Any reason at all to use bows/archers?

#1ScirelPosted 3/31/2013 6:47:35 PM
IN previous games, Mages were frail as heck and needed to be protected constantly. Archers could usually take some damage and be fine. Neimi was one of my best units in FE8.

Here, it seems that there are more enemies than ever before, and it is harder to protect weaker units because nearly every map is a wide open field. However, Mages have really good DEF and are very powerful as RES is not something many enemies have a lot of.

Meanwhile, Archers never get attacked from range, where they can retaliate, and thusly miss out on the time they should be gaining the most expierence.

There was an incredibly missed opportunity with the pairup system for archer partners to be able to retaliate for the archer. Thus, mages are some of the most useful classes, while Archers you would have to force to grow.

It's no wonder the game gives you only two of them, the second of whcih you cna immediately reclass to something more worthwhile.
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 4342 0778 8528
#2Misha-HeartPosted 3/31/2013 6:48:10 PM
Lunatic+, where Counter is common after Chapter 2.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Oh Poor soul who has lost their love, I will make your heart race once more!
#3welkin_gPosted 3/31/2013 6:52:28 PM
Not really. Maybe they could be good for bosses that don't move so you can snipe them from 3 range.
#4guedesbrawlPosted 3/31/2013 6:57:02 PM
Scirel posted...
IN previous games, Mages were frail as heck and needed to be protected constantly. Archers could usually take some damage and be fine. Neimi was one of my best units in FE8.

Here, it seems that there are more enemies than ever before, and it is harder to protect weaker units because nearly every map is a wide open field. However, Mages have really good DEF and are very powerful as RES is not something many enemies have a lot of.

Meanwhile, Archers never get attacked from range, where they can retaliate, and thusly miss out on the time they should be gaining the most expierence.

There was an incredibly missed opportunity with the pairup system for archer partners to be able to retaliate for the archer. Thus, mages are some of the most useful classes, while Archers you would have to force to grow.

It's no wonder the game gives you only two of them, the second of whcih you cna immediately reclass to something more worthwhile.

Leave them at the edge of a ranged enemy's range. To be honest, they did get the shaft in this game, but if you are smart they can be very useful.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#5silver123456789Posted 3/31/2013 6:58:17 PM
in this game virion is easily usable except for in lunatic mode (its tough to use pretty much everyone in lunatic unless you grind tho so it doesnt matter if he is unusable there). in hard mode he will still fit in nicely especially since wyverns are dangerous and you wont have enough power to take em all out without heavy damage. virion can help with that. in this game, unless i pair up (virion gives nice bonuses anyways) i dont have any units really take on more than 2 units/turn since enemy damage output is high so it doesnt matter if virion can kill only 1 unit a turn since most other units unless paired up will do the same
---
www.chaoscoalition.net
#6WolfTwiliPosted 3/31/2013 6:58:40 PM
Misha-Heart posted...
Lunatic+, where Counter is common after Chapter 2.

this
also there are 3 skills that help to make Snipers very useful, which Virion can't get any of them so I find him better off elsewhere.
the skills are Counter, which gives some defense against close range attacks.
Galeforce, which will allow you to move out of range after you get a kill.
and Pass which will allow you to get away if you get cornered.
---
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
3DS FC: 1461-6216-3909
#7PKRockin531Posted 3/31/2013 7:01:49 PM
I use them as a backup weapon on Assassins(well, Lucina as Assassin) because she can just use a Brave Bow, kill something and activate Galeforce, then switch back to Swords.
---
www.youtube.com/user/PKLucas531
#8welkin_gPosted 3/31/2013 7:04:27 PM
guedesbrawl posted...

Leave them at the edge of a ranged enemy's range. To be honest, they did get the shaft in this game, but if you are smart they can be very useful.

If you're smart, you won't bother with silly tactics like that and just use 1-2 range.
#9AtzarPosted 3/31/2013 7:04:46 PM
There are a ton of flying enemies in this game. An archer can really help deal with those, although I'd never take more than one.
#10el_pablo65Posted 3/31/2013 7:12:32 PM
I'm in my second play through and I've found the archers to almost be OP.

Pair them up with a melee and leave the melee on top and they still get counters at close range (doesn't make sense, but it works). Instant death to fliers, of course, and I hadn't even gotten one with Galeforce yet, and Galeforce is the most OP thing I've seen in this game.

So yes, especially since it isn't very hard to keep them boxed off with other units, archers are worthwhile, imho.
---
super.....human....androids