Rate the Skill, Paralogue 9: Magic/Defense/Resistance +2

#31guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 7:29:40 PM
spyke252 posted...
guedesbrawl posted...

you do know how taking 2 less damage over time can help you survive much longer, right? (in fact, res +2 saved my ass 5 minutes ago). Or how those +2s in attack suddenly turn into +4? how they suddenly help you kill things?

Granted, they actually save you from death every once in a great while, but so do other skills in D. 1

I mean, you have a good grasp too, but you're still comparing it to weaker skills. Rally luck is provably better than Luck+4, does that mean *it* deserves a C? 2 Showing that it's better than even the majority of the skills in the tier is useless for comparison purposes. After all, some skill in the tier is going to be better than the others no matter how you slice it- if you want to prove something deserves less than a tier, you compare it to the best skill in the tier; if you want to prove something deserves better, you compare it to the worst skill in the tier above. 3

Xdoor fighter is unreliable for any permanent skillset, and "abusing" outdoor is an gross exaggeration. it's not like being mildly useful, for 4 fights in 2 difficulties and utterly useless afterwards is enough to pull it out of D tier.

I don't want the Xdoor fighters pulled out of D tier. They're almost always useless. The point being that Outdoor fighter contributes more than Mag/Def/Res +2 ever will (Simply because of Freddy vs Hammer users in Ch1 and 3), 4therefore they deserve to be in the same tier or less as Outdoor Fighter.

The other C rank skills provide enough usefulness to be considered for 1st gen skillsets (as most don't have enough good skills, even with limit break) and can be decently useful throughout the game, as soon as you get them. They provide reliable bonuses too.

Yeah, but +2s don't. That's my point.5

1- Saving one from death is not just what a skill is supposed to do. In my example, my mariabelle was left with 1HP after a magical attack, that's a rare case, sure; but it was an early game skirmish. Later on, magic is far more common, and by shaving off 2 damage here and there you don't need to waste a turn healing the user. In a hypothetical case, giving it to Cherche won't fix her RES issue, but she can be saved from being OHKO'd by that Forseti user in IR.

2- It's a trade off between size and duration. Other rallies get a better rank because the bonus is significant even if it lasts a turn, but both luck and skill work on probabilities. it's very likely that both as a rally and as +x, they will be equally useless, because the boost is far too small. In fact, all D rank skills ultimately work as small % bonuses to something.

3- Your suggestion?

4-... please tell me you didn't say that. no, seriously, you are joking now, right?

5-so, being always active (reliable), being decently useful throughout the game (helps a bit, still helps enough) makes then D tier material? "totally useless" material?
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#32guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 7:31:41 PM
you know, you should try to do a no-grinding run one day. you might understand why those skills don't belong a C that way. also, to answer the other user's question (sorry, forgot your name), no, you don't need to justify. It's always nice to, though...
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#33guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 8:02:35 PM
last chance...
---
Confession Time!
#34Pitbuller_26Posted 4/21/2013 8:03:31 PM
Cs across the board for me.
---
http://kzemo.com/rotate/pitbuller26-1268.png http://kzemo.com/rotate/pitbuller26-1749.png http://kzemo.com/rotate/pitbuller26-1750.png
#35guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 8:14:36 PM
vote closed.
---
Confession Time!
#36guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 8:14:37 PM
vote closed.
---
Confession Time!
#37spyke252Posted 4/21/2013 9:09:53 PM(edited)
guedesbrawl posted...

1- Saving one from death is not just what a skill is supposed to do. In my example, my mariabelle was left with 1HP after a magical attack, that's a rare case, sure; but it was an early game skirmish. Later on, magic is far more common, and by shaving off 2 damage here and there you don't need to waste a turn healing the user. In a hypothetical case, giving it to Cherche won't fix her RES issue, but she can be saved from being OHKO'd by that Forseti user in IR.

2- It's a trade off between size and duration. Other rallies get a better rank because the bonus is significant even if it lasts a turn, but both luck and skill work on probabilities. it's very likely that both as a rally and as +x, they will be equally useless, because the boost is far too small. In fact, all D rank skills ultimately work as small % bonuses to something.

3- Your suggestion?

4-... please tell me you didn't say that. no, seriously, you are joking now, right?

5-so, being always active (reliable), being decently useful throughout the game (helps a bit, still helps enough) makes then D tier material? "totally useless" material?

1. How many other troubadours do you have? Not to mention, two damage is hardly enough to require healing at any point in the game...
2. You missed my point- obviously, Rally Luck deserves a D. But it's obviously better than Luck+4, which you're comparing the +2s to.
3. Not a suggestion, an imperative.
4. Not joking whatsoever. 10% to avoid something that would cause almost certain death, multiple times in the game? How the hell does def+2 stack against that?
5. THEY ARE NOT DECENTLY USABLE THROUGHOUT THE GAME. They are usable in certain circumstances, JUST LIKE THE OTHER D SKILLS.

guedesbrawl posted...
you know, you should try to do a no-grinding run one day. you might understand why those skills don't belong a C that way. also, to answer the other user's question (sorry, forgot your name), no, you don't need to justify. It's always nice to, though...

I've done several. And almost never does a unit need the extra 2 magic for a kill, or gets killed when an extra 2 defense/res would have helped. They do happen, but not often whatsoever, and it maybe happens once a game.