Class speculation

#1AyanokojiAkunoPosted 3/23/2013 10:37:20 AM(edited)
So I was chatting with a friend on msn, and he brought up how he wouldn't see the problem with Hero gaining the ability to use Lances in addition to Swords and Axes (were another FE game made).

I flat out said that would be pretty OP; Basically a great knight without the weaknesses and less str/def. Also second highest skill stat in the game (outside of any unique classes who may have higher).

I wouldn't have problems with Hero gaining the ability to use Lances, but that is all betting on whatever ideas they do next (if they do). Anyway, what do the people of this board think? If Hero class were to be able to use Lances
---
Akuno Ayanokoji
#2FlyingDeCowPosted 3/23/2013 10:38:31 AM
Axes are already better than Lances. Lances wouldn't add much.
---
Whenever it's foggy out, I imagine my vision is being restricted to 3 squares. If only I brought a torch with me.
#3AyanokojiAkuno(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 10:39:45 AM
In your opinion, they are better. I'm more privy to swords myself, but, they would have everything covered if Hero could use Lances
---
Akuno Ayanokoji
#4SmugglinMooglesPosted 3/23/2013 10:40:50 AM
How can you determine how overpowered or underpowered something might be when there is no actual difficulty to put them against?

Food for thought, you're playing babby's first tactic games here.
---
My arms hang like wet ropes.
#5pizzaman95Posted 3/23/2013 10:42:19 AM
SmugglinMoogles posted...
How can you determine how overpowered or underpowered something might be when there is no actual difficulty to put them against?

Food for thought, you're playing babby's first tactic games here.

The friend was talking about this in regards to a hypothetical new FE, though.
---
This is where I sometimes put jokes, references and such.
#6WilhuffTarkinPosted 3/23/2013 10:45:33 AM
Axes must be the most powerful, but they tend to have lower accuracy and don't seem to double as much. For me, that can be a turnoff.

Honestly, all three have pros and cons.

I guess I'm with TC on this one. Interestingly, however, when I think about units that DO have access to all three weapons (like the Great Knights in FE8), I don't really use them all that much. It's not often that I have the patience to work a unit's weapon rank all the way up in multiple categories.

Sometimes I definitely do, however. In one playthrough of Radiant Dawn, I ended up with basically the ultimate Soren. I capped every stat, got him to his highest weapon rank in Wind Tomes, Fire Tomes, Thunder Tomes, and Staves, had him bless Rexcalibur, had Sanaki bless a Blizzard Tome that I gave to him, and put Dragonfoe on him. 4E3 crumbled before his awesomeness.
---
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.
#7pizzaman95Posted 3/23/2013 10:47:37 AM
WilhuffTarkin posted...
[Axes] don't seem to double as much.

If you mean this game, they double as much as any other weapon since weapon weight isn't a thing in this game.

If you mean in general, that's mainly due to their high weight in comparison to swords and lances but if the characters got the CON/STR they'll double just fine.
---
This is where I sometimes put jokes, references and such.
#8WilhuffTarkinPosted 3/23/2013 10:53:40 AM
pizzaman95 posted...
WilhuffTarkin posted...
[Axes] don't seem to double as much.

If you mean this game, they double as much as any other weapon since weapon weight isn't a thing in this game.

If you mean in general, that's mainly due to their high weight in comparison to swords and lances but if the characters got the CON/STR they'll double just fine.

Yeah, I meant in general. Forgot to point that out.
---
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.
#9AyanokojiAkuno(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 10:56:43 AM(edited)
In this game, with how easy they make it to level up weapon levels, you could have A rank in no time. 4 weapons at the most on any unit for different stuff (or some ratio of tomes/staves if using such a class).

Also in this game, since there is no weapon weight, any melee weapon can double, granted, if the unit has the speed for it. Assuming they kept this mechanic of no weapon weight in any possible future FE games, then we got another scenario altogether (I think CON determined if they could double or not, in addition to speed). In general, most Axe users are burly characters or just happen to have the CON for doubling with them.

Again, note the weakness of the Great Knight. Low speed, low skill, beast and armor weakness. Hero has one less movement, less str and def, but surpasses GK in speed and skill, and no beast/armor weakness. This is why I first said, they would seem over powered. Sure, one less movement, and not as strong, but they have everything covered. Just set up the appropriate skills for dealing with tome users.
---
Akuno Ayanokoji
#10guedesbrawlPosted 3/23/2013 11:03:00 AM
this game, previos games or a next Fe, you guys need to decide what you are talking about.

i'd rather keep the balance aspect of heroes intact.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6