What makes this game so special?

#11President_MarthPosted 3/30/2013 12:03:53 AM
The "No Feet" thing.
---
Marth kicks arse! Marth kicks arse! Marth kicks arse! ~AngryPidgeon
#12WolfJouninPosted 3/30/2013 12:14:09 AM
You're not forced to go at the game's pace since you can grind: You can use any character you want no matter how awkward of a time they join and how mediocre their starting stats are, and get them as leveled up as you want after the first few chapters (Even with DLC chapters, you have spotpass teams you can face). This also goes double for supports, because you can support infinite times (only 1 S per character), and you aren't limited to a set number of chapters to achieve this like in previous titles (though you are in 1 case).

There are far more character options via spotpass/dlc even if you don't like most of the core characters (not speaking for myself, because I like a good number of them), even though it comes at the cost of them not interacting with the main story or anyone via support.

The game is not impossible without grinding (at least out of lunatic +), but isn't auto-battle win easy either if you do grind (at least without limit break, and even then, counter/vengeance need caution) lategame in lunatic and especially in lunatic +.

There is a lot more, but those are the main reasons why I like it more than any other FE.
---
Everything in life is a battle. Even peace itself is a battle to maintain it.
#13PuddingchanPosted 3/30/2013 12:16:18 AM(edited)
To whoever who said Lunatic is easy with MU/Chrom, Lunatic is pretty hard when you try not to pair up Chrom and MU together, even if you are depending on Frederick. I did that at the beginning, until it was impossible to do so due to tight placings on the map and instant 1-2 hit KO.

It has good graphics (3D really shines for this game), great soundtrack/music (memorable as well) and did the support system a lot better than the previous games. The support conversations in the other games feel off when they are in the battle maps themself. Also, I hated the 5 support conversation limit that they had in the other games, this time they don't restrict you as much. Characters that actually marry/partner in the war unlike the other games where any mention is only in the epilogue.

The story isn't that bad but I feel that with the info out on the internet it does spoil it. I was pleasantly surprised by at least one plot twist though, and a few other moments, such as if "Marth" is linked to MU.

Also, this time they state carefully which units can support each other. The other games don't. This is a major improvement for the series.

Second seals and master seals are a welcome edition, but I do miss things such as fog, village plundering risks, map merchants, house recruitment, defending. I actually miss the ballistas too, but they aren't that important to me.
#14Patrick7286Posted 3/30/2013 12:21:52 AM
The game probably has the best presentation of any fire emblem ever. Being able to speed up or manually skip battle animations is great as well as the option to skip enemy turns completely among other various convenience options. It looks great and it sounds great. However, it is definitely still has some serious flaws (gameplay imbalance, bad map design, backwards difficulty curve).
#15bottlegnomesPosted 3/30/2013 12:51:07 AM
Patrick7286 posted...
backwards difficulty curve

Well, to be fair, pretty much every FE has had that.
---
"You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't contacted us."
- Calvin
#16Patrick7286Posted 3/30/2013 1:07:33 AM
bottlegnomes posted...
Patrick7286 posted...
backwards difficulty curve

Well, to be fair, pretty much every FE has had that.

Some do, but not to this extent. Lunatic mode was actually pretty difficult up to chapter 5, but after that the game can be completely trivialized. It goes from careful planning to move max distance towards the goal every turn and that's without grinding.
#17SSpectre(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 1:15:27 AM
Huh. Yeah, based on this, I probably would consider this one better than the others. It always bugged me that the games were always like, "Here's all these cool classes, weapons and support conversations...that you'll never see until 90% through the game, and even then, only if you know what to do." If I had a 3DS, I'd probably pick this up.

I don't see why anyone would want fog of war back, though. The levels with it were the worst bloody part of Sword of Flame.
---
People who can't understand non-Euclidean geometry just can't think outside the box.
#18SSpectre(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 1:17:53 AM
Actually, I take that back. The dialogue that consisted solely of "I am inhumanly noble. Watch as I do noble things," was the worst part of that game.
---
People who can't understand non-Euclidean geometry just can't think outside the box.
#19yoshi006Posted 3/30/2013 9:33:49 AM
SSpectre posted...
I don't see why anyone would want fog of war back, though. The levels with it were the worst bloody part of Sword of Flame.

I agree. The fog of war maps were always the worst ones.
---
Good gameplay can easily salvage a bad story.
Good story can never save bad gameplay.