Thinking about getting this game but how's the story? (No Spoilers!)

#1fifinamboPosted 4/8/2013 8:34:15 AM
I like good, engaging stories in my JRPGS. So, I guess I want to ask:

1.) Is the story good (no spoilers please)?
2.) What's the game length?
3.) I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Is that a problem for understanding the story or getting references?

Thanks.
---
Yes I think we`ve got a problem. So much for the afterglow.
#2Flourescent15Posted 4/8/2013 8:37:25 AM
1. The story is alright. It's not terrible, but some parts feel kind of rushed. The game doesn't really develop a solid antagonist until the end, and some of the characters rely on stereotypes. But, it's not a story that is hateable so to speak.

2. It's a short game if you don't grind/do the extra chapters.

3. No, you won't have a problem understanding the story or the references. You may miss the reference to Marth if you haven't played SSBM or SSBB.
---
"Who can know if the path we choose is right or wrong? I will fear no reproach." - Tactics Ogre: LUCT
#3DemiseEndPosted 4/8/2013 8:43:11 AM
Story is good for a moment before it goes downhill and suddenly become terrible

Thats..... pretty much it
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#4Strawberry_EggsPosted 4/8/2013 8:47:25 AM(edited)
The story is decent overall. The first 11 chapters are excellent, but the plot really drops the ball afterwards as it crams in two rushed story arcs. It won't come off as bad, and it should still hold your interest, but you may feel like it could be much better. The characters will likely come off as stereotypical until your see their support conversations (optional scenes between two characters). Certain scenes may tug at your heartstrings, especially if you go with certain options.

The length is about 40 hours or so.

Though this game takes place in the same setting as the first couple of games, it takes place thousands of years afterwards and needs no understanding of said games to play it (many of those game never made it over here anyway). There are some references, but they shouldn't be confusing.
---
My 25 Most Favorite Games - http://www.unikgamer.com/members/strawberryeggs-786.html
Official Nah of the Fire Emblem: Awakening board.
#5BobrykPosted 4/8/2013 8:47:38 AM
1.) Story is fine. Typical Fire Emblem. A few things needed a bit of...work, but it's not bad. The characters are really well done as are their support conversations.

2.) Depends. If you do all the extra chapters and grind, a long time. If not, then typical Fire Emblem length. My first time through was around 45 hours. Typical Fire Emblem length is 20 or so hours.

3.) Story is completely new so you're good there, but you won't understand a lot of the optional content. It takes place on Marth's world so there will occasionally be a throwback that you won't recognize, and all the spotpass/DLC content features characters from past fire Emblems.

Also, this is not a JRPG. This is a strategy RPG. So don't go in thinking it'll play like a JRPG. Very different things.
#6XendylPosted 4/8/2013 8:54:17 AM
1) IMO. Overall, it's okay. The beginning was rushed to me. (Ex. What happens in Chapter 6 felt way too early) The rest was okay.

Granted, this is a handheld game so it has its limits in space, but the story definitely could've benefited with more chapters.
---
Let's Play: Tales of Xillia 2
http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88265
#7peter_888Posted 4/8/2013 8:58:03 AM
it`s decent. it`s just really rushed.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#8Unnoticed_HeroPosted 4/8/2013 9:18:32 AM
While the story itself isn't anything fantastic, I think the characters are what draw me to the game. Some of them rely on their own special quirks, but overall, I think most players tend to actually care for certain characters.

So while I wouldn't recommend it for its story, I would definitely recommend it for the characters and how easy it is to get attached to them.
---
YOUR CONTRITION IS SWEET AMBROSIA.
- Fire Emblem: Awakening
#9HejiruPosted 4/8/2013 9:20:55 AM
Not as good as other Fire Emblem games, but still decent.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#10rhys855Posted 4/8/2013 9:23:51 AM
I like good, engaging stories in my JRPGS. So, I guess I want to ask:

1.) Is the story good (no spoilers please)?
2.) What's the game length?
3.) I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Is that a problem for understanding the story or getting references?

Thanks.

The story is just below average in my book it had some good moments but it's pretty rushed so i only give it a 6/10

One playthrough will take about 10 hours. But the replay last no less than 30 hours.

No. But you will not recognize the Easter eggs they throw in. If you even care.
---
Official Kisame of the NUNS3 Boards