How does this game compare to Fire Emblem (Rekka no Ken)?

#1VayolenloPosted 4/29/2013 11:48:41 AM
Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken is one of my favorite games of all time. I enjoyed the Scared Stones but not nearly as much. How is Awakening compared to those two?
---
3DS FC: 3866-8101-4473
#2lighting_rock84Posted 4/29/2013 12:09:51 PM
Better battle system (in my opinion) than any other Fire Emblem, Story is good but I think Rekka is better, and has Sacred Stones map travel system and classing is like Sacred Stones with branching paths.
---
Die Monster! You don't belong in this world!
Pokemon White FC:0132-4106-0107
#3BetaWaxPosted 4/29/2013 12:18:07 PM
Gameplay wise it's more similar to SS, you have branching promotion paths, a world map with skirmishes, which means you can grind your units.

But that's as far as the similarities go really. Awakening is a completely different animal. The real emphasis of the game is on the characters, and Intelligent Systems outdid themselves. The story is simple, and yes, cliched at times. It's nowhere near as gripping as Rekka no Ken (A.K.A. Blazing Sword, also commonly referred to as FE7), at least in my opinion.

There are two big main changes that were made that drastically alter the gameplay. Firstly, the support system. Now, there are no limited support options, as in, you can only see five support conversations per character per playthrough, as was the norm for the previous FE games. Now, you can support as many times as you want. The still go from C to A, but there's a fourth support level, S. This can only be obtained by two character of opposite gender, and what this rank means is that they get married. For each character there's a limited amount of support possibilities of course, and the ones that are of the opposite sex, are potential spouses.

This applies to all characters, except for the Avatar, the unit you create at the beginning of the game to represent you, like in FE7. The difference this time around is that he is an actual fighting unit. He has his own class, and is one of the main protagonists. Now the Avatar has different rules for supports. He can support with everybody in the game. Even including some bonus Spotpass characters. And he can also marry anyone, of the opposite sex of course. And seeing as you can make your Avatar either male or female... Well, you can see this makes for a HUGE amount of support options.

One last detail about marriages. When two units achieve and S-Rank and basically get married, they will have a child. Which will become a usable unit in your force. This also adds many more options for supports, who the parent is, if they have a sibling or not. And the child units are able to be customised quite a bit. Now, if I explained any more I'd be going into spoiler territory, so, I'll leave it at that.

Now, the fact that two characters can get married directly influence another big change, the Pair Up system. Gone is the rescue option, instead we have this new mechanic. In a nutshell, you have Unit A and Unit B. Unit A goes next to Unit B and selects Pair Up. What this does is give a stat boost to Unit B, and they fight together. There's a percentage that Unit A will attack whenever Unit B attacks or is attacked (know as Double Strike), and also a percentage that Unit A will block the oncoming attack to Unit B (known as Double Guard), negating all damage Unit B might have taken.

Unit B receives no penalty for being paired up with Unit A. And Unit A doesn't technically loose his turn, as you can move Unit B next to an enemy, select switch to switch who is the main character and who is the supporting one, and attack an enemy. You can also transfer the supporting unit to another one. In this regard it would seem very similar to the Rescue system, and it is. The main difference to keep in mind is that say you want to protect a weak unit, he would have to select Pair Up, to become the supporting unit. It's somewhat hard to explain on paper, but it's actually very simple.

(continued in next post)
---
http://www.backloggery.com/betawax
#4BetaWaxPosted 4/29/2013 12:18:46 PM
(continued from previous post)

Now, as I said before, the emphasis on Awakening is placed mainly on the characters and the ties and bonds those characters create. It's a central theme of the story, and in my opinion is handled very nicely. IS did so you would focus on building supports, because it gives you a tactical advantage in battle. And the support conversation are excellent, they flesh out the characters so much, and add much more depth to the game. If you go through the game ignoring them, it is possible you'll find it a lackluster experience. But if you play through the game paying attention to the supports and characters, it's a great experience. Many people agree that it's the characters who really carry the game, and make it a great experience.

It's a very different FE games from the others, and it's hard to specifically pinpoint why. It's in a lot of the details really, and seeing as you've played through other games, you'll pick up on these changes.

My personal opinion is that seeing as it is so different, it's kind of hard to compare it directly to other FE games. FE7 (Rekka no Ken), will always be special to me. It was the first FE game I ever played and the story blew me away. I still consider it to be superior, but, only slightly, simply because it's hard to make a direct comparison.

Well, pardon the wall of text, but I tried to go somewhat in depth with the new mechanics without spoiling anything, and pointing out the new aspects and differences it has with the past game. Hopefully it'll be useful, and you'll enjoy the game too!
---
http://www.backloggery.com/betawax
#5ArcasaurusPosted 4/29/2013 12:21:38 PM
Awakening's not as good storywise, but the characters are still entertaining in the Supports at least. In terms of gameplay, Awakening falls short in terms of stuff like map design, and there aren't any ranking systems to challenge players, but there's plenty of longevity with the post-game map system, DLC, and all the different options to raise your characters with different stat builds and stuff in different playthroughs.

Give the demo a try, I guess. I still say it's a good game, and despite its shortcomings, it's still entertaining with long-lasting value. In certain aspects it doesn't quite compare to FE7, but it's still a fun game in its own right.
#6PlatinitePosted 4/29/2013 12:26:09 PM
In addition to everything these people said, there's one big thing to take into account in Awakening: your Lord, Chrom, is actually very useful.

Just ask the board about their opinions on Sealed Sword's main character, Roy, and you might be surprised!
#7CreepGnomePosted 4/29/2013 12:28:32 PM
The characters are all tired anime stereotypes, and the story is lackluster with the entire middle of the game being only somewhat relevant.

The gameplay is significantly easier than Blazing Sword, with Pair Up allowing you to negate basically every weakness of a class and almost every character having insane growth rates. The 2nd generation of characters isn't realistically usable in difficulties above Normal unless you want to stop and grind.

If you don't to spend huge amounts of time grinding, you'll need to shell out more cash to get the grinding DLC maps, which then trivialize literally the entire game.

Just buy a Pokemon game, same grinding-based rock-paper-scissors gameplay but with no DLC.
---
Ma-shi-nuh, because there's no such thing as a "correct" way to pronounce things.-zero7717 on pronunciation of Machina
http://i.imgur.com/eJDEa.png
#8roytheswordguyPosted 4/29/2013 12:32:05 PM
Platinite posted...
In addition to everything these people said, there's one big thing to take into account in Awakening: your Lord, Chrom, is actually very useful.

Just ask the board about their opinions on Sealed Sword's main character, Roy, and you might be surprised!

H-hey, Roy is awesome! D-don't put him down!
...yeah, he kinda sucks stats-wise but... He's got a g-great personality!
#9hodori86Posted 4/29/2013 12:35:33 PM
Well Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken aka Blazing Swords was my first game that introduced me to the FE world.

Story:
IMO Rekka no Ken had a better story line battles were more varied, from what I remember, and it has Lyn :D.

Awakening story is decent, has 3 arcs which are all compressed into one game.

Edge: Rekka no Ken

Combat:
Combat can be super easy to fun, depending on how much you abuse certain combos, *cough Armsthrift with forged Aversa Night cough*. The DLC content is great touch to those who likes the older FE games. Although I do miss the Magic Trinity and breaker weapons.

A new addition is the Pair up system. This systems lets you pair up two characters. They can get support points with each other which will raise the support level. This in turn gives you greater benefits when they are paired up and even marriage leading to possible kids. When you pair up the 2nd character gives bonus to the Leader. They can also help with an attack or fully guard against an attack.

Overall the combat system for Awakening is built around having to use pair ups is both fun and can be easily broken while still keeping the core from the older FE games such as the weapon triangle.

Edge: Awakenings

Map Design:

Needs more variety in awakenings and victory conditions. 99% of the maps is either defeat the commander or route the enemies.

Edge: Rekka no Ken

Art Work: DS vs 3DS. Enough said. On a side note the DLC design are well done.

Post Game:
Only thing i remember for post game in Rekka No Ken was the 5v5 team fights. In Awakenings there is if you buy DLC you can have a bit more fun out of it along with the free maps that is given.

Replay Value:

Well since there are 4 modes Normal (dont bother with this) Hard, Lunatic and Lunatic (Must beat lunatic first) and not to mention getting 100% support log it will keep you busy for many many hours.

Other things can be said for both so I won't list them.

Edge: Awakenigs

Overall i loved both games but Awakenings has more to offer even though there are parts of it that doesn't match with the original that was brought to the US but everyone has the place in there heart for the original.
#10almostexactlyPosted 4/29/2013 12:36:12 PM
Well. What did you like about FE7 but didn't like about FE8? Because Awakening is closer to FE8 but it did some upending of the series formula table so it's quite different.