Something REALLY bothers me about the *SPOILERS!!!!*

#1gunmetallPosted 4/28/2013 10:03:58 AM
The post-chapter 25 Paralogues.
(With the exception of Priam's since I haven't played his yet)

I'm bothered by it because many of the recruitable characters were supposed to have been killed some time ago in the game's plot, with not much left to suggest how they survived.

Emmeryn took a fatal plunge at the end of Chapter 9, but she turns up with a fractured memory and brain damage, plus I could say it is feasible, albeit one heck of a stretch that she survived and no one else was even aware of it. Not even King Gangrel, who made it quite clear at that point that he wanted her dead and put on display.

Speaking of which, how did King Gangrel survive his encounter with Chrom at Chapter 11? Chrom had no intention of letting live at that point, and how he survived still remains a mystery.

As for Yen'Fay, it's explained that this guy is from an alternate timeline, and time travel had already been established, so go figure.

Walhart and Aversa are even bigger "WTFs" to me, since it's pretty clear that they were killed in the Chapter 20 and 25 respectively. How are they still alive and walking about?

I guess they wanted to provide each of these unique characters a means of being recruited?
---
Put your guns on!
#2JoJoX200Posted 4/28/2013 10:06:44 AM
It's the same as with bonus characters in Sacred Stones. They are bonus characters and not really supposed to make any sense, I'd imagine.
#3NewbieN00bPosted 4/28/2013 10:10:57 AM
They're trial map characters with some bonuses.

You could get Zephiel/Naicen/Brunya/ etc in FE6, for example.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#4banjo kazooiePosted 4/28/2013 10:14:14 AM
Isn't Walhart a Risen at that point?
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#5TehTrumpCardPosted 4/28/2013 10:14:38 AM
With Walhart he's so strong not even death could stop him, so basically he's a special Risen since IIRC all units are Risen. Which could be possible although it's not really explained who revives him and for what purpose.

Gangrel and Aversa I'll assume are like Basilio who "played dead" until he could escape with what little life he had left and return after making a full recovery.

As for Emmeryn. She never actually died. Everyone assumed she did. Possibly the way she landed could've made the injury appear fatal but in actuality was slightly less serious.
---
I love Nowi!!! http://tinyurl.com/trump-nowi http://tinyurl.com/durrhubba
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#6GSSAGE7Posted 4/28/2013 10:19:02 AM
Priam never showed up before, so his isn't as BS as the others. In my playthrough, I ended up killing Gangrel before the battle ended, so maybe Gangrel managed to crawl away before the battle ended?
#7Jstretch19Posted 4/28/2013 10:31:32 AM(edited)
K, I'll go through this one by one.

1. Gangrel was defeated while a battle was raging on, its entirely possible one his most loyal soldiers pulled him from the battle in the confusion.

2. Emm, I'm going with it being heavily implied that Ylisse has a blood pact with Naga and that saved her somehow. Its flimsy to be sure, but its the only other thing that bugs.

3. IIRC he talks about how his heart stopped beating, that coupled with the fact that he has a whole group of risen under his command leads me to believe he himself is Risen.

4. Skipping Yen'fay

5. Aversa was defeated while Chrom's army was rushing to get to Grima, I doubt they even checked for her body.

Also Priam and Basilio were "clearly" killed as well, but they're still walking about and you're not making a big stink about them.

Which could be possible although it's not really explained who revives him and for what purpose.

Walmart obviously revived himself, he's so strong he overcame death. That or Grima thought to revive one of Ylisse's strongest enemies only Walmart proved to strong to control.
#8Pitbuller_26Posted 4/28/2013 10:41:07 AM
Chrom says it pretty clearly: "ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!"
---
http://kzemo.com/rotate/pitbuller26-1268.png http://kzemo.com/rotate/pitbuller26-2062.png http://kzemo.com/rotate/pitbuller26-1750.png
#9gunmetall(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 1:20:22 PM
Jstretch19 posted...
K, I'll go through this one by one.

1. Gangrel was defeated while a battle was raging on, its entirely possible one his most loyal soldiers pulled him from the battle in the confusion.

2. Emm, I'm going with it being heavily implied that Ylisse has a blood pact with Naga and that saved her somehow. Its flimsy to be sure, but its the only other thing that bugs.

3. IIRC he talks about how his heart stopped beating, that coupled with the fact that he has a whole group of risen under his command leads me to believe he himself is Risen.

4. Skipping Yen'fay

5. Aversa was defeated while Chrom's army was rushing to get to Grima, I doubt they even checked for her body.

Also Priam and Basilio were "clearly" killed as well, but they're still walking about and you're not making a big stink about them.

Which could be possible although it's not really explained who revives him and for what purpose.

Walmart obviously revived himself, he's so strong he overcame death. That or Grima thought to revive one of Ylisse's strongest enemies only Walmart proved to strong to control.

1. I can MAYBE swallow Chrom having a last-minute decision to show mercy to Gangrel and let him live after defeating him. After all, the whole crux of his character development is to follow his sister's ideals of peace and unity.

2. With Emm, as big of a stretch it is, considering how high that fall was, I can say MAYBE she survived and some kind Plegians took her in while Gangrel took off in pursuit of Chrom. Doesn't lessen her sacrifice seeing as she's still practically given up her livelihood and who she was in the name of peace. (Though seeing her in that miserable state kinda gets to me though)

3. No problem here, Kinda implied that Walhart himself has become a Risen, but through his sheer force of will, retains his consciousness and thought.

4. Covered this...

5. Still bothers the crap out of me, in fact it is my biggest problem out of all the Paralogues since it is very very clear that she dies. Hell, her death quote in Chapter 25 doesn't indicate that she escapes or falls conscious.
Then in Paralogue 22, she's alive and kicking, no worse for wear and doesn't even have the explanations of time travel or implied undeath like Yen'Fay or Walhart respectively. Look, Here's her quote in Chapter 25:

Aversa: Ahh...finally... Sweet...death... Finally...the pain... F-finally...it ends...

Even better, they "handwave" her sudden change of heart as "Brainwashing". Out of nowhere, flimsy explaination, aaand we're expected to just roll with it. Ugh

Yes, we can say these paralogues are not "canon" (which is like covering your ears and screaming "lalalalalala CAN'T HEAR YOU!"), but the Sacred Stones Creature Campaign didn't pretend to be part of the story and give you characters (most of whom are dead by the end of the game.) to play around with, even if they kinda sucked (Unlike Awakening, whose characters are definitely viable for Endgame).
---
Put your guns on!
#10Jstretch19Posted 4/29/2013 1:34:53 PM
gunmetall posted...
1. I can MAYBE swallow Chrom having a last-minute decision to show mercy to Gangrel and let him live after defeating him. After all, the whole crux of his character development is to follow his sister's ideals of peace and unity.

Or he limped off the battlefield and ran instead of facing death like a man. The soldiers loyal to him were defeated in that battle, its not like he could've been a problem later on, so why spend resources chasing him?

2. With Emm, as big of a stretch it is, considering how high that fall was, I can say MAYBE she survived and some kind Plegians took her in while Gangrel took off in pursuit of Chrom. Doesn't lessen her sacrifice seeing as she's still practically given up her livelihood and who she was in the name of peace. (Though seeing her in that miserable state kinda gets to me though)

Yeah its kind of a stretch, but I think that this being a fictional, fantasy world with magic gives the story a little more wiggle room.

5. Still bothers the crap out of me, in fact it is my biggest problem out of all the Paralogues since it is very very clear that she dies. Hell, her death quote in Chapter 25 doesn't indicate that she escapes or falls conscious.
Then in Paralogue 22, she's alive and kicking, no worse for wear and doesn't even have the explanations of time travel or implied undeath like Yen'Fay or Walhart respectively. Look, Here's her quote in Chapter 25:

Aversa: Ahh...finally... Sweet...death... Finally...the pain... F-finally...it ends...

Hmm... she could've passed out from blood loss and been healed by someone? Kind of flimsy, but like I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Even better, they "handwave" her sudden change of heart as "Brainwashing". Out of nowhere, flimsy explaination, aaand we're expected to just roll with it. Ugh

When you consider they had one chapter to make her flip I'd say they did it pretty well.