"Fire Emblem" Board Game Ideas

#1deoxyscyclonePosted 3/31/2013 8:39:24 PM
Hallo, peoples! Got a slightly different kind of thread for you all this time.

You see, I am taking an Intro Game Design course at my college, and our assignment at this time is to design and make our own original board game, which (after we create the art and design the whole thing) will be professionally manufactured, published, and sold. Anyway, I am making an SRPG-style board game, and after coming up with some ideas, I realized that it has some similarities to Fire Emblem. So basing off of that idea, I've been taking inspiration from the series, while trying not to outright copy it with anything. I have a Last Man Standing and Capture The Flag kind of "modes," for variety.

So I thought, where better to ask for advice than a very active FE forum? This is where you guys come in. I have about ~10 characters for the players to choose from and use, which will all have different skills and stats. These skills will have varying effects, with each character having 2 each. One skill will be activate-able with a longer cooldown. The other will have a short cooldown, but rely on a dice roll to activate. These skills will be something like added support/stats for the character, or some other helpful effect.

Before I get into that, here are my planned characters (I will use FE terms and names to avoid confusion):

------

Warrior - Generic physical fighter. High Strength and Defense, low Magic and Resistance.

Mage - Generic magical fighter. High Magic and Resistance, low Strength and Defense.

Thief - Speedy character. Frailer than some others, but can move a bit farther per turn.

Archer - Not as frail as the Thief, but has ranged attacks.

Cavalry - Horse riders. Similar to Warriors, but move VERY far per turn, yet screwed by terrain.

Knight - A buffed up Warrior, but very slow (moves short distances per turn). Susceptible to Magic attacks.

Dragon Rider - Flying unit. Can bypass terrain. For balancing issues in Capture The Flag, it moves a lesser distance than Cavalry, so it can't just bypass the entire map.

Healer - Defensive unit (physically and magically), low Strength and Magic. Can heal other members of the team every once in a while.

Berserker - A "sacrificial" character. Crazy Strength, diminished Defense and Resistance. Can sacrifice HP for powered attacks.

Hero - An all-around, balanced unit. Jack of all trades, master of none. Think of this as your "Lord" character.

------

So, there are your characters, guys! I will be working to balance their stats and such, but what I really want from YOU... are skills. What would come to your mind? To help out, these are some planned skills I have for now:

The Thief has a skill that increases its Movement when in possession of an item/weapon or the enemy's "flag."

The Healer can heal any member of the team at any distance (not every turn).

The Berserker can sacrifice a portion of its HP to double (maybe 1.5x) his attack's power.

The Knight can block and take a hit for a nearby ally, using his high Defense to tank it for a save.

The Hero can boost the stats of nearby allies for a turn.

The Dragon Rider can carry a unit, but only if the other unit has not moved at all that turn, and they can only land on a space that the unit can normally inhabit.

Sorry if this is a bit long and confusing, but I really want this to be a game that people will enjoy and replay a lot, while still having fun (reason for all the variety). If you guys have any suggestions or ideas at all, let me have 'em! Don't worry about a skill idea being OP. If I like it, I'll balance it myself during play-testing. If you have any questions, let me know as well.

Thank you all~!!
---
http://nightsbeta09.deviantart.com/
I'm also a Let's Player on YouTube! I LP my favorite games! http://www.youtube.com/user/BetaNights
#2ElSilverWindPosted 3/31/2013 9:05:21 PM
Hmm . . . I'm not too sure about the whole "rescuing" mechanic when game pieces are involve. Do they click onto the dragon rider piece? Or just use your *rainbow hands* imagination?

As for skills, I think the Healer should need to be at least a minimum distance from his target to heal them. Otherwise it's a bit OP with the Beserker.
If the Hero is identical to the Lord unit, they should be a bit frailer than the other fighters. Main skill being the ability to seize or otherwise fulfill victory conditions. Secondary could be the stat boost thing. Maybe call it Charisma. High Priority Unit, similar to the King in chess.

Are there going to be any "Dancer" characters? If not, the healer could theoretically have an "invigorate" spell that does the same thing. (again from at least a minimum distance)

As for mages. Maybe a long range attack (like mire, bolt, meteor, etc.) at fixed low-medium damage as the long cooldown.

Cavalier seems like the perfect "Jack of all Trades" units with adverage stats with movement being his advantage (similar to the Knight in Chess). Short cooldown could be extra movement, long cooldown could be either a second move if he kills an enemy (like galeforce) or maybe a charge (as in rush) attack for extra damage.

Theives short cooldown could be a backstab for extra damage if they're being an enemy unit. (if we're taking flanking into account). Dice is involved so it's not OP.

Just a few ideas.
---
Official Miriel of the Fire Emblem Awakening Boards.
#3deoxyscyclone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 10:06:59 PM
ElSilverWind posted...
Hmm . . . I'm not too sure about the whole "rescuing" mechanic when game pieces are involve. Do they click onto the dragon rider piece? Or just use your *rainbow hands* imagination?

As for skills, I think the Healer should need to be at least a minimum distance from his target to heal them. Otherwise it's a bit OP with the Beserker.
If the Hero is identical to the Lord unit, they should be a bit frailer than the other fighters. Main skill being the ability to seize or otherwise fulfill victory conditions. Secondary could be the stat boost thing. Maybe call it Charisma. High Priority Unit, similar to the King in chess.

Are there going to be any "Dancer" characters? If not, the healer could theoretically have an "invigorate" spell that does the same thing. (again from at least a minimum distance)

As for mages. Maybe a long range attack (like mire, bolt, meteor, etc.) at fixed low-medium damage as the long cooldown.

Cavalier seems like the perfect "Jack of all Trades" units with adverage stats with movement being his advantage (similar to the Knight in Chess). Short cooldown could be extra movement, long cooldown could be either a second move if he kills an enemy (like galeforce) or maybe a charge (as in rush) attack for extra damage.

Theives short cooldown could be a backstab for extra damage if they're being an enemy unit. (if we're taking flanking into account). Dice is involved so it's not OP.

Just a few ideas.

Well, the pieces aren't so big that they can't fit acceptably on a single space without getting confusing for the players, and it only lasts that turn before they have to "release" the unit they're "carrying." Think of it as a movement-only Pair-Up, for a single turn. Besides, that's only an idea, since it may be useful for helping ground units get around some terrain.

I thought about that with the healer, but it does have a cooldown. They can't just heal off a Berserker's sacrifice every single turn to lay waste to the opponent. I'll have to mess with it a bit during play-testing... In the end, I may add a limit if it's still very OP.

Hmm... That's an interesting idea... They're not really based on the Lords, just similar. So it's not like old FEs where they have to be the ones to seize the space, or kill the boss or something. I will definitely keep their defenses mid-range, since they are supposed to be not incredibly strong, but not incredibly easy to kill either. I definitely need to test things with the Heroes, since I've spent the least amount of time on them...

Ah! I like that "Dancer" idea for the Healers! That would definitely round out their role in being more of a "Support" unit, for sure! I'll let you know how that plays out.

Ah, so like a long-range attack that does set damage? Hmm... That would be useful if you need a way to weaken a far-off enemy, so a nearby ally can finish them off without being left vulnerable. Thanks!

I'll take some of those skill ideas into account for the Cavalry unit. He's definitely going to be a balanced sort of character, since I don't want him flying all over the map, tanking hits or mass-killing enemies or bum-rushing the "Flag."

As for the Thief, I should have mentioned this before. The game is 2-player, with each player having one main unit with both skills, and a few smaller units with slightly lower stats and only one skill. Kind of like utility units, in a way... Sorry if that's confusing. ^^" So a backstab skill isn't really viable. Nice idea, though!

Thanks for all the ideas, my friend! I really like some of them, to be honest, and will be testing them out! ^^" Progress should be reported tomorrow.
---
I'm also a Let's Player on YouTube! I LP my favorite games! http://www.youtube.com/user/BetaNights
#4OsrangerPosted 3/31/2013 11:05:44 PM
Create the Virion vs. avatar board game. Objective is capture the leader. Make basic terrain. Line of trees. Four evenly spaced forts. Have like 25 units and force players to choose 9 without the other person seeing. Each physical unit has 3 health. Archers 2. Mages 1. Mages do 3 damage to all units but mages. Against mages only 1. Attack 1 to 2 spaces away. Archers always do 2. Spearmen, axe men, and sword men all do two, but + or - 1 because weapon triangle. Unit attacks, if enemy is not killed, it counter attacks if possible. Commander has 4 health. Choose weapon for him. -1 if archer or Mage. 4 special units. Flier has 1 health but ignores terrain and moves faster.Holds spear. Knight has 7 health. Has axe. Magic does double damage. Calvary 5 movement instead of 3. Has sword. 2 health. Healer, when next to a unit can heal 3 health. One of each special unit. Maximum of four of each othe unit. Each normal unit moves 3 spaces. Knight moves 2 spaces. Flier and Calvary move 5 spaces. You could allow more Calvary, knights healers, change health amounts or movement amounts, but the principle is the same. Forts reduce damage by 1 before doubling etc. and heal 1 health per turn . Forests cause movement to decrease by 1 and subtract 1 damage. Mountains take an entire turn to cross, but a gains +2 defense. Cannot attack while in mountain to prevent camping. May prevent killing blow. Lakes cannot be crossed and act as walls.
If you really want, if a unit kills 3 opponents, it can gain bonuses to health, attack and defense, but that would push the balance.
Edit: allow forests, forts, and lakes, mountains to be set up by opponents as well as units, just make a rule for the commander to be reached.
#5OsrangerPosted 3/31/2013 11:16:45 PM
Oh, didn't read far enough. Well, if you have other ideas, just ignore my above post. To fix the flier problem, replace the wyvern a with pega pony princesses and make them frailer. To make the healer more balanced have the healing effect be on adjacent pieces. That way the healer must join the fray and a stategy must be formed around using them to heal people. Thief seems good, not useful combatant but if be has the flag he gets movement bonuses, may suggestion is to buff his movement when he has the flag to make him a high priority target. Calvaliers are pretty well off. Knights, should have a weakness to magic.
I guess you need something with resistance to magic, but a physical unit, like a monk or something. I don't get the heroes. They seem like worse calvaliers.
#6deoxyscyclone(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2013 11:32:13 PM
Osranger posted...
Oh, didn't read far enough. Well, if you have other ideas, just ignore my above post. To fix the flier problem, replace the wyvern a with pega pony princesses and make them frailer. To make the healer more balanced have the healing effect be on adjacent pieces. That way the healer must join the fray and a stategy must be formed around using them to heal people. Thief seems good, not useful combatant but if be has the flag he gets movement bonuses, may suggestion is to buff his movement when he has the flag to make him a high priority target. Calvaliers are pretty well off. Knights, should have a weakness to magic.
I guess you need something with resistance to magic, but a physical unit, like a monk or something. I don't get the heroes. They seem like worse calvaliers.

Don't worry about it! I liked your ideas! ^^" Since this is an original game, however, and will be published and sold (ie. Copyright issues if I copy FE), I can't do some of those. I'm simply taking inspiration, and asking questions here since fans of FE will offer the best advice for this sort of game, generally.

Anyway, the fliers won't be bulky or anything, in an effort to keep them from becoming OP. The healer will have range so it doesn't have to keep up with all characters. It would make Dragon Riders and Cavalry practically unhealable unless they intentionally use a turn to go back to the healer. And since healing has a cooldown, it shouldn't get too OP. If the others die, the worst a healer can do is stall for a few turns with its defenses.

I'll probably have one or two of the more physically-based characters have decent Resistance, so the Mages can't just range-KO everything on the map. ^^;; The Thieves main advantage is kind of like hit-and-run tactics, or escape from trouble. Perfect for Capture The Flag, but I'll have to work on giving them some use in Last Man Standing. Luckily, there's no "counterattacking" in my game, so you're free to attack anyone you want without TOO much worry (except following gang-ups).

As for Heroes, they are basically balanced units, with slightly higher stats than a Cavalry unit, but less movement. I may have them have some more Resistance, and use the skills to differentiate them. They're kind of like the typical Jack-of-All-Trades characters that many games have.

Thanks for the help and opinions! I appreciate it!
---
#7deoxyscyclone(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 12:46:27 AM
Bump for more ideas.
---
#8OsrangerPosted 4/1/2013 1:01:29 AM
Can't sleep. Add dodging ability to thief for last man standing. Capture the flag ability isn't useful there so try making a combat oriented ability. I thought of myrmidons. They have high evade, but are flimsy. If you could work in , say 1-3 chance of dodging an attack based on die roll, to replace the utility with a combat ability. Or use both.
#9deoxyscyclone(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 1:20:18 AM
Osranger posted...
Can't sleep. Add dodging ability to thief for last man standing. Capture the flag ability isn't useful there so try making a combat oriented ability. I thought of myrmidons. They have high evade, but are flimsy. If you could work in , say 1-3 chance of dodging an attack based on die roll, to replace the utility with a combat ability. Or use both.

Same here, sir. ^^;;

Anyway, I like this idea. I can maybe have some characters have a CTF-savvy skill, and one more useful for LMS.

Given their frailness, a dodgy skill would help, since the Thieves are the closest thing I have to Myrmidons. Thanks for the idea! It will help them become tricky little buggers, and not thought of as useless simply due to them being weaker offensively.

Thank you! :3
---
#101998_zPosted 4/1/2013 2:36:35 AM(edited)
Sounds interesting, I'll try to invest some ideas too.

Well, for a Fire Emblem board game, I'd suggest there's gotta be the leader of the armies too(aka Lords).
Lords are stronger Heroes stat-wise but could only be 1 for each faction. Lords have 2 unique abilites: to boost the stats of all members in the army and boost the movement of all members of armies(can only be used once and not together). About Heroes, change their skill into boosting their attack and defence for few turns. I know it's pretty powerful so their few numbers will pay off their skills.

Although I'd suggest more players though, for more fun and variety. It varies between 2-6 players, and it can be played free for all(FFA: everyone is enemy) or group vs group.
The modes will be like this: Capture the Flag(FFA or group), Last Army Standing(basic FFA), Chess(FFA or group, if the Lord dies then the army lost, basically the classic mode).

I'd suggest varieties on units too, like War Monks(battle and healing) and Pegasus Knights(frailer but faster and can move further than Wyvern Rider), for example.

Also, I'd like to add points. Points allow you to get more units, and it's gotten from defeating enemies. Each type of enemy reward different points, and each units has different costs.
---
People who like Froslass and/or Swampert just like I do: 12
R - Rocket Scientist || Official Trumpeter of the SMTIV board