Turning Lon'qu and Yen'fay into a Chinese/Japanese hybrid.. a tad racist?

#41UryvichkPosted 3/25/2013 11:25:56 AM
AsianSuperman posted...
Uryvichk posted...
I'm more offended by Say'ri's voice actress than her name.

The fake Asian accent?

Yeah. I mean... what the heck? Everyone apparently speaks the same language in this fantasy world, why is her manner of speaking so stilted and her accent so bad?

I suppose you could argue Virion/Cherche also have somewhat offensive stereotypical accents, as does Donnel, but at least they don't sound so... I dunno. Racist?
#42Cheesepower5Posted 3/25/2013 11:29:23 AM
FlyingDeCow posted...
What world do you live in that Social Rights groups are considered crazy? America has states like Louisiana fighting to repeal portions of the Voting Rights act, and the 2012 election saw efforts in several swing states to suppress the minority vote. I guess I'll go tell the NAACP that they're crazy to fight for equal rights.

The world where RadFemHub exists, among other tasty morcels. And then you point out good stuff social rights groups do... Yeah. I never said they were harmful, I said they get a bad wrap, a lotta' people don't like 'em.

Why? Because for everybody who pushes for gay marriage/etc., there's a guy with a megaphone telling us that Pixar is a front for the BNP.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official SpotPass Finn of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#43Darkblaze53Posted 3/25/2013 11:30:51 AM
welkin_g posted...
And no outrage for Xu'Mia or Hen'ri?

huehuehue
---
Internet Antagonist - BALZE TO THE WALZE
Member of the SSBB Luxary Lounge/Resort
#44AsianSuperman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 11:35:38 AM
Cheesepower5 posted...
AsianSuperman posted...

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm not so much offended by the change, just a bit baffled. I mean, wouldn't Scottish and Irish folk find it a tad offensive if people mix their cultures up intentionally?

Probably, but considering that the split is recent enough that they both speak Gaelic, it's certainly justified, even if they're variations on each other.

Also, the Renha meaning thing is really cool, good find.

Thanks. It's just things like that that bother me. Why change the character's name to Yen'fay when the original name Renha means something as cool as "Quick Slasher".

Uryvichk posted...
AsianSuperman posted...
Uryvichk posted...
I'm more offended by Say'ri's voice actress than her name.

The fake Asian accent?

Yeah. I mean... what the heck? Everyone apparently speaks the same language in this fantasy world, why is her manner of speaking so stilted and her accent so bad?

I suppose you could argue Virion/Cherche also have somewhat offensive stereotypical accents, as does Donnel, but at least they don't sound so... I dunno. Racist?

I wasn't so much offended by her manner of speaking since there have been worse. It's the fact that her voice cracks every few sentences that annoyed me.
---
Yep! Superman beat Goku. Love 'em both, but anyone who thinks Goku could beat a planet lifter is in pure denial.
PSN: SeiMikazuki - Dragon's Dogma Pawn - Ryu
#45iliekpieplzPosted 3/25/2013 12:06:31 PM(edited)
AsianSuperman posted...

Thanks. It's just things like that that bother me. Why change the character's name to Yen'fay when the original name Renha means something as cool as "Quick Slasher".

It's hard to translate Yen'fay into mandarin and then to proper chinese, but if you use a yan2 and a very obscure fei3, it can mean Burning Light of the Crescent Moon.

notbad.jpg
---
Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television.
PSN: ZanSangyou
#46AsianSuperman(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 12:12:36 PM
iliekpieplz posted...
AsianSuperman posted...

It's hard to translate Yen'fay into mandarin and then to proper chinese, but if you use a yan2 and a very obscure fei3, it can mean Burning Light of the Crescent Moon.

notbad.jpg

Ha ha. That's actually pretty cool. The only issue is that he's not originally supposed to be a Chinese based character. :-\

I mean, they're practically saying that Samurais and Chinese Fencers are the same thing..
---
Yep! Superman beat Goku. Love 'em both, but anyone who thinks Goku could beat a planet lifter is in pure denial.
PSN: SeiMikazuki - Dragon's Dogma Pawn - Ryu
#47easymodexzPosted 3/25/2013 12:18:22 PM
My take:

1. Companies have artistic license to either go "East Asia theme" or "Japan theme" or "China theme". Honestly don't give a damn.

2. The companies should stay consistent within whatever theme they choose.

3. Changing names for no goddamn reason is annoying as hell. ESPECIALLY when the coherence and quality of the names go DOWN. That's just pure stupidity.

So, I'd go with a "thumbs-down" in this particular case.
#48LegoTechnicPosted 3/25/2013 12:31:35 PM(edited)
Lon'qu's Japanese name is written in katakana, and is therefore obviously a foreign name. He never had a Japanese name, or else it would have been written in kanji or hiragana (or a mix).

/thread.

Edit: for the record, Yen'fey's name is also katakana, though he was original "Renha" (not sure why such a large name change here). In addition Sonshin/Chon'sin is obviously depicted as a foreign land as well, even if Japanese inspired.
---
Bane even prayed for Dick when he became Batman. -- Frostbite_Zero
#49Cheesepower5Posted 3/25/2013 12:30:48 PM
If it's any consollation, most King Arthur stories turn dark age Welsh/Cornish warriors into middle age French/Anglo-Saxon knights.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official SpotPass Finn of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#50bluerulerPosted 3/25/2013 12:35:48 PM
I feel like youre trying to show your deep connection with asian culture, not that its wrong, but you are looking too much into this. I doubt their underlining motives were racist, if youre racist and working for nintendo then thats some deep irony right there
---
Without Inspiration We Are Nothing More Than Statues