CYOA: Northern Wind

#1C_D_MPosted 5/1/2013 9:39:31 AM
Hey guys. I've been following a few CYOA threads, and I've finally been inspired to make my own. Fair warning: I plan for this to be one of the darker stories, so be ready for that. Big thanks to Osranger and Cheesepower for the inspiration, and my friend Kat for some help with writing/planning.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The country of Valeria. A small northern country, governed by a council of priests, led by Archbishop Saul. The climate is cool, and the winters can be harsh, but the country prospers mining its rich mineral deposits. To the south lies the country of Carcina, ruled by King Paen. The two countries have held an unsteady truce for years, sustained by trade between the two countries: Carcina relies on Valeria for its metal, while Valeria is forced to import large shipments of food during the long winters. Still, the tension between the two countries is fierce, and several times small skirmishes along the border have threatened to erupt into full-blown war.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You are a farmer, from the small Valerian village of Heathside. Today is a special day; not only is today your birthday, but you have finally managed to save up enough money to buy a real weapon. You are preparing to ride into the nearby town of Trine, a small merchant town near the Carcina border. Trine has prospered as a trading post between Carcina and Valeria. It also serves as the regional garrison for the Valerian Holy Knights, the protectors of the weak and champions of Naga.

Before you set off, though, tell me: are you a boy, or a girl? And how did you spend your time on the farm?

(1) Boy
(2) Girl

(A) I worked the fields, harvesting crops (sword, +spd)
(B) I tended the animals, hauling hay and mucking stalls (lance, +def)
(C) I chopped and carried wood (axe, +str)
(D) I spent my time deep in the woods, hunting game (bow, +skill)
#2Cheesepower5Posted 5/1/2013 9:45:02 AM(edited)
B would fit my preferred build perfectly. I honestly have no preferrence on gender at this point, I'll wait and see what arguments can sway me.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official King Marth of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#3Dragunov_ZeroPosted 5/1/2013 9:48:56 AM(edited)
FE 12 style MU creation eh, ah it takes me back to the days when I played its Lunatic difficulty...fun times, fun times (not)...

Anyway, 2. and C. I've yet to see a CYOA with a female ''Barbarian''/"Fighter" =P

Edit: I meant on this board, I haven't paid a visit to the Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei board yet, hmm, maybe I should drop by and say hello...
---
If life is suffering, then does death bring peace?
Official groom of Tiki - Fire Emblem Awakening =3
#4Cheesepower5Posted 5/1/2013 9:46:27 AM
Dragunov_Zero posted...
FE 12 style MU creation eh, ah it takes me back to the days when I played its Lunatic difficulty...fun times, fun times (not)...

Anyway, 2. and C. I've yet to see a CYOA with a female ''Barbarian''/"Fighter" =P


Sanjima_Ryuku has one on the Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem board.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official King Marth of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#5C_D_M(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 10:26:54 AM(edited)
1 vote girl, 1 vote lance, 1 vote axe. I tossed a coin.

-------------------------------

June
Class: Villager
Weapons: Axe
Skills: Hidden Potential (currently does nothing, will change depending on choices throughout the story), Prevail (become more dangerous when wounded)
HP: **
Str: **
Mag: *
Skill: *
Spd: *
Luck: **
Def: *
Res: *

--------------------------------------
Prologue: Just Another Day
--------------------------------------
You say goodbye to your mother, and head out to the barn. As you saddle up your family's trusty horse, you hear someone sneaking up on you. You whirl around in time to catch a figure slipping into the shadows... trying, at least. His large frame gives him away, even when he ducks behind a pile of hay.

"Bud. I can see you. You managed to sneak up on me once, when we were 7. You're a bit too large, now."

The figure rises. "I'll surprise you, sooner or later. Anyway, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday before you ran off to town, joined the holy knights, and took down ol' King Paen. Here," he says, tossing you a satchel. "I made you a vulnerary. Just in case." He shoots you a wink.

You roll your eyes. "I'm not joining the holy knights, I just think it's prudent for a village to have a few people trained with weapons. Can't rely on the knights making it in time if bandits were to attack. And thanks for the present, but Trine's only a three hour ride away. What's the worst that could happen?" Bud chuckles, and wishes you well on your trip.

The sun is just beginning to rise as you trot out. The early autumn air is crisp and dry, and the leaves rustle with the occasional gust of wind. You wave at your father, already leading the cattle out to the pasture, as you ride past. He smiles and waves back. "Come back safe, y'hear!" he calls out.

An hour passes. Nothing eventful has happened, other than a few hares running across the road. As you come upon a grove of trees, four figures burst out, running toward you, screaming. Your horse rears, and rather than risk being thrown, you allow yourself to slide off; your landing is less than graceful, but you manage to keep your feet. For half a second, you panic, but three of the men run past, glancing over their shoulders as they run. The fourth trips and lands in front of you. Time seems to slow as you notice the axe in his belt, the gash on his leg, and the markings on his face and arms. In this moment of prescience, you:

(A) Mount your horse and ride as quick as you can
(B) Stop and help him
(C) Kill him
#6uuurrrgghPosted 5/1/2013 10:33:23 AM
B, then A
---
I always listen, I just don't respond.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#7Cheesepower5Posted 5/1/2013 10:44:16 AM
Whatever these guys are running from is enough to make some kind of tribal warrior scream like a little girl... So, helping them seems like an okay idea.

B.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official King Marth of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board
#8Dragunov_ZeroPosted 5/1/2013 10:49:32 AM(edited)
B.

Edit: Sorry, I'm tired and I can't think of anything, I think I'll go to bed...
---
If life is suffering, then does death bring peace?
Official groom of Tiki - Fire Emblem Awakening =3
#9C_D_M(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 11:18:25 AM
You're fairly certain this man is a bandit, but you can't just leave a wounded man laying in the middle of the road. Sighing, you pull out the vulnerary Bud gave you. The man begins crawling and whimpering as you approach. He flings a rock at you, but his hands are shaking and it goes far wide. "Calm down," you say reassuringly. "I'm going to heal your leg." The bandit keeps whimpering, but at least he stops moving. You open the vulnerary, and apply a bit of healing salve to his wound. As you do, you hear him muttering.

"C... C-coming... He's coming... Killed... K-Killed him, but... He's coming... Still coming..."

You patch his wound, and this seems to calm him down a little. He stands, looks you up and down, and starts reaching for his axe. You recoil, reaching for your horse. He hesitates, sighs, then turns and starts to walk, then run, away. You decide not to linger any longer than necessary, and jump back on your horse.

You feel shaken, and keep glancing over your shoulder as you ride. The sight of Trine growing larger on the horizon, however, is enough to calm your nerves. Even in the early morning chill, the bustle of the market can be heard even on the outskirts of the town. Carts come and go, loaded with boxes and sacks. You consider going to browse the stalls, but you know you have no gold to spare. After years of saving your allowance, pocket change earned for helping the neighbors with their crops, picking up coins on the ground, you are not waiting another day.

You leave your horse in the fields just outside of town, knowing he won't roam too far. You make a beeline for a smith, one you have visited several times before with your father. You were always buying tools, but you noticed he also stocks weapons and armor. You've even seen a few knights coming and going in the times you've visited, and heard a few commenting on the quality of his work.

As you stroll into the shop, a booming voice calls out. "What can I fix you wi- oh. I know you. Rowan's kid, June, right?"

"Yes, sir," you reply with a smile. You approach the smith, noticing the only other customer in the shop, a young lady with shoulder-length green hair, picking up spears and testing their balance.

"Yer father send you to pick up some new tools, eh? What're ya lookin' for?"

"An axe. Ah, not a wood axe. A... um... fighting axe," you say. The smith raises an eyebrow, looks you up and down, and shrugs.

"If you've got the coin, I've got the stock." He walks over to a rack of weapons, and tosses you small axe. "This here's a good, simple axe for a beginner." You feel test the balance, only to realize you have no idea how the balance is supposed to feel. It seems comfortable, however, and you can feel the power behind your practice swing.

"I'll take it." You place your pouch of gold on the counter, and the smith hastily counts it.

"...Yer short 50 gold." Your heart sinks. You know you've got the right amount. You open your mouth, but the smith cuts you off. "Had to raise prices. Bandits have been attackin' more and more miners lately, and it's gettin' harder to get the ores I need. Them Holy Knights are doin' their best, but they're just spread too thin."

(A) Offer to trade your vulnerary
(B) Ask if there's a cheaper axe
(C) Give up, save more, and come back next year
#10Cheesepower5Posted 5/1/2013 11:23:14 AM
B. We already used part of the Vulnerary, so we'd be lucky to get 30 for it. If he doesn't have cheaper, maybe the green-head will take pity on a poor village girl.
---
Official Naga Raja of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board
Official King Marth of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Board