The Optimal Grind and Game Discussion

#1TranceLimit174Posted 3/24/2013 1:26:24 PM
As much as I'm enjoying this game, there is a certain aspect of the game that's been gnawing at me and I thought I'd take it to this board for a discussion as well as ask some advice.

The first time I played through the game (Normal Classic) I pretty much just went through the Story Mode blind so I could discover the game.

I'm now in the midst of a Hard Mode run and I'm taking a more grindy approach so I can have my choice of teams for a variety of DLC and Spot/Street Pass teams.

I have come across an issue on both of my playthroghs. I am finding that, even while grinding like hell, due to the level cap system the plans for my characters outweigh what the game offers.

For example, through my first playthrough I wanted to take Kellam from Knight to Thief to Assassin to General. A tank with Lethality sounded too good. Problem is by the time I was able to get through and use the skill set up I was beyond ready to beat the game.

It makes getting the all coveted Galeforce seem kind of pointless because by the time I can get it I can dodge and destroy most units on the Enemy Turn anyway.

I love the game and its system, but it just feels like the rewards outweigh the game content and it bothers me. I want to build up new characters and try to create some powerful teams but I find no challenge equal to the amount of effort.

Which brings me to the advice part of my post. What have people found to be the most efficient way to grind? EXPonential Growth works well for starter units. But for those I wish to take through 2-3 classes this eventually becomes too much of a chore as there aren't enough units, they're passive, and they're spread out.

I've tried Champions of Yore 3, and even though you get low EXP per unit it makes up for it via sheer number. Problem is here, I'm having to always press A through all the dialogue. So once again, a chore.

So my question is, what is the fastest, most efficient way to grind units? Basically because auto battle exists I want to be able to turn that on and have the game basically press A through me for the entire skirmish. It always goes back to my control after every turn and I don't want to have to babysit the dialogue bits.

Secondly, is all the work necessary? Like I said I find my raw power outweighing the potential ADDED benefit of the skills. Please discuss everyone.
#2PKRockin531Posted 3/24/2013 1:30:56 PM(edited)
Your problem is here.

I wanted to take Kellam from Knight to Thief to Assassin to General.

you want to do too much in-game. Without grinding, you're basically going to 20/20 like any other FE. With grinding, the game is going to be boring because anyone with that amount of EXP thrown at them has stats way higher than the enemies offered in-game.

Save this type of thing for postgame DLC/Spotpass chapters. The grinding you mention is basically a necessity for Future of Despair, The Strongest One's Name, or Priam's SpotPass chapter.

The most efficient way to grind is to go to Lost Bloodlines 3, sit the unit you want to train on a Fort and end turn over and over. You're guaranteed 8 levels, and when you beat it you get Paragon(double EXP, for 16 EXP per kill at max EXP scaling)
---
www.youtube.com/user/PKLucas531
#3chtma653Posted 3/24/2013 1:31:59 PM
If you've seen any of the "This game allows grinding therefore it sucks" threads, you now know why those people feel that way. Fire Emblem is usually great about not allowing or requiring grinding. It's very easy to cheapen the experience through grinding.
---
I, do, no,t, hav,e, a, c,o,m,m,a, p,ro,,,b,,l,em,,,,,
You may not include spoiler tags in your signature :(
#4bluerulerPosted 3/24/2013 1:39:26 PM
chtma653 posted...
If you've seen any of the "This game allows grinding therefore it sucks" threads, you now know why those people feel that way. Fire Emblem is usually great about not allowing or requiring grinding. It's very easy to cheapen the experience through grinding.

Don't want to be "that" guy but several FE's 'allow' grinding. Boss abuse and arena, these still exist in previous games, it may or may not be tedious but that depends on the person.

Now "requiring" grinding is a different subject...
---
Without Inspiration We Are Nothing More Than Statues
#5WebbOMGPosted 3/24/2013 1:59:09 PM
You don't need to grind. You can easily beat this game by never re-classing a single unit on most difficulties and modes.

If you want the most efficient way to grind:

1. EXPonential Growth for as long as the experience is still good (try to only use ranged weapons of course)

2. Once EXPonential Growth starts giving your unit(s) 8 exp per kill you need to look elsewhere. Golden Gaffe is actually pretty decent for this while at the same time giving you tons of gold

3. THE BEST WAY TO GRIND is to have a single unit pair up with Chrom on Lost Bloodlines 3. 50 enemies at 8 exp equals a guaranteed 4 levels per run, and each time you beat this map you get a copy of the Paragon (exp x 2) skill, doubling the effectiveness of all exp gains

So once you get to the point where you are grinding Lost Bloodlines 3 you can expect 8 levels per run with Paragon, 12 with Paragon + Veteran. Either way do this twice with any class and you will be ready to re-class into something else.