How will new Fire Emblem games top this game?

#51WhiteTigerShiroPosted 4/18/2013 3:26:05 PM
I think that if they keep the Avatar (which I hope they do, it's kind of a cool idea), they should limit his class options. A thought: Tie it to the asset and flaw stats that you choose. Maybe each class gets a priority modifier (for lack of a better term) of 2 from one stat, and 1 from a couple of other stats. That modifier is either added or subtracted depending on if you took the stat as an asset or a flaw.

So let's say... Fighter would be linked to Strength for it's +2, and also HP and Skill for +1. So if you wanted a build that used the Fighter, you'd want to pick one of those three stats (probably Strength), and then avoid picking one of the other two stats as your flaw. Say if you were to take Skill as your Asset, but Strength as your Flaw, Fighter would be at -1 and thus locked-out for that character (but other classes could be unlocked from that combo). And your 2nd Tier class options would obviously be based on what 1st Tiers you unlocked.

So basically, each stat would have one or two classes pretty much guaranteed when you take it as your asset, while another stat would lock-out a couple. From there the minor +/-1 bonuses would duke it out to maybe unlock one or two other classes. It might take a little balancing and tweaking, maybe even assigning a class or two to a stat that doesn't necessarily fit for the sake of balance, but I think it'd be a cool way to balance-out what classes you can pick.
---
"Not all who wander are lost."
http://whitetigershiro.blogspot.com/
#52imthestuntmanPosted 4/18/2013 3:31:51 PM
well seeing as how this game is about 5 steps backward in terms of map design just putting map design on par with other games in the series while leaving everything else the same would top this. making custom character models and giving the ability to customize them for my unit would be a huge step forward too.
---
I whole heartedly despise IGN. Bad reviews and incorrect information.
#53imthestuntmanPosted 4/18/2013 3:33:42 PM
WhiteTigerShiro posted...
I think that if they keep the Avatar (which I hope they do, it's kind of a cool idea), they should limit his class options. A thought: Tie it to the asset and flaw stats that you choose. Maybe each class gets a priority modifier (for lack of a better term) of 2 from one stat, and 1 from a couple of other stats. That modifier is either added or subtracted depending on if you took the stat as an asset or a flaw.

So let's say... Fighter would be linked to Strength for it's +2, and also HP and Skill for +1. So if you wanted a build that used the Fighter, you'd want to pick one of those three stats (probably Strength), and then avoid picking one of the other two stats as your flaw. Say if you were to take Skill as your Asset, but Strength as your Flaw, Fighter would be at -1 and thus locked-out for that character (but other classes could be unlocked from that combo). And your 2nd Tier class options would obviously be based on what 1st Tiers you unlocked.

So basically, each stat would have one or two classes pretty much guaranteed when you take it as your asset, while another stat would lock-out a couple. From there the minor +/-1 bonuses would duke it out to maybe unlock one or two other classes. It might take a little balancing and tweaking, maybe even assigning a class or two to a stat that doesn't necessarily fit for the sake of balance, but I think it'd be a cool way to balance-out what classes you can pick.

i like the idea of it being linked to the unit asset/flaw. but i think that this should be used to pick additional classes, and that rather than being set you should have free choice of your units first class, meaning no having to reclass my unit or worry about a person missing out on their favorite because they didnt use a guide to tell them what their skill selection meant,
---
#54imthestuntmanPosted 4/18/2013 3:34:46 PM
dark-world-q8 posted...
-better maps and gameplay in main chapters, i enjoyed playing the paralogue and DLC chapters much more.
-the magic trinity(dark vs anima vs light)
-the game should be less broken
-more victory requirements(seize the throne, escape, etc)
-fog of war
-better combat animations
-feet
-the classes should be more balanced
-Avatar shouldn't be a big part of the story
-better looking models, they look short
-the DLC character should look unique not like another avatar.
-they should add the crusader scrolls from FE5.
-The story feels really rushed
-the characters should look better in the map grid, they look like character models from a gba or snes game.

don't get me wrong i like this game, but it suffers from a lot of problems

this is pretty much all true.
---
#55WhiteTigerShiroPosted 4/18/2013 3:39:54 PM
imthestuntman posted...
i like the idea of it being linked to the unit asset/flaw. but i think that this should be used to pick additional classes, and that rather than being set you should have free choice of your units first class, meaning no having to reclass my unit or worry about a person missing out on their favorite because they didnt use a guide to tell them what their skill selection meant,
Maybe to answer the concern of missing-out on a preferred class, the selection option would tell you to which classes the stat is aligned. Then if there's a specific class you want to pick, you just look for the stat that lists it, then pick it as your asset.

Maybe even before you finalize the choice, it can give you an option to review your available classes. Don't like how the list looks, you can go back and re-pick.
---
#56BarkitPosted 4/18/2013 4:13:44 PM
I can't help but feel like a lot of people are forgetting the fact this game is on a handheld portable system. I bet the developers actually wanted to add some of the things everyone is suggesting but the system just wouldn't be able to handle it.

Also, I hated the wifi battles. Too many people cheat and abused the feature. Plus, it just doesn't feel appropriate for a Fire Emblem game IMO.
#57HonzouPosted 4/18/2013 4:35:04 PM
The funny thing is... FE:A is just over 1GB of data, meaning the cartridges can accommodate more data for the game.

Also I point out that RE: Revelations is roughly 2.5GBs and you can see how well it looks graphically.

So yeah... It's not processing power, it was hindsight of the devs.
---
The All Father has bequeath me the gift of battle. So now I bequeath you my spear through your heart.
The official Eligor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#58CaptainlunaticPosted 4/18/2013 4:41:04 PM
Barkit posted...
I can't help but feel like a lot of people are forgetting the fact this game is on a handheld portable system. I bet the developers actually wanted to add some of the things everyone is suggesting but the system just wouldn't be able to handle it.

Also, I hated the wifi battles. Too many people cheat and abused the feature. Plus, it just doesn't feel appropriate for a Fire Emblem game IMO.

Handheld portable system isn't that much of an excuse with the 3DS, it's actually fairly powerful and as others have said the reason this game didn't have those features is because the developers didn't realize they had more room to put things into the game.
---
Tada! I'm a tomato!
#59WhiteTigerShiroPosted 4/18/2013 4:42:46 PM
Honzou posted...
The funny thing is... FE:A is just over 1GB of data, meaning the cartridges can accommodate more data for the game.

Also I point out that RE: Revelations is roughly 2.5GBs and you can see how well it looks graphically.

So yeah... It's not processing power, it was hindsight of the devs.

Which is fair enough, though it's still entirely possible that there were a number of things they wanted to add, but couldn't due to time constraints. After-all, one mark of a good developer is knowing when its time to stop adding new stuff to the game, and time to just polish and complete what's already in there. Take Duke Nukem Forever, for example... yeah... >.>

I wouldn't doubt that SF has a whole list of things that they've brainstormed as ideas for future games, but still need a bit of polish or just to be implemented earlier in the development phase to work-out.
---
#60HonzouPosted 4/18/2013 4:49:10 PM
Right indeed Shiro.

But I only used the word hindsight due to an interview that showed that the devs weren't aware that the 3DS had better specs than what they originally had in mind.
---
The All Father has bequeath me the gift of battle. So now I bequeath you my spear through your heart.
The official Eligor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board