So, teach me how to play this game.

#1Cannon_SamPosted 4/27/2013 6:40:50 PM
This is the first FE game I've played, and so far I'm kicking myself for having not gotten in on the series earlier. It's great. As a newb though, I'd appreciate some advice. I've read both te faqs, but I'd still appreciate some advice from people playing.

I currently just defeated Halidar for the first time (chapter 6, I believe? Or the end of it). The mission where you gain Panne. I'm doing pretty well playing on Casual mode, but I eventually want to move to Classic on new playthroughs. I'm having a bit of trouble keeping some of my characters alive though, like Sumia and Virion. It's almost like they die every battle, but they're valuable as they are the only unit of each type that I have. How do I keep them up with the rest of the gang?

So, units. Which ones do you consider the best? I'm basically using only one of each right now that are available (Avatar's a mage-- more on that in a sec). Are there any I should be doubling up on? For instance, I have Frederick, so I see no real need for Stahl or Sully because he fills that role. I question if they'd be more useful than Vaike, for example, who is pretty innacurate currently. What's your opinion?

Classes. How do you manipulate them? I've read a bit about Second and Master Seals, but I'm a little confused by them. My Mu is level 11 with the Tactician class. How would I change that, or can I eventually do it?

Which leads me to stat gains. Is it random how much they gain on each level? I chose magic as my asset and luck as my flaw, but it seems like I haven't gained much in the magic field consistently. And last level up, I only gained one point in defense. Are these set, or do they gain more based on certain things?

Supports. Is there a way to manipulate them? I have little to no supports between any characters of the opposite gender, and the ones I have between the same gender are all at C rank, aside from Mu and Chrom who are at A. I know there's marriage in this game, but I don't know how to get supports up between certain characters.

Forging weapons. Last thing I think. What are the best things to raise, generally? I can only assume Mt. stands for "might," but I'm not entirely sure. Also, how do I restock weapons I've forged? I strengthened my Mu's Thunder through forging, but now I only have one use left and it won't let me restock. Will I just have to forge a new Thunder?

That's it, I think. I know it's a lot. Thanks for the help!
---
"I hate it when people put their own quotes in their sigs."
-- Me
#2vanguard29Posted 4/27/2013 6:42:48 PM
1. Pick a god
2. Pray
---
http://tinyurl.com/temvolume1 - My book of poetry
The Eloquent Misanthropy, Volume 1 (availible on Amazon) It's good stuff. You should read it.
#3bearclaw13Posted 4/27/2013 6:43:56 PM
1.Pair up
2. Win (unless you're on lunatic)
---
It's game time.
#4DemiseEndPosted 4/27/2013 6:44:28 PM
Use Pair Up pretty much always

Plan your marriage/supports. Fight together during Pair Up to get your support in an easier way

Durability is better than Offense

Stats gain is random

Rescue Staff is your friend

Always carry one Staff user just in case

Panne make a good Wyvern

Frederick is a good Pair Up fodder for Cordelia and Sumia

These are some for non Min Maxing.

> And the obvious one is enjoy the game
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#5pwnagecumseasyPosted 4/27/2013 8:07:20 PM
vanguard29 posted...
1. Pick a god
2. Pray

/thread
---
>yfw greentexing in my signature on gamefaqs
#6NodetailsPosted 4/27/2013 10:40:14 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/65655016
#7slickvic1990Posted 4/27/2013 10:41:24 PM
vanguard29 posted...
1. Pick a god
2. Pray

---
My GOTY 2013 (so far): Bioshock Infinite.
Previous holders: Fire Emblem Awakening
#8Ku-Ri-BohPosted 4/27/2013 10:49:04 PM
Seriously though, the prob with noobs like you (not trying to be offensive, i really mean "newbies like you") is that you guys worry TOO MUCH for where you are in the game

If you can't use unit X well, bench it. It may be useful some time later if you finally know how to keep a distance away from archers (for peg knights) or realize that archers actually suck as a unit

Another, noobs tend to ask too much and show how overwhelmed they are in regards to Seals, Classes, Skills, etc etc. JUST IGNORE IT. Seriously, when they become available to you, you will get it. No point asking now, especially when they won't cost you in-game lives like when you play on higher difficulties and classic mode

The casual mode, normal difficulty, etc etc exist for a reason so that people like you GET USED to things first. You don't have to try too hard to have strategies or whatever or even thinking "let's keep a balance of an mage, a sword-wielder, etc etc" because that's bs.

Sorry if i sound harsh, but really, this was kinda my first game too

Tl:dr Just play it first, stay away from the internet to not feel overwhelmed by all the upcoming features, and JUST have fun. Don't pretend to have "strategies" which you try too hard to come up with
#9jonnovision1Posted 4/27/2013 10:58:54 PM
there's a fairly good in-game manual you know.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#10President_MarthPosted 4/27/2013 11:11:01 PM
Any difficulty
1) Marry Nono/Nowi or n_n/Nah.
2)Win
Lunatic or L+
1)Pick a god
2) Pray
3) Marry Nowi/Nono or n_n/Nah
4)Win