Any reason at all to use bows/archers?

#21SazukeEXPosted 3/31/2013 10:03:05 PM
As Mages can do everything but Lonbow that Archer classes can but without the low Speed Cap and 1-1 range weakness...

I see no point.

And since we have Iote's Shield now there's not even a reason to grab Bowbreaker either!
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#22IlluminaZer0Posted 3/31/2013 10:13:26 PM
SazukeEX posted...
As Mages can do everything but Lonbow that Archer classes can but without the low Speed Cap and 1-1 range weakness...

Archers and Dark Mages have the same speed cap, mages have +1.

Sorcerers have the same speed cap as Snipers, and Sages only have +2 speed on Snipers.

1 range weakness is limiting, but using formations to protect units from melee is tactics 101.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#23LaPlaceTransforPosted 3/31/2013 10:22:27 PM
Not really, they made magic too good.
#24Col_MobiusPosted 4/1/2013 3:25:27 AM
IlluminaZer0 posted...
1 range weakness is limiting, but using formations to protect units from melee is tactics 101.

People say this a lot, but the fact is that you pretty much have to make the game more complicated (and thus harder) than it otherwise would be in order to use archers... And, if there's one lesson in Tactics 101, it pretty much has to be "Do the minimum necessary to win". Using archers in this game is a pretty big violation of that.
---
3DS FC: 0533-4140-9968
#25DemiseEndPosted 4/1/2013 3:52:09 AM
Really though, Archer is actually a good class with its own viable niche, its just the game either did not allow their niche to be used enough, or they have laughable stats(GBA Archer are maybe the biggest example of this issue)
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#26Shadow_Master_JPosted 4/1/2013 4:49:00 AM
Col_Mobius posted...
IlluminaZer0 posted...

People say this a lot, but the fact is that you pretty much have to make the game more complicated (and thus harder) than it otherwise would be in order to use archers... And, if there's one lesson in Tactics 101, it pretty much has to be "Do the minimum necessary to win". Using archers in this game is a pretty big violation of that.

This. Also, Lunatic spams enemies and they randomly move the turn they spawn, so if you don't know the turns the reinforcements appear, your Archer may take some hard hits and possibly die.

About enemies' priority targets, they seem to be damage based. I had Libra coupled with Gaius, and Owain coupled with Cynthia when I was on Paralogue 11 (hardest chapter until now), each Berserker had a bit more than 50% chance to hit Libra while dealing 18-20 damage, and 0% chance of hitting Owain while dealing 30-31 damage. The 4 berserkers went for Owain. Needless to say they never landed a hit. The only exception may be when a character can be killed by an enemy's attack, then the enemy attacks said character instead of the one whom he would deal more damage.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!
#27silver123456789Posted 4/1/2013 8:02:13 AM
Lunatic spams enemies and they randomly move the turn they spawn, so if you don't know the turns the reinforcements appear, your Archer may take some hard hits and possibly die.

this is stupid. this applies to every character in hard mode and above since not many units who are unpaired will survive multiple hits. even paired units are dangerous if they go on a suicide streak or something.
---
www.chaoscoalition.net
#28BlueDryBones1Posted 4/1/2013 8:16:05 AM
WolfTwili posted...
Misha-Heart posted...
Lunatic+, where Counter is common after Chapter 2.

this
also there are 3 skills that help to make Snipers very useful, which Virion can't get any of them so I find him better off elsewhere.
the skills are Counter, which gives some defense against close range attacks.
Galeforce, which will allow you to move out of range after you get a kill.
and Pass which will allow you to get away if you get cornered.

and Virion!Inigo gets all of these and 4/5 breaker skills.

My Lunatic+ Inigo is a Sniper and he's one of my most useful units. He has Sol/Axe/Lance/Swordbreaker/Pass.

Might change up his breaker skills as most of the times I only need 1 or 2.
---
Dry Bones+Magikruiser FTW in MKW ^-^
#29MalcolmMasherPosted 4/1/2013 10:22:37 PM
That's actually a negative.

I do not understand. It is not a flaw of Archers (or bows in general) that enemies will sometimes attack other units. But if melee enemies don't attack your Archer, then that does render the Archer's drawback of being unable to counterattack melee enemies insignificant. So, the change in enemy AI that causes them to not prioritize units who cannot retaliate does help Archers, because if you're sure that someone -else- will be the damage magnet, you can use bows freely.

Actually, they seem to prioritize units that cannot retaliate to some extent. I remember having some unit that the ememies wouldn't mob, switching to bow and they suddenly tried to mob him/her.

I remember an enemy Wyvern with a throwing axe attacking Virion at range, when a) he wasn't going to die and b) there were melee-only targets available. I won't claim to be certain how FE13's AI works, but I can definitely say that it's willing to hit enemies that can counter even when there are available targets that cannot.

(That said, I am certain that once the AI chooses a target, it'll avoid that target's counterattack if possible.)
---
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.
#30GSSAGE7Posted 4/1/2013 10:24:22 PM
Archers are really only good for Longbows. Now, bow-using classes in general, there's a decent argument, but they are the best method for defeating Pegasus knights, due to their high resistance, and low defense.