Some questions about the "hard classic" difficulty

#1aieieiPosted 4/23/2013 5:23:26 AM(edited)
I am not very experienced in the FE franchise: I only played FE for the gamecube and Radiant Dawn for the Wii (and finished both).

I started Awakening on hard classic, and this is my very first run.
No probems for now: I am currently going to start chapter 3.

I am a bit afraid though, because I don't know if, soon or later, the hard classic difficulty will prove to be too much for me.

So here are my questions about the hard classic difficulty.

1) Did you do some grinding when playing on hard classic ? Do you think I can easily get stuck, soon or later, if I don't do some grinding between chapters ?

2) If I don't go on-line, will I encounter enough random battles in order to do some grinding on hard classic ?

Thanks for your answers.
#2GregornatorPosted 4/23/2013 5:27:24 AM
As long as you plan accordingly and keep a team of 8 or so appropriately levelled, you'll always be fine. Reeking Boxes aren't exactly cheap, though, so if you do want to grind and have money for DLC, buy the Golden Pack. Then again, you stated you may not want to use the Internet. You can still meet and fight other players on the map by using the Streetpass feature. If you Streetpass someone that doesn't have this game, a random team will be auto-generwted for you to fight or buy from. You can even summon computer teams you can both fight and buy items from indefinitely. You do this by pressing X on the map, selecting Wireless, Bonus Box, and Bonus Teams. You can also get extra free items from that wireless feature, but it's a one-time deal for a handful of things. I'm unsure if you can do this offline, though.
---
Gregor official husband of all women.
#3McTCMPosted 4/23/2013 5:56:32 AM
I'm doing my first runthrough on the same difficulty.

I use 6 peeps. 4 are a beast 2 pair up fodder.

I do not grind and I have to do ch 12 now.
I use Chrom (lvl 20/3), mariebelle (pegasus knight 10-8)
MU (merc 20-14), Panne (griffon rider 14-14/4)
Donnel (Hero 10-14/3) and Tharja (14).
I pomoted Donnel cause his speed and skill were maxed.
With Panne Strenght was maxed.

I married marie with Chrom because she is the worst wife and now I can dump her in any other gameplay.

In total I'll use 11 chars with my 5 kids on the go.

So far ... Dominating it.
The only ones who die are peeps I just recruited and die cause of insta reinforcements. Usually I reset.
(Olivia died cause I didn't know about some reinforcementsand I had 6 awesome level ups that chapter :/)
---
~Pokemon~
FC:2537 8652 0098
#4smash fanaticPosted 4/23/2013 6:20:35 AM
It's entirely possible to beat lunatic with no grinding, so beating hard without grinding is very easy.

I kept a playlog of where I only used the lowest level units available for a given map on hard mode, meaning every chapter had the most underleveled units in it. It also had a couple other special rules such as no grinding. It's archived on this board somewhere.

Up until chapter 16 the only two maps I recall having any significant trouble/RNG reliance with were chapter 14 and Sully's child's paralogue. But once at chapter 16 there is a HUGE increase in promoted enemies so I couldn't continue any further (because my team was too underleveled to continue without massive grinding, which would destroy the point of my challenge playthrough).

In other words, you can basically field your worst units for a given map and it's possible to win until chapter 16. So the game up until that point is a literal joke when you use an actual team; if you've beaten FE10 hard mode, this game's hard mode until chapter 16 is a punchline instead of a difficulty mode.
---
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/smashfanatic/DEALL.gif http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/smashfanatic/DEALR.gif
#5VirusLordPosted 4/23/2013 8:37:38 AM
Gregornator posted...
As long as you plan accordingly and keep a team of 8 or so appropriately levelled, you'll always be fine. Reeking Boxes aren't exactly cheap, though, so if you do want to grind and have money for DLC, buy the Golden Pack.

Um, it's entirely possible to fight skirmishes without using reeking boxes. >_> They appear naturally on the map, and unless you're hardcore grinding for capped stats, they should be more than enough to keep not just a full team leveled, but a few extra units as well, allowing you to cycle out your characters based on the current chapter. Golden Pack isn't even remotely necessary, at all.

So, basically, you don't strictly need to grind, and its easy to do some casual grinding without any access to online.
---
Ruler of the Unknown Universe
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." - Emil, ToS:DotNW