How to fix Archers, tactically

#51Bronze_StuffPosted 4/2/2013 9:47:14 PM
Progamer2003 posted...
TwinkinoutRM posted...

I don't know man. Shin, Klein, and Igrene were all pretty useful when I played FE6. Keep in mind that FE6's map design is pretty different than FE7's and enemy stats are higher there too so good, accurate offense without taking a counter was pretty nice there.

Hell even Wolt was useful early on.

The problem is that just like this game, your mages could do the same thing archers could. Hit rate isn't really an issue with anima tomes, and even if it was you could alleviate that with supports.

They only games where archers were one of the better units was FE12, FE9, and FE10, and that's because their stats were buffed enough to where they could ORKO reliably on their own. Snipers had a 29 Spd cap and Horsemen had a 30 Spd cap in FE12 while Sages only had 25 SPD.

In every other game they're usually left as a fragile ranged chip damage class that can easily be abandoned later in the game when your other units are strong enough to where you can ORKO and don't need chip damage anymore.

Mages were not good in FE10. They were horrible. Archers weren't great in FE9 or FE10 either. Marksmen were good because of the double bow. Other than that, they still had the same problems other archers did. Archers are still "meh" in FE12 too. Archers aren't good. Even when the character is good with growths, that's because of the character, not the class itself.
---
Jimbo.
#52Karakasa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 10:00:55 PM
Bronze_Stuff posted...
Progamer2003 posted...
TwinkinoutRM posted...

I don't know man. Shin, Klein, and Igrene were all pretty useful when I played FE6. Keep in mind that FE6's map design is pretty different than FE7's and enemy stats are higher there too so good, accurate offense without taking a counter was pretty nice there.

Hell even Wolt was useful early on.

The problem is that just like this game, your mages could do the same thing archers could. Hit rate isn't really an issue with anima tomes, and even if it was you could alleviate that with supports.

They only games where archers were one of the better units was FE12, FE9, and FE10, and that's because their stats were buffed enough to where they could ORKO reliably on their own. Snipers had a 29 Spd cap and Horsemen had a 30 Spd cap in FE12 while Sages only had 25 SPD.

In every other game they're usually left as a fragile ranged chip damage class that can easily be abandoned later in the game when your other units are strong enough to where you can ORKO and don't need chip damage anymore.

Mages were not good in FE10. They were horrible. Archers weren't great in FE9 or FE10 either. Marksmen were good because of the double bow. Other than that, they still had the same problems other archers did. Archers are still "meh" in FE12 too. Archers aren't good. Even when the character is good with growths, that's because of the character, not the class itself.

Right. I feel like unlike the artillery of Advance Wars, archers don't even get their own niche because it's taken by mages. They really need the additional range to set them apart and make them a competitive option, especially in a game that allows class switching.
#53DemiseEndPosted 4/2/2013 10:08:14 PM
Its always the Character that is the problem

Even in FE12, where Archer class are amazing, the only character who is actually a well known Archer..... is Draug. Draug of all people.
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#54Karakasa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 10:13:35 PM
DemiseEnd posted...

Even in FE12, where Archer class are amazing, the only character who is actually a well known Archer..... is Draug. Draug of all people.

Irrelevant for any game with class switching like Awakening though... I would never class switch a character into Archer unless that's the final class -- and I have no use for Snipers in my lunatic playthrough.
#55Xenesis XenonPosted 4/2/2013 10:17:43 PM
Karakasa posted...
Right. I feel like unlike the artillery of Advance Wars, archers don't even get their own niche because it's taken by mages. They really need the additional range to set them apart and make them a competitive option, especially in a game that allows class switching.

Well, the thing is about Advance Wars is that every unit has a cost to build and purchase. Artillery are great because they're cheap, sturdy and do excellent damage for their cost.

Because there's no economic aspect to FE beyond FE7's funds ranking and making sure you have enough money so that your units don't end up weaponless, other factors like utility and whatnot start to become the only defining features.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#56IceDissolverPosted 4/2/2013 11:02:54 PM
I'm really not sure. If we're not changing stat caps, 1-2 range seems pointless when other classes do it better.

And for 3-4 range, couldn't you just use a Mire Sorcerer for that? Mire doesn't double, but it's not like Snipers are doubling anything either... (Except for Generals and Manaketes, who lol at Sniper with their sky high Def.) They're even tankier than Snipers, so if they get attacked, they care less.
#57DemiseEndPosted 4/2/2013 11:11:04 PM
Karakasa posted...
DemiseEnd posted...

Irrelevant for any game with class switching like Awakening though... I would never class switch a character into Archer unless that's the final class -- and I have no use for Snipers in my lunatic playthrough.

uhhhh..... Draug is in a reclass game, so him being amazing is a massive plus

Hunter is like one of the best option for him, when his other choices are glass cannons with weaker 2 range attack, and Cavalier that can only be used in New Game+

Like i said, the character is the problem, and as a new addition, followed by the structure of the game
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#58AphophPosted 4/3/2013 6:57:24 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#59AphophPosted 4/3/2013 6:58:50 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]