I want to make an anti-mage guy...

#11WebbOMGPosted 4/1/2013 8:06:15 AM
Kantonoso posted...
Mages have 1-2 range. These setups let them attack you without any counterattacks. You pretty much need throwing weapons, so swords are kind of....

If you read the opening post, you'd see that TC is considering using those 1-1 range weapons for the +5 Res. The purpose of these builds is to take zero or next to no damage from mages. It hardly matters at this level of Res if they hit you or not.
#12WebbOMGPosted 4/1/2013 8:16:00 AM(edited)
There's also zero excuse to not carry around at least a Spear or Tomahawk on each of these units, so that should solve the 1-2 range issue if you find that you are, in fact, taking too much damage and need to start countering to thin the crowd.

FYI; not factoring in any modifiers, units with Resistance +10, Limit Breaker and Tyrfing / Sol Katti will have:
67 Res as a Paladin
68 Res as a Dread Fighter

EDIT: Pairing up with another Dread Fighter will add an additional +8 Str / Res for:
75 Res as a Paladin
76 Res as a Dread Fighter
#13KantonosoPosted 4/1/2013 8:15:59 AM
WebbOMG posted...
Kantonoso posted...
Mages have 1-2 range. These setups let them attack you without any counterattacks. You pretty much need throwing weapons, so swords are kind of....

If you read the opening post, you'd see that TC is considering using those 1-1 range weapons for the +5 Res. The purpose of these builds is to take zero or next to no damage from mages. It hardly matters at this level of Res if they hit you or not.

I've honestly never had that experience, myself. Even with capped res, +10 res, and a +5 res weapon, enemy mages were reliably smacking me for 20+ by the endgame on Lunatic.

I just figured it might be best to just do Vantage *shrug*
---
PSN: Ranylyn. Mass Effect 3 Adept/Sentinel/Engineer
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening. Tactician: Ranylyn
#14WebbOMGPosted 4/1/2013 8:21:40 AM(edited)
Kantonoso posted...
I've honestly never had that experience, myself. Even with capped res, +10 res, and a +5 res weapon, enemy mages were reliably smacking me for 20+ by the endgame on Lunatic.

I just figured it might be best to just do Vantage *shrug*

Vantage is a fine suggestion. Something else to consider: if you're taking 20+ damage now, Limit Breaker will reduce that to 10+ damage in a couple Thursdays.

And then of course the appropriate pair-up + Tyrfing / Sol Katti might reduce that further.
#15Cheesepower5Posted 4/1/2013 8:22:03 AM
Sol and Luna help immensely. Sol let's you heal damage from multiple attackers and Luna will easily let you one-shot them at a certain level of Strength.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official King Marth of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#16vermillion719Posted 4/1/2013 8:56:01 AM
If you're looking for just being unkillable by mages, Libra!Brady!Morgan will have the highest RES outright, and will have access to the weapon-using classes with the most RES. That Brady will still be alright for it, though, if you have other plans for Morgan. (You could also get two very powerful mage-killers if you made Morgan and Brady siblings, but yeah.) You could get similar stats with Libra!Nah!Morgan, but no Dread Fighter.

Otherwise, if you want a mage-killer, you'll probably need one of the male kids, since Dread Fighter is required, which means Owain, Inigo, Brady, Gerome, Yarne, or Laurent. Each one has a mother that hurts either STR or RES, so you'll have to choose which is more important. You can always use Libra as the father for Inigo, Gerome, or Yarne, but they won't be getting any extra STR out of it, just closing that RES gap a little. It should also be noted that, if you're desperate enough, Gerome can get Resistance +2 from his mother to make up for that 2 RES hit she has.

As far as classes go, your top three choices are gonna be Dread Fighter, Paladin, and War Monk, and probably in that order. War Monk is a little less offensive, but at least it has axes. Paladin trades a point of RES for two points of STR, making it a more offensive class. Dread Fighter has the best of both worlds, with the same STR as Paladin and the same RES as War Monk, but it lacks the mobility of the former and the staff utility of the latter.

Skill-wise, you'll want Resistance +10 and Aegis most likely. Say what you will, but Tomebreaker might actually be worth thinking about, just to give mages an extra wall they have to punch through. If you're feeling a super-aggressive approach, Galeforce+Aggressor+Liftetaker might be more your style. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with Vantage.

Stuff to think about.
---
"Gregor can learn despoil, simply because thats what he does to about all the women in supports." - CarefreeDude
#17RDS1(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 6:06:50 PM
One last bump, just in case.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)