Turning Lon'qu and Yen'fay into a Chinese/Japanese hybrid.. a tad racist?

#1AsianSupermanPosted 3/25/2013 9:24:27 AM
I've been enjoying this game so much I kinda overlooked the fact that Nintendo of America changed two obviously Japanese based characters into a Chinese/Japanese hybrid: Ronkuu and Renha.. dubbed into Lon'qu and Yen'fay. But why?

The game pretty much makes it clear that Chon'sin(originally Sonshin) is a Japanese based land, what with its Samurai based fighters, Cherry Blossoms and Sushi being a major part of its culture. So why dub its characters (and to a lesser extent, the land name) into having Chinese based names? They're almost saying "Chinese, Japanese same thing for the American audience."

And before I get "You're being too sensitive ASIANSuperman." I'm actually part Caucasian part Asian. :-P
---
Yep! Superman beat Goku. Love 'em both, but anyone who thinks Goku could beat a planet lifter is in pure denial.
PSN: SeiMikazuki - Dragon's Dogma Pawn - Ryu
#2IvynnPosted 3/25/2013 9:27:16 AM
Nintendo's a Japanese company so it's okay as long as they do it, I guess?

Plus it's a fantasy world. Fantasy cultures mix real world cultures together all the time to make them more "different" or "exotic".
---
http://i.imgur.com/vDci4hD.gif
#3Xxlv20xXPosted 3/25/2013 9:28:04 AM
You're being too sensitive ASIANSuperwoman
#4Tempo613Posted 3/25/2013 9:28:13 AM
AsianSuperman posted...
You're being too sensitive ASIANSuperman."

---
3DS FC: 4811-7367-9390
"Go troll elsewhere. I hear that Venuzuela is looking for a new idiot to run the country." ~TiamatKiller
#5welkin_gPosted 3/25/2013 9:28:18 AM
Why are Lon'qu and Yen'fay Chinese names?
#6almostexactlyPosted 3/25/2013 9:29:00 AM
I don't think you can replicate Lon'qu, Yen'fay or Say'ri just using ping ying or Chinese syllables as they are written now. They don't seem more Chinese then Japanese to me, just a vaguely fantasy equivalent.
#7IlIlIlIlIlIlIlPosted 3/25/2013 9:29:59 AM
I'm Chinese and I wasn't really bothered by it, knowing full well that despite being Japanese culturally, they have Chinese-inspired names. Maybe I thought it was acceptable because it was a different fantasy universe and all.

...but then again I wasn't aware of the name changes either.

"Ronkuu" doesn`t really sound all that "Japanese" tbh. I might even go as far as saying Lon'qu was supposed to be "Chinese" in the first place.
---
|N|M|E|
#8OneEyedDragonPosted 3/25/2013 9:38:56 AM
I don't think you can replicate Lon'qu, Yen'fay or Say'ri just using ping ying or Chinese syllables as they are written now. They don't seem more Chinese then Japanese to me, just a vaguely fantasy equivalent.

It's most likely a poor translation on their part.

Long Qu
Yen Fei
Sai Ri

are probably the correct way to spell in English.

That said, who the hell cares. It's a fantasy world. You have many different things to play with. I would go as far as to encourage these types of things, with Chinese and Japanese culture being put together and giving a more unified feeling. Asians not born in the West and the older generation of people have real big problems and issues with nationalism and racism, and I'd like to see things will change with the newer generation with more things like this.
---
People who don't win... To all whose talents are mediocre. I will forgive your sins. Those who keep flapping their wings without flying, I will forgive you all.
#9almostexactlyPosted 3/25/2013 9:41:20 AM
OneEyedDragon posted...

Long Qu
Yen Fei
Sai Ri

Well, that's what I mean. It looks like it was deliberately not spelled one way so it isn't considered either language, just the mishmash that makes the fantasy Chon'sin names.
#10AsianSuperman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 9:44:03 AM
almostexactly posted...
OneEyedDragon posted...

Long Qu
Yen Fei
Sai Ri

Well, that's what I mean. It looks like it was deliberately not spelled one way so it isn't considered either language, just the mishmash that makes the fantasy Chon'sin names.

The issue really is the mishmashing. I know a lot of Japanese folk who hate having the cultures mixed due to a strong distaste for Chinese culture. My best friend is one for example, though she's cool with Chinese Americans.
---
Yep! Superman beat Goku. Love 'em both, but anyone who thinks Goku could beat a planet lifter is in pure denial.
PSN: SeiMikazuki - Dragon's Dogma Pawn - Ryu