My healers and mage types just get owned.

#1GrawalePosted 4/26/2013 11:33:30 AM
I'm a new FE player and I'm playing on Normal/Classic but it seems that my healer/mage type characters just get wrecked if they try to go into battle? How can I prevent this? I know the games about strategy but if they can't even get close to the battle field whats the point in using them?
#2SlashReturnsPosted 4/26/2013 11:35:57 AM
Put them behind the front liners so they can't get attacked. They shouldn't be in harms way and taking much, if any, damage.
---
I am Inigo. Ladies, smile you are all beautiful!/Official Husbando of Nah<3
http://botc.forumotion.com/forum
#3DlordflashPosted 4/26/2013 11:36:33 AM
they eventually become strong enough to hold their own but clerics aren't meant to be out in the open atleast until they promote and can fight back. for healers it about positioning and making sure they stay clear of enemy fire at much as possible. mages are like glass cannons, and depending on the character they may or may not be able to take hits in the future.attack from 2 range and keep them with a buddy and once again make sure they aren't in the line of fire especially if you put them in the middle where anyone could just gang up on them.
#4TerradriusPosted 4/26/2013 11:37:02 AM
Put durable units between them and the enemies.

Plan your turn so that all the enemies that could hurt them die.

You can also use pair up to increase their durability.
---
http://adamgaming.blogspot.com/ - My game review/design blog, which I have finally gotten back to updating. Sporadically.
Jesus saves. PSN: Orethen
#5MilenninPosted 4/26/2013 11:41:00 AM
Pair them up with a sturdy unit to give them more defence. Also, keep them back and let them pick off weakened units until they grow strong enough to survive on the frontlines.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#6Grawale(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 11:43:15 AM
Thanks for the info but curious.. even if i put units infront of the healers and such.. wont the enemies just walk around my guys and go after them anyway?

Or is there some rule w here they only attack the closest unit to them?
#7MilenninPosted 4/26/2013 11:44:48 AM
Grawale posted...
Thanks for the info but curious.. even if i put units infront of the healers and such.. wont the enemies just walk around my guys and go after them anyway?

Bodyblock them, and use the terrain if you can. Otherwise, just keep them further back, out of range. To see where the enemy can range, press X, or select individual enemy units.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#8TerradriusPosted 4/26/2013 11:46:10 AM
Grawale posted...

No, but you can use the terrain and other units to completely block off their paths.

Also, you don't have to charge into enemy territory. Stand on the edge of where they can attack, and let them come to you. This way you don't have to fight everyone at once, and you can typically spread out your experience better.
---
http://adamgaming.blogspot.com/ - My game review/design blog, which I have finally gotten back to updating. Sporadically.
Jesus saves. PSN: Orethen
#9Grawale(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 11:48:00 AM
Ahh very smart thank you! Anyone else have any other helpful tips for a newer FE player?
#10DlordflashPosted 4/26/2013 11:48:29 AM
Grawale posted...

when it comes to healers you should never put them in the an area where they can be hit by all sides, press the x button during a map to see enemy range, if you need to protect a healer always keep in mind that your units should be positioned to protect them. enemies typically take on any unit it can reach that as well as which ever unit the enemy can probably deal the most damage, i believe it also takes into account which units near death. typically it will go after the healer. in the future you won't have to really pay as much attention because you'll be able to get staves that heal from far range keeping healers safer.