I want to make an anti-mage guy...

#1RDS1Posted 3/31/2013 10:24:38 PM
By that, I mean I want a physically-inclined unit with good Strength and Resistance, and not just "anyone as long at you slap Tomebreaker on them". That might be simpler and more effective, but it wouldn't be as fun, imo.

So far, I'm thinking Resistance +10 and Aegis for skills, but I'm not sure what else might be helpful (again, no Tomebreaker). I was thinking Swordfaire might be helpful, since swords are the only weapons that can have an intrinsic Resistance boost aside from tomes (and having my anti-mage be a mage seems counterintuitive, again imo). And of course Galeforce (to attack more of those mages that attack from a range per turn) and Armsthrift are also reasonable choices*. I wonder if anyone else can think of some good skills, though.

There's also the problem of what unit to do this on. Resistance +10 is male-only, so that immediately rules out the half of the army I like better. On top of that, Galeforce is female-only unless it's passed to a male, so together, that limits my options to Owain, Brady, Inigo, and Morgan. But I hate Morgan, and Owain and Brady are disadvantaged in Strength, so I'm thinking Inigo would be the best? It helps that he starts with Armsthrift and can reclass to Swordmaster if necessary, so it would just depend on having a father who passes Cavalier. Maybe Frederick, since he doesn't pass negative Resistance. Unfortunately, with a required class set of Mercenary, Myrmidon, and Cavalier, Owain couldn't qualify unless his dad was MU. Brady could get it with Gregor as his father, but this seems like a bad idea since Gregor just barely fills the hole in Strength that Maribelle passes, while also almost wiping out her good Resistance modifier.

So, does anyone else have any ideas?

*I realize that since I have Infinite Regalia, Armsthrift might be a waste. From my perspective, though, there are 31 possible items to get from those chests. If I'm only interested in Tyrfing and Sol Katti, being the only Resistance-boosting swords, then assuming each item has an equal chance of being pulled, the odds that I'd get one of the particular item from a given chest is about 6%; since there are three chests, this means I have about a 17% chance of getting at least one of those swords each time I play Infinite Regalia. In other words, on average, more than four-fifths of the time I wouldn't even get what I'm looking for. On top of this, since Sol Katti and Tyrfing have only 25 durability, they'd be very likely to break unless I have lots of Hammernes on hand, so I would need to play Infinite Regalia a lot in order to build up a good supply. Or I could use this one skill and make the one Tyrfing and Sol Katti I can get for free in each playthrough last forever.

inb4someonementionstomebreakeranyway
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#2Huff n puff 20Posted 3/31/2013 10:32:49 PM
I'm going to give a legit reason why not to tomebreaker on top of your "Doing this without Tomebreaker".

At high SKL values (such as, those seen in TSON, where, "Avoidance" is a myth), Hit VASTLY outscales Avoid. In a 1v1 Capped battle AS-IS, my (+MAG/-STR) Dread Fighter MU with Forseti rocked 74% chance to hit vs a (+STR/-MAG)MU!Cynthia (Sorcerer) armed with Tomebreaker.

Unless you're rocking Breaker+WTA, going purely for the sake of making them miss isn't the best thing out there. They've got it made for making you hit though.
---
I'm a Thinker, I could Break it Down. I'm a Shooter, Trust me Baby! As we jump out, feel it in the will!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8572968/1/Project-Ignition
#3OsrangerPosted 3/31/2013 10:39:06 PM
Try Owain, he has a magical, resistance inclined mother, uses swords, can be passed Galeforce, and is male. With a father with the calvalier tree, put him as a paladin. Paladins have better resistance growth than many physical classes.
#4RDS1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 2:28:44 AM
Bump.
---
#5deoxyscyclonePosted 4/1/2013 2:56:36 AM
This is essentially what I'm doing with my soon-to-be Dread Fighter Lon'qu!Owain. Sure, he doesn't get Aegis, but he does make a naturally great Dread Fighter, and Dread Fighters are game-made mage-killers. He may not be as well-off as Inigo or a Frederick/Stahl!Owain, but it works.
---
http://nightsbeta09.deviantart.com/
I'm also a Let's Player on YouTube! I LP my favorite games! http://www.youtube.com/user/BetaNights
#6RDS1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 7:37:23 AM
'Nother bump.
---
#7WebbOMGPosted 4/1/2013 8:00:03 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8Cheesepower5Posted 4/1/2013 7:58:49 AM(edited)
Barring Morgan, Frederick!Owain is your best bet. With Dread Fighter class and a Swordmaster/Dread Fighter Pair-Up partner, he should make a capable warrior.

(I have Libra!Gerome!Morgan with a Tyrfing and +Res-Mag as a perfect Nosferatank killer, who takes 0-10 damage from the best Nosferatu tanks, like Lon'qu!Severa and Sage Aversa!Morgan and deals at least 40 per turn. Even if both units have All Stats +2, Limit Breaker and Pair-ups, he still matches in Speed and heavily out-damages.)
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official King Marth of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#9WebbOMGPosted 4/1/2013 8:20:47 AM(edited)
Ideally, I'd say:
Armsthrift / Swordfaire / Galeforce
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Sol / Luna / Ignis

w/ Tyrfing

Here's a list of suggestions:

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====
Frederick!Laurent Paladin / Dread Fighter:
Pavise
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Luna / Lifetaker

w/ Tyrfing
Henry!Brady Warrior / Dread Fighter:
Axefaire / Renewal / Galeforce
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Luna / Lifetaker

No Tyrfing if Warrior.
Frederick / Stahl!Owain Paladin / Swordmaster / Dread Fighter:
Swordfaire / Galeforce
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Luna

w/ Tyrfing or Sol Katti
Frederick!Inigo Paladin / Hero / Swordmaster / Dread Fighter:
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Sol / Luna

w/ Tyrfing or Sol Katti

EDIT: Kantonoso made a fine suggestion of utilizing Vantage with 1-2 range weapons.
With this in mine, an alternative for my listed Frederick!Laurent would be Stahl!Laurent which would allow you to replace Pavise with Vantage. Owain and Inigo both have Vantage naturally.
#10KantonosoPosted 4/1/2013 8:04:30 AM
WebbOMG posted...
Ideally, I'd say:
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Sol / Luna / Ignis

w/ Tyrfing

Here's a list of suggestions:

Frederick!Laurent Paladin / Dread Fighter:
Pavise
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Luna / Lifetaker

w/ Tyrfing
Henry!Brady Warrior / Dread Fighter:
Axefaire / Renewal / Galeforce
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Luna / Lifetaker

No Tyrfing if Warrior.
Frederick / Stahl!Owain Paladin / Swordmaster / Dread Fighter:
Swordfaire / Galeforce
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Luna

w/ Tyrfing or Sol Katti
Frederick!Inigo Paladin / Hero / Swordmaster / Dread Fighter:
Aegis
Resistence +10
[Limit Breaker]
Sol / Luna

w/ Tyrfing or Sol Katti

Umm... one huge flaw.

Mages have 1-2 range. These setups let them attack you without any counterattacks. You pretty much need throwing weapons, so swords are kind of....
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn