Why does everyone hate Ricken?

#1Gold_VanguardPosted 4/28/2013 6:27:17 AM
What did he do to receive this hate?
---
Now that's strategy!
#21998_zPosted 4/28/2013 6:28:22 AM
Reclass sets, growth rates, personality, being inferior to Miriel...

Personally I don't hate Ricken though.
---
OP tomes, high Res, and skills be damned; I won't use Sorcs.
O furious and insane gods! Send me ten-nay, TWENTY of your finest cakes!
#3nflchampPosted 4/28/2013 6:29:01 AM
The fact that Ricken is a bad unit does not mean people hate him.
#4guedesbrawlPosted 4/28/2013 6:29:32 AM
he always starts out better than miriel for me. since i never use second seals...
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#5ScrubplayerPosted 4/28/2013 6:30:04 AM
I don't think people hate Ricken.

It's just that they dislike his usefulness.
#6WebbOMGPosted 4/28/2013 6:30:06 AM
He's kind of annoying, but I don't dislike him personally. I don't appreciate the weird pseudo-shota thing at all, though.

But I would never use him in-game beyond possibly fathering Laurent, Severa, Noire or Owain.
---
The preceding were my own opinions and while I will stand and defend them, I always do my best to give both sides of any discussion a fair chance.
#7_Quest_Posted 4/28/2013 6:32:11 AM
He's not even that bad, I found that taking him into some Cavalier classes actually turned him into an awesome unit. He's now a very accomplished Dark Knight.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3780-9494-9880
Steam ID: bamseyboy
#8Emperor_mateusPosted 4/28/2013 6:48:46 AM
I would say Ricken is pretty decent. His reclass options aren't great, but they're still better then Virions.

Miriel is better then him, but that doesn't mean Ricken himself is a bad unit. He can chip pretty well when he joins and he's never the most horrible unit.

I'm gonna copy paste what I said earlier.

I would say that Ricken is a little underrated around here. 5 base speed is massive fail, but the rest of his base stats are decent enough. I believe only the myrms double him when he joins so its not a terrible setback since lots of people get doubled by those. Meanwhile Gregor gives a speed boost in all his classes and Ricken supports him so he can use that to salvage the problem a little. Gregor also appreciated the defense boost dark knight Ricken gives him.

Miriel is the better unit with her speed and magic lead, but Ricken will be able to see more combat since he has double her defence base and a higher growth. Miriel probably wants to go sage so she can use her sexy magic with some staffs so if Ricken goes dark knight the defence difference will be even higher.

Yeah Miriel can go dark mage, but in my opinion she's better suited as a sage since I think staff utility is better then being a dark mage with sucky defences.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#9Jstretch19Posted 4/28/2013 6:50:41 AM
Why do I feel like there's already been a topic about this?

Oh yeah... http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66054608
#10VirusLordPosted 4/28/2013 6:53:17 AM
Ricken comes in as an inferior unit when MU and Miriel already better fill the role of magic users. He's a whiny childish character that gets on my nerves, and it feels very strange trying to pair him up with any of the girls to try to get them to have a kid. Frankly, I'm not really seeing a whole lot of redeeming qualities here.
---
Ruler of the Unknown Universe
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality." - Emil, ToS:DotNW