What makes this game so special?

#1SSpectrePosted 3/29/2013 9:57:22 PM
Fire Emblem as a whole tends to get a "good but not great" reception from people outside of its core fanbase. After playing Sword of Flame and Radiant Dawn, I pretty much agreed. But this one seems to be getting way more positive attention than previous games, and I'm intrigued.

I'm just wondering, what's this game doing so much better than before? I've heard that children born from your characters' relationships can be recruited as playable characters, which is bloody cool, but still doesn't seem like the kind of thing that makes a game the system-seller people are touting this as.
---
People who can't understand non-Euclidean geometry just can't think outside the box.
#2TaiphlosionPosted 3/29/2013 10:00:19 PM
It's easier to get into. The core fanbase not necessarily thinks it's the best or even between them, but it apeals to a lot more people.
#3SazukeEXPosted 3/29/2013 10:00:37 PM
I can't explain it.

But as a huge strategy gamer I love the FE series just as I love FFT, TO, SRW, Disgaea, and the such.

It's just this... Feeling that drives me to love these games.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#4Sentinel07Posted 3/29/2013 10:02:04 PM
Well, for one thing, it's probably the first FE game a lot of people have even heard off.

I mean, Nintendo advertised through the roof for this game, unlike most of the other FE games.
#5LaPlaceTransforPosted 3/29/2013 10:06:07 PM
The characters, the soundtrack. The adjustable difficulty. DLC, generally greater availability of legendary/ higher tier weaponry. I like that it actually makes some use of streetpass.
#6Emperor_GestahlPosted 3/29/2013 10:24:59 PM
Is there really much strategy here? On hard I just paired up mu and chrom, bought the occasional vulnary and strolled through without resistance. Lunatics not fairing much better. Started exploring TBS with advance wars and since fe is made by IS figured I'd finally give it a shot but so far I'm not terribly impressed.
#7PKDonut617Posted 3/29/2013 10:30:46 PM
It has better animu graphics, comes with voice acting, and a wider support range, esp. for MU.
---
"What do you say? Would you allow me to shave your head?"
#8SmugglinMooglesPosted 3/29/2013 11:06:22 PM
Nothing. It's mediocre.
---
My arms hang like wet ropes.
#9fatty_yaPosted 3/29/2013 11:18:06 PM
It's the inappropriate voice-overs during support and story convos.

Cordelia: "It's just you and me!"
Vaike: "Enter the Vaike!"
---
Mario Kart Wii FC: 3909-8142-0974 wheel 9300-9700VR
Animal Crossing Wii FC: 1805-5749-4471 mooz @ DK MTN (that's DK[space]MTN)
#10helldewPosted 3/30/2013 12:01:49 AM
its a lot more appealing.

A big one is the graphics. It looks far more pleaseing. graphically the models look alright and the animations look FAR better then pretty much any Fire emblem. There is far more variety on the swings the Actual UI is far less cumbersum (there is a controllable fast foward in battle for instance) it looks and sounds great to.

the characters are likeable and are generally brimming with personality to. There are plenty more supports and lot less restrictions (the 5 support limit is just flat out gone) and there are far more supports beteewn characters in general.

Difficulty wise there is far more options. ranging from casual mode which disables the permadeath to difficulty settings ranging from pretty easy/accessible to bloody unfair hard.

Story wise its not anything special but it has its moments and definite plot twists here and there that remain interesting. it has some insanely nice looking animated cutscences to + while everything isnt voice acted there is plenty of voice acting in general giving you a great idea of the characters voices and some parts are voice acting really adding to the moment.

so i guess yeah take Fire emblem fair and add FAR more production from both a localization standpoint and a just game design standpoint. Granted it does have flaws some people hate the lack of certain things in older fire emblems like Fog of war or certain objective based maps but in general its a great experience all around.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.