Thinking about getting this game but how's the story? (No Spoilers!)

#11cymbalinaPosted 4/8/2013 8:29:59 AM
fifinambo posted...
I like good, engaging stories in my JRPGS. So, I guess I want to ask:

1.) Is the story good (no spoilers please)?
2.) What's the game length?
3.) I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Is that a problem for understanding the story or getting references?

Thanks.

1) First eleven chapters are mostly quite good with a few mis-steps. Then it just falls apart IMO. It almost feels like two different teams of people wrote it. The characters are engaging, though.

2) Pretty short main-game with a bonanza of extras, some of them paid DLC. My average PT length is about 25-30 hours with mild-to-moderate grinding and DLC use.

3) No. It makes things more amusing to get the references but it's not necessary... though this is a very nostalgia-drenched game that seems like a Valentine to the fanbase in many places.
#12Deoxys_PrimePosted 4/8/2013 8:30:01 AM
fifinambo posted...

3.) I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Is that a problem for understanding the story or getting references?

Thanks.

1. It's nothing special. It's plain and it gets the job done. It's essentially done in 3 smaller arcs. The first isn't bad. The second one feels like filler. The third is much too short.
2. I have roughly 180 hours combined. My first playthrough took me roughly 30 hours. My longest playthrough took me almost 100 hours (which is way longer than it should have taken.) This game has immense replay value.
3. You'll miss some minor references, but this game stands alone. They make references to previous characters at times though (more of a shout-out to longtime fans of the series rather than being integral to the story.

This game is an exception rather than a norm for the Fire Emblem series. The FE series isn't known for good storylines (the games usually have passable stories but not much more than that.) FE games usually are a little bit JRPG and a lot of SRPG. This game takes a lot more from the JRPG side of things and loses a bit of the strategy.

This game is by no means bad and I think almost any RPG fan would like this game. Even if the story isn't anything special, the rest of the game is very good.
---
Pokemon Black 2: 1206 8347 0149
#13Master_GamerPosted 4/8/2013 8:41:26 AM
fifinambo posted...
I like good, engaging stories in my JRPGS.:

...good, engaging stories...JRPG...

Um, I think you made a mistake here. Everyone knows like 95% of JRPGs don't have good, engaging stories. They might have good, engaging characters, settings, worldbuilding if you're lucky, like the Mario RPGs or the Mother series. But nearly never good.
---
http://youtu.be/n5Drq_YW0Gs http://youtu.be/dK-Z0Ts-jVc
Mega Man rocks.
#14Teh_MaimedPosted 4/8/2013 8:54:10 AM
Okay tbh I found the story the absolute worst and blandest of all the localized Fire Emblems. It was just the typical save the world story and you absolutely feel nothing for the protagonists and antagonists. However, the saving grace of the characters are their support conversations. You can even marry them off too.

But if you're looking for a good story and solid gameplay go for FE7, simply called Fire Emblem, or FE8, aka Fire Emblem the Sacred Stones. Or, you can try FE9 which is the beloved Ike's entrance to the series (beware though, the first two are GBA and FE9 is GameCube which are all hard to find nowadays). All three game stories I particularly liked - and liked so much more than this FE.
---
:-)
#15Ari917Posted 4/8/2013 9:11:17 AM
fifinambo posted...

Thanks.

1) It's nothing special, it starts off well and then falls completely off with the second arc and doesn't get better from there. The villains are pretty bland and some of their motivations aren't revealed in the main storyline or just not at all. The heroic characters also fall into typical character archetypes we've seen before and we don't get too much development out of them unfortunately.

2) I had about 40-50 hours, but that's including all of the restarts I had to do.

3) Not at all, to the games credit it explains those elements well enough.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#16almostexactlyPosted 4/8/2013 9:39:26 AM
The story is an amalgam of references and reimaginings of Fire Emblem plots. It frequently feels like fanservice and that's okay. But the resulting patchwork plot doesn't feel very cohesive, as if all these elements were intended to be part of the same story.

However, the story, while having these elements, is still it's own. It's not a sequel in the strictest sense and the few recurring characters introduce themselves properly.

This is all said in retrospect, after beating the game. While playing it, I got caught up in the unfolding events and found it engaging and charming.
#17Sentinel07Posted 4/8/2013 9:43:10 AM
Master_Gamer posted...
fifinambo posted...

Um, I think you made a mistake here. Everyone knows like 95% of JRPGs don't have good, engaging stories. They might have good, engaging characters, settings, worldbuilding if you're lucky, like the Mario RPGs or the Mother series. But nearly never good.

All the ones I've have played have very good stories.

The Mario RPGs, the Tales games (especially Tales of Symphonia), Arc Rise Fantasia, Kingdom Hearts, and even quite a few of the Final Fantasy games have some good stories. What hot air are you blowing out?
#18Flourescent15Posted 4/8/2013 11:01:24 AM
Master_Gamer posted...
fifinambo posted...

If you play newer ones maybe. There are quite a few older ones that have pretty great stories. ie; Xenogears.
---
"Who can know if the path we choose is right or wrong? I will fear no reproach." - Tactics Ogre: LUCT
#19SazukeEXPosted 4/8/2013 11:02:52 AM
Story is fine even if I hate certain elements that were used and the Valm Arc should have gotten a few more Chapters as well as certain villains getting more screen time.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#20SpikayaPosted 4/8/2013 11:41:57 AM
SazukeEX posted...
Valm Arc should have gotten a few more Chapters

What.

WHAAAAAAAT.
---
FEA Board - Official Husbando of RNG Goddess Anna :3
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind.