Trying to make Dread Fighter "work" : Owain!Lon'qu analysis

#1tw1g_007Posted 4/15/2013 12:26:41 PM(edited)
[Long read]

Anyway, I came across this Owain discovery out of nowhere and wanted people to critique it. I always felt the Dread Fighter class sucked until I came across this pairing:

Owain!Lon'qu as Dread Fighter

STR & MAG @ 41
SKL @ 43
SPD @ 45 (pretty impressive given how slow this class is)
DEF @ 37
RES @ 43

Optimum Owain!Lon'qu Dread Fighter skills: [Limit breaker, All+2, Demon Fighter, Galeforce, Astra] (I am offense oriented)

Optimum pairing: Dark Flier

Naturally, this won't be the best Dread Fighter given we have Grandmaster MU possibilities galore but maybe this could come close? Not having Armsthrift is regrettable but I then thought to myself: "Does that even matter?".

I wanted Owain to specialize in all the magical weapons like Levin Sword and Bolt Axe which is pretty damn perfect since they can be re-bought unlike Shock Spear (what were the devs thinking?). Celica Gale for Tomes and we have 2-slots left. So I guess maybe Brave Sword and Brave Axe? Since I am horribly inexperienced with Dread Fighters, I wondered if I would ever use physical weapons on a magic focused Dread Fighter.

I have considered other Owain Fathers and the closest possibility to Lon'qu was Virion. Every other option kind of sucked or maybe I overlooked more possibilities? Virion could work if you want Lifetaker though. My main "beef" with Virion was he capped Owain's speed @ 44. You need 45 to "double" Anna and to be honest, you pretty much can't fix [All+2] anywhere after Lifetaker takes its place [LB, Lifetaker, Demon Fighter, Galeforce, Astra].

TL;DR Lon'qu if you care about doubling everything in the game. Virion if you want more survivability via Lifetaker.

Would like some inputs please. Sorry for the looong write up lol. Dread Fighters are completely new for me.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?
#2SazukeEXPosted 4/15/2013 12:32:41 PM
Wish it had a better activation skill than Astra....

And the skill overlap Lon'qu has with Owain is painful.

Give me a moment of silence, please.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#3tw1g_007(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 12:35:18 PM
Oh just thought I'd add that Ricken might be the best pairing if you don't care about doubling Anna. I am still slightly biased towards Lon'qu but you can't deny that Ricken gives amazing skills.

Owain!Ricken @ Dread Fighter [Lifetaker and Luna access but speed @ 42]
Owain!Lon'qu @ Dread Fighter [Astra but speed @ 45 so he can double everything in the game with a Dark Flier pairing]
Owain!Virion @ Dread Fighter [Astra but speed @ 44]

Virion is kind of inbetween so I guess it comes down to Lon'qu and Ricken.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?
#4tw1g_007(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 12:35:58 PM
SazukeEX posted...
Wish it had a better activation skill than Astra....

And the skill overlap Lon'qu has with Owain is painful.

Give me a moment of silence, please.

Sazuke read my Ricken thoughts, I think he may be the best? I just don't like his max speed.
---
#5SazukeEXPosted 4/15/2013 12:42:08 PM(edited)
Luna and Lifetaker are good but the SPD drop hurts...

Don't even think Special Dance with Limit Breaker+Rallies+Tiki's Tear can make the difference up when it matters most.

What about Virion?

But than again you're still stuck with only Astra still.

Hmm..

Tough one here.

Not really seeing much option out there for a great Dread Fighter Owain outside marrying Lissa.
---
#6tw1g_007(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2013 12:45:38 PM(edited)
SazukeEX posted...
Luna and Lifetaker are good but the SPD drop hurts...

Don't even think Special Dance with Limit Breaker+Rallies+Tiki's Tear can make the difference up when it matters most.

What about Virion?

But than again you're still stuck with only Astra still.

Hmm..

Tough one here.

Not really seeing much option out there for a great Dread Fighter Owain outside marrying Lissa.

Yea. That is just how bad the class is lol. I mean... even the best possible version Dread Fighter ( +MAG-DEF MU!Owain ) gets 44 SPD max. Atleast this is remedied with All+2 and Owain gets Ignis advantage.

Edit: Yuck. I wouldn't even marry MU to Maribelle. The female Morgan would suck. Magic literally caps at 51 as a Sorcerer LOL.
---
#7HonzouPosted 4/15/2013 12:57:36 PM
tw1g_007 posted...
Not having Armsthrift is regrettable but I then thought to myself: "Does that even matter?".

Of course it matters not. Not when you gonna use Astra and Brave weapons. Even then you could simply leave two slots for bare necessities.
---
The All Father has bequeath me the gift of battle. So now I bequeath you my spear through your heart.
The official Eligor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#8SazukeEXPosted 4/15/2013 1:03:38 PM
Armsthrift is only mandatory if you want to Nostank or tank in general with any efficiency.

As Owain isn't trying to do that and he has Gale Force isn't as big of an issue for him. Sure he wont get to abuse Legends and will need reforges later but his Reforging issues are nowhere as high as a NosTank or Tank's by far.

That and Nostanks can't use Aversa's Night without Armsthrift anyway... Which is a huge deal due to how much better it is compared to Nos and that Nos only has 20 uses.
---
#9SlurredStaccatoPosted 4/15/2013 1:11:40 PM
So I've heard a lot about "Dread Fighter Owain", but would Henry make a good one? Or should I just keep Owain as Sorcerer?
#10NidtendofreakPosted 4/15/2013 1:11:46 PM
How well would Libra fit in? Its another magic option but I don't think it hurts the speed as much, AND it throws in dark mage line skills. Can't remember his other class lines.
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.