How does this game compare to Fire Emblem (Rekka no Ken)?

#11hodori86Posted 4/29/2013 12:43:53 PM
almostexactly posted...
Well. What did you like about FE7 but didn't like about FE8? Because Awakening is closer to FE8 but it did some upending of the series formula table so it's quite different.

Didn't really play FE8 that much. But i do remember Fog of War and the touch staff. Im a sucker for Fog of War, reason why i always played Sonja in the Advance Wars series.
#12SazukeEXPosted 4/29/2013 12:44:13 PM
IMO this is a far better game than FE7 by far.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#13EchoPhoenixPosted 4/29/2013 12:46:52 PM
hodori86 posted...
Didn't really play FE8 that much. But i do remember Fog of War and the touch staff. Im a sucker for Fog of War, reason why i always played Sonja in the Advance Wars series.

If I remember the game correctly, there's no Fog of War in this game at all. >_>

Surprised there wasn't even any in the DLC (not sure about unreleased maps so far, didn't really look them up).
#14Vayolenlo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 12:49:54 PM
BetaWax posted...
(continued from previous post)

Now, as I said before, the emphasis on Awakening is placed mainly on the characters and the ties and bonds those characters create. It's a central theme of the story, and in my opinion is handled very nicely. IS did so you would focus on building supports, because it gives you a tactical advantage in battle. And the support conversation are excellent, they flesh out the characters so much, and add much more depth to the game. If you go through the game ignoring them, it is possible you'll find it a lackluster experience. But if you play through the game paying attention to the supports and characters, it's a great experience. Many people agree that it's the characters who really carry the game, and make it a great experience.

It's a very different FE games from the others, and it's hard to specifically pinpoint why. It's in a lot of the details really, and seeing as you've played through other games, you'll pick up on these changes.

My personal opinion is that seeing as it is so different, it's kind of hard to compare it directly to other FE games. FE7 (Rekka no Ken), will always be special to me. It was the first FE game I ever played and the story blew me away. I still consider it to be superior, but, only slightly, simply because it's hard to make a direct comparison.

Well, pardon the wall of text, but I tried to go somewhat in depth with the new mechanics without spoiling anything, and pointing out the new aspects and differences it has with the past game. Hopefully it'll be useful, and you'll enjoy the game too!

Thank you, that was exactly the answer I was looking for!
---
3DS FC: 3866-8101-4473
#15Vayolenlo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 12:51:11 PM
almostexactly posted...
Well. What did you like about FE7 but didn't like about FE8? Because Awakening is closer to FE8 but it did some upending of the series formula table so it's quite different.

Mostly, I thought the characters weren't as memorable. The story was weaker too.
---
3DS FC: 3866-8101-4473
#16Shadow_Master_JPosted 4/29/2013 12:53:12 PM
Well, I did recently replay Rekka no Ken (yesterday) and I can tell you TC:

Awakening has much better graphics (lol different portables), has voice acting, a ton of supports (and they are very well done), and the DLC locks you into wanting to play even more, as well as preparing for the hardest one. This game is pretty fun and challenging at no-grind Hard mode and standard Lunatic mode. Just beware of Sadomasochist (Lunatic+) mode.

But man, Rekka no Ken owns this game. Rekka no Ken has a much (read: MUCH!) better story and hero-villain development than Awakening.

You feel good and sad when defeating Nergal and Lyon, due to how the their games (Rekka no Ken and Sacred Stones, respectively) makes you to hate and love them at the same time. You see their battles like the end of the line/life-or-death situation where the adrenaline rises and BAM! Awesome! You don't feel nothing when defeating this game's villains. You'll be just like: "Gotta save the world... Let's hope they at least put up a challenge >.>"

This game also has a poor map development, most maps are just random forts in the middle of open fields, and others are open castles with some pillars. All the missions are "kill the enemies" or "kill the boss". There are no seize the gate, fog-of-war, defend/survive for X turns, etc. There's also no rating like in Rekka no Ken and Binding Blade.

Don't get me wrong. This game is not bad. I would give a 7/10 on it, seriously. But Rekka no Ken is 9-10/10 easily.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!
#17MetaFalconPunchPosted 4/29/2013 12:55:01 PM
Vayolenlo posted...
almostexactly posted...

Mostly, I thought the characters weren't as memorable. The story was weaker too.

I respectfully disagree.
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.