Astra vs Luna

#41kazooki117Posted 4/2/2013 10:51:01 AM
Munchkinator posted...
The faire skills can allow you to use a lesser weapon as a greater one. Use a javelin instead of a spear. Thus, reducing the time you need to spend grinding gold by a considerable margin.

And Armsthrift lets you use Ragnell as a default 1-2 range weapon forever without having to worry about replacements.

This saves you a LOT more grinding time than getting and forging all those javelins.

Javelins cost 700 gold. One kill of the 7500 gold guys in GG either gets you one 1.5 forged for Str only, 10 non forged, or 1 forged for Str and secondly Crit. It really does not take that much grinding at all. My main argument is primarily that you do not need to breed with Armsthrift in mind as you do with Sol and Galeforce, as they are both much more important, as well as to an extent Vantage.

-Faire skills are good for those who think that more damage = the only useful stat in Fire Emblem, and situational-at-best for anyone with a working brain given how many other good, and in most cases better, skills exist.

Well that was quite aggressive. The times when you want Faire are not the times when you also want Armsthrift. They are mutually exclusive, though I think that with Forged handaxes/javelins that Faires can do a good enough job making up for a lake of Armsthrift.

TSON is not out yet, and I have not watched a playthrough in depth, but I think I would rather have +5 damage against Anna than Armsthrift, and on the map in general. You don't even have to save after TSON after the first time if you just want the challenge of beating it, in which case Armsthrift is not needed. If you want the optimal build for a map like TSON, Armsthrift is probably not included.
#42kazooki117Posted 4/2/2013 10:54:04 AM
WebbOMG posted...
Here's my take on the Armsthrift debate.

Lets say I just got Limit Breaker. In many cases, the only two skills I'd consider dropping for LB are Armsthrift or a weaponfaire.

If I'm using Ragnell, I drop Swordfaire and keep Armsthrift for infinite 1-2 range sword use and +5 Def.
If I'm using Helswrath, I drop Axefaire and keep Armsthrift for infinite +3mt (effectively a -2mt loss) and +5 Def over a forged Tomahawk.
If I'm using Gradivus, I drop Lancefaire and keep Armsthrift for infinite +6mt (effectively a +1mt gain) and +5 Def over a forged Spear.

And if I'm using Brave weapons, I drop Armsthrift for more damage because I have 117 forged braves + Tomahawks + Spears + Aversa's Nights and don't care about the ~25k it'll cost to replace a brave weapon.

Obviously Gradivus makes the best case for keeping Armsthrift as that's a damn find edge over a forged Spear that your not likely willing to watch diminish.

Just a question. Does this change if you are only going to use the weapon without Armsthrift on one map? Like in the case of TSON. You don't need infinite, you just need 24, as after TSON you can go back to Armsthrift with a 1/25 weapon.
#43spyke252Posted 4/2/2013 12:21:19 PM
kazooki117 posted...
WebbOMG posted...

Lets say I just got Limit Breaker. In many cases, the only two skills I'd consider dropping for LB are Armsthrift or a weaponfaire.

If I'm using Ragnell, I drop Swordfaire and keep Armsthrift for infinite 1-2 range sword use and +5 Def.
If I'm using Helswrath, I drop Axefaire and keep Armsthrift for infinite +3mt (effectively a -2mt loss) and +5 Def over a forged Tomahawk.
If I'm using Gradivus, I drop Lancefaire and keep Armsthrift for infinite +6mt (effectively a +1mt gain) and +5 Def over a forged Spear.

And if I'm using Brave weapons, I drop Armsthrift for more damage because I have 117 forged braves + Tomahawks + Spears + Aversa's Nights and don't care about the ~25k it'll cost to replace a brave weapon.

Obviously Gradivus makes the best case for keeping Armsthrift as that's a damn find edge over a forged Spear that your not likely willing to watch diminish.

Just a question. Does this change if you are only going to use the weapon without Armsthrift on one map? Like in the case of TSON. You don't need infinite, you just need 24, as after TSON you can go back to Armsthrift with a 1/25 weapon.

Don't know about you, but I like my weapons to be 25/25.
Though, if you have two Ragnells, you can't use your technique anyway, as they'll be consolidated into one Ragnell with 2 uses if you put them in convoy, and that's pretty suck.
#44SlashReturnsPosted 4/2/2013 12:23:31 PM
Armsthrift is always good, specially because I don't feel like grinding money cause there is an easier way to not break them..

Also I like Astra early on, but Luna later on when enemies actually have defense worth noting.
---
I am Inigo. Ladies, smile you are all beautiful!/Official Husbando of Nah<3
http://botc.forumotion.com/forum
#45Cheesepower5Posted 4/2/2013 12:29:16 PM
WebbOMG posted...

Dat Gradivus seems pretty worth dumping Renewal for on my tank Avatar. +5 Def seems pretty enticing in comparison, so having infinite Gradivus would be stellar.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official King Marth of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#46SliceSabrePosted 4/2/2013 12:33:15 PM
Astra. Every time.
---
@w@
Gamertag: SliceSabre
#47kazooki117Posted 4/2/2013 12:40:41 PM
spyke252 posted...

Though, if you have two Ragnells, you can't use your technique anyway, as they'll be consolidated into one Ragnell with 2 uses if you put them in convoy, and that's pretty suck.

A minor thing, but you can go oldschool and have some useless schmuck like Virion be a donkey instead of consolidating Ragnells in the convoy.
#48spyke252Posted 4/2/2013 12:42:48 PM
kazooki117 posted...
spyke252 posted...

A minor thing, but you can go oldschool and have some useless schmuck like Virion be a donkey instead of consolidating Ragnells in the convoy.

I mean, that's a level of tedium that's a little beyond what I'm willing to suffer through. I'd almost rather have to get another Ragnell than never be able to use the "store all" option for convoy.
#49WebbOMGPosted 4/2/2013 1:21:11 PM
To answer your question, I have considered tackling TSON without Armsthrift and blowing through several divines, but after thinking about it my units will already be so overpowered that that seems redundant and doesn't seem like it will accomplish anything more than costing me a handful of divine weapons.
#50WebbOMGPosted 4/2/2013 1:24:04 PM
Also my general rule of thumb is to consolidate down to 5 or less and then use a Hammerne.

I've never had the chance to use a Hammerne in this game (I have 27 in my most recent playthrough) but that's my gameplan.