Rate the Skill, Chapter 36: Hex and Anathema

#1guedesbrawlPosted 3/26/2013 5:03:43 PM
I know most don't read the who knows what section, but I was sure someone was going to call me out for what I did. hehe...

Something similar was on the Skill Ranking of Paralogue 4

-Skill Ranking-

S Rank:
*Aether (Great Lord,Lv5)
*Veteran (Tactician,Lv1)
*Sol (Hero,Lv5)!A
*Galeforce (Dark Flier, Lv15)

A Rank:
*Rightful King (Great Lord,Lv15)
*Ignis (Grandmaster,Lv5)
*Rally Spectrum (Grandmaster,Lv15)
*Armsthrift (Mercenary,Lv1)!S
*Astra (Swordmaster,Lv5)!
*Vantage (Myrmidon,Lv10)!B
*Aegis (Paladin,Lv15)
*Luna (Great Knight,Lv5)
*Dual Guard+ (Great Knight,Lv15)
*Pavise (General,Lv15)
*Aptitude (Villager,Lv1)
*Swordbreaker (Wyvern Lord,Lv15)
*Deliverer (Griffon Rider,Lv5)

B Rank:
*Dual Strike+ (Lord,Lv1)
*Axebreaker (Hero,Lv15)
*Swordfaire (Swordmaster,Lv15)
*Locktouch (Thief,Lv1)
*Movement +1 (Thief,Lv10)
*Lucky Seven (Trickster,Lv5)
*Special Dance (Dancer,Lv15)
*Rally Speed (Falcon Knight,Lv5)
*Lancefaire (Falcon Knight,Lv15)
*Rally Movement (Dark Flier, Lv5)
*Rally Strength (Warrior,Lv5)
*Counter (Warrior,Lv15)
*Wrath (Berserker,Lv5)
*Axefaire (Berserker,Lv15)
*Lancebreaker (Griffon Rider,Lv15)
*Bowbreaker (Bow Knight,Lv15)
*Lifetaker (Dark Knight,Lv15)

C Rank:
*Solidarity (Tactician,Lv10)
*Patience (Mercenary,Lv10)
*Avoid +10 (Myrmidon,Lv1)
*Lethality (Assassin,Lv5)!B
*Pass (Assassin,Lv15)
*Acrobat (Trickster,Lv15)
*Discipline (Cavalier,Lv1)
*Defender (Paladin,Lv5)
*Defense +2 (Knight,Lv1)
*Rally Defense (General,Lv5)
*Speed + 2 (Pegasus Knight,Lv1)
*Relief (Pegasus Knight,Lv10)
*Underdog (Villager,Lv1)
*HP +5 (Fighter,Lv1)
*Zeal (Fighter,Lv10)
*Despoil (Barbarian,Lv1)!
*Gamble (Barbarian,Lv10)
*Strength +2 (Wyvern Rider,Lv1)
*Quick Burn (Wyvern Lord,Lv5)
*Hit Rate +20 (Sniper,Lv5)
*Bowfaire (Sniper,Lv15)
*Magic +2 (Mage,Lv1)
*Focus (Mage,Lv10)

D Rank:
*Charm (Lord,Lv10)
*Luck +4 (Dancer,Lv1)
*Outdoor Fighter (Cavalier,Lv10)
*Indoor Fighter (Knight,Lv10)
*Tantivity (Wyvern Rider,Lv10)
*Skill +2 (Archer,Lv1)
*Prescience (Archer,Lv10)
*Rally Skill (Bow Knight,Lv5)
*Slow Burn (Dark Knight,Lv5)

-Nominations-

Ignis: 5/10
Veteran: 5/10
Relief: 3/10
Special Dance: 2+x/10
Rally Spectrum: 2/10
Rightful King: 1/10
Strength +2: 1/10
Rally Movement: 1/10
Defense +2: 1/10
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#2guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 5:03:49 PM
Paralogue & Nomination Rules:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/65755412
-------------------
Characters who start with both skills: Tharja, Henry, Morgan (born from either 2)

Characters who can learn either skill: Miriel, Cordelia, Libra, Severa, Laurent, Noire, Gangrel, Aversa, Avatar, Morgan.

Characters that can inherit the skill and the class required: Lucina (Avatar), Cynthia (Henry, Avatar), Owain, Inigo, Brady, Kjelle, Gerome, Yarne, Nah.
-------------------

Well, here we are again. It's always such a pleasure...

Hex gives all enemies adjacent to the user a -15 Avoid penalty. Another interpretation of this skill would be "gives the user a +15 Hit bonus in direct battles"

Well, this can be good for axe users, who have accuracy problems. Magic users generally want to attack indirectly unless the enemy is using a bow; but this can guarantee a killing blow.

Dark Magic in particular benefits from this, since both the weapons and the users have low Hit rates. It's not the best skill around and needs a little work to be decent, but better than nothing. C rank.

Anathema a Avoid/Dodge (Critical Avoid) -10 penalty to all enemies within a 3-tile radius of the user.

The Avoid isn't much, but since it has an area affect, it can be a nice support. The Dodge penalty can allow you to squeeze more crit. Crit is always good.

This is like a better version of Daunt from the Tellius games...and that would have been a better name for the thing. I give it a B rank.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#3TearofamermaidPosted 3/26/2013 5:25:31 PM
Hex: D
Anathema: D
#4LurkerkillerPosted 3/26/2013 5:27:16 PM(edited)
guedesbrawl posted...

Hex gives all enemies adjacent to the user a -15 Avoid penalty. Another interpretation of this skill would be "gives the user a +15 Hit bonus in direct battles"

While this is kinda what it does, it's not exactly true at all. Giving a user 15 hit is much different than lowering an enemy who is adjacent to him -15 avoid.
Giving 15 hit means only that user will receive the benefit, however, the enemy losing 15 avoid means anyone else attacking that unit will receive 15 hit as well.

Either way not changing how I would have voted for these skills anyways.

C and C.

Both are good skills and useful if used correctly. Can help your weaker characters with lower hit ensure they hit and kill someone if you want to train them instead of the character with Hex and Anathema.

I'm sure everyone has had those times where they missed a 90% or a bit less and the enemy counter attacks and kills that weak person, these skills ensure or help decrease the chances of those occurring.

Anathema is much better than Hex, however I don't believe Hex is a D rank skill and belongs with those others. Anathema is on the upper half of C but doesn't belong in B.
---
LoL NA: Lurkerkiller
SC2 NA: Lurkerkiller.301
#5RedMageKirbyPosted 3/26/2013 5:25:49 PM
Hex: D
Anathema: C

I feel like Hex is at the very top of the Ds, but it doesn't deserve to be in the same tier as Anathema, and Anathema is definitely not good enough to fit in with the other B skills, so it's a C.
---
~RMK~
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#6NidtendofreakPosted 3/26/2013 5:30:12 PM
Hex: D Having to be right beside an enemy to get this benefit it bad, particularly if I'm already a mage.

Anathema: B Solidarity somehow got a C rank. This skill is better.

Nominate Relief.
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
#7Model_OmegaPosted 3/26/2013 5:31:18 PM
Hex is meh, it doesn't work well on it's base class since you should be attacking at range with magic, and improving your hit on the enemy phase may just lead to getting bum rushed and dying.
D

Anathema is a great (and slightly underrated) skill, it essentially grants a +10 crit and hit rate to all allies battling enemies that are being effected, basically making this a better Solidarity or slightly weaker but more versatile Support +
B
---
Patrolling the Awakening message boards almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter...
#8guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 5:32:39 PM
Lurkerkiller posted...
guedesbrawl posted...

While this is kinda what it does, it's not exactly true at all. Giving a user 15 hit is much different than lowering an enemy who is adjacent to him -15 avoid.
Giving 15 hit means only that user will receive the benefit, however, the enemy losing 15 avoid means anyone else attacking that unit will receive 15 hit as well.

Either way not changing how I would have voted for these skills anyways.

er..indeed. my bad.
---
Confession Time!
#9BlueDryBones1Posted 3/26/2013 5:35:59 PM
Anathema B

Its like Gamble but only it raises your Hit as well. Dodge-10 for opponents is just a fancy way of saying Crit+10 Avo -10 for opponents =Hit+10 with forged weapons this skill can be really nice.

Hex D

Too many similar skills. Hit+ skills are the same thing as well.
---
Dry Bones+Magikruiser FTW in MKW ^-^
#10Krono_KrossPosted 3/26/2013 8:44:11 PM
While I'm skulking the boards, I noticed that there's no rally magic or tomefaire from the sage class. And since I'm here, might as well add to the (lack of) votes.

Hex - C
Anathema - C