resident Evil 2, Persona 4 Golden
#6Krono_KrossPosted 3/17/2013 2:58:04 PM
Pros:

-Can reclass into any non-special class in the game (gender-permitting). That includes Tactician/Grandmaster, so they can get Veteran.

Cons:

-'Dat (lack of) personality
-No supports = not as effective as your units that get support bonus (unless you use the "Dual Support+" skill obtainable by Valkyries)

They're not bad to use if you can handle the fact that they'll only ever talk with punctuation marks. Lack of substantial support bonus is their only real weakness, which can be fixed.
#7spealfan444Posted 3/17/2013 3:05:18 PM(edited)
I don't like how they recycled the models of other characters for the DLC characters, Pr. Marth is just Lucina with shorter hair.
---
These boards are a creature of Chaos, they may take many incarnations.
#8legendriderPosted 3/17/2013 3:03:40 PM
Krono_Kross posted...
Pros:

-Can reclass into any non-special class in the game (gender-permitting). That includes Tactician/Grandmaster, so they can get Veteran.

Cons:

-'Dat (lack of) personality
-No supports = not as effective as your units that get support bonus (unless you use the "Dual Support+" skill obtainable by Valkyries)

They're not bad to use if you can handle the fact that they'll only ever talk with punctuation marks. Lack of substantial support bonus is their only real weakness, which can be fixed.

Pretty much this
With DLC characters being slightly special with unique skills, there all basically avatars without personality or supports, which can be fixed quite easily, as stated. There not bad, and give you an extra boost when necessary (and if you don't wish to risk your main units in battle)
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#9DoomerangPosted 3/17/2013 3:08:27 PM

Thing is, you can get Dual Support+ to make your non-DLC/spotpass units even MORE effective, since they get the benefits from the skill and supports. The DLC/spotpas characters still lose out in that regard.
---
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles
#10someflamablekid(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 3:48:31 PM
Ahhh I see. Yeah it is unfortunate that the models aren't very much like the actual character. It's like they used what little resources they had. Thanks for the help everyone!