(C) June/Alyssa C
(F) Rain/Wendy C
(G) Bud/Wendy C
(I) Haley/Ferris C
(K) Lane/Ferris C
(L) Alyssa/Jessup C
(O) Syrene/Agni C
---
If I ever had a kid, I'd want a daughter like Morgan. Y'know, one who tries to lure me into pitfall traps. ~~C_D_M
#222C_D_M(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 3:18:00 PM
I'll probably start writing in about an hour, so if anyone has any last minute votes, now's the time.

An update on everyone's relative combat strengths:
June: 23
Rowan: 16 (Deceased)
Rain: 36
Bud: 21
Haley: 19
Wendy: 20
Lane: 22
Ferris: 23
Alyssa: 21
Jessup: 17
Syrene: 20
Agni: 20

And your character bio thing...

Rowan was originally going to be a sacrificial lamb, and get killed off the the prologue. I decided to change things up at the last minute instead. He is - was - a bit overprotective of his daughter, but hard-working and earnest. The type to hide his weakness no matter the personal cost.
#223OsrangerPosted 5/10/2013 3:20:15 PM
C_D_M posted...
I'll probably start writing in about an hour, so if anyone has any last minute votes, now's the time.

Rowan was originally going to be a sacrificial lamb, and get killed off the the prologue. I decided to change things up at the last minute instead. He is - was - a bit overprotective of his daughter, but hard-working and earnest. The type to hide his weakness no matter the personal cost.

He wouldn't have lived much longer unless we stopped fielding him. He is weaker than our cleric.
---
Those are brave men out there. Let's go kill them!
-Tyrion Lannister, Clash of Kings
#224C_D_M(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 3:22:00 PM
Osranger posted...
C_D_M posted...

He wouldn't have lived much longer unless we stopped fielding him. He is weaker than our cleric.

It's just because I didn't bother giving him experience for that last mission, otherwise he'd be 19.
#225Rideps1Posted 5/10/2013 3:34:29 PM
A shame. But honestly, if we had to l. e someone, I am OK with it being him. Though I was hoping to see where his supports went. Maybe Rain could be June's step mom? Hah.

Ah well... no reset button in a cyoa. Rest in peace, oh sacrificial lamb. Please. Idon't want to find out if June can kill her father as a Risen.
---
If I ever had a kid, I'd want a daughter like Morgan. Y'know, one who tries to lure me into pitfall traps. ~~C_D_M
#226OsrangerPosted 5/10/2013 4:00:06 PM
C_D_M posted...
Osranger posted...
C_D_M posted...

It's just because I didn't bother giving him experience for that last mission, otherwise he'd be 19.

Oh, that's better.
---
Those are brave men out there. Let's go kill them!
-Tyrion Lannister, Clash of Kings
#227C_D_M(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 6:30:44 PM
Chapter 5: Southern Breeze
--------------------------------------
You arrive back in town as the sun is setting. You feel utterly drained. Wendy offers to put Marth in the stable, and you head straight for bed while Rain goes to deliver her report and introduce the new recruits to the commander. You pass out almost instantly, but your sleep is uneasy. You awake in the middle of the night, but do not wish to return to sleep. You decide to seek some fresh air, and you head down to the stables.

As you enter, you hear the sound of someone crying softly. You follow the sound and find it coming from Marth's stall. You're surprised to see Rain, brushing his coat. You reach for the stall handle, but pause. You hear Rain speaking to your horse.

"I'm going to miss him, Marth... Bud was a good man. And he raised a good daughter." You step back into the shadows. "I know understand what June's going through. My father was killed by bandits when I was young. That's why I joined the Holy Knights, you know." Marth snorts in response. "I know the best medicine is time, but I wish there was more I could do for her... Maybe tomorrow I'll ask her to help me on kitchen duty?"

"I'd like that," you say, without thinking. Rain jumps as you open the stall. "Thanks for cleaning him up."

"Oh... Don't mention it. Um... I'll leave you two alone, I suppose..." Rain slips out of the stall, clearly embarrassed. You can't help but smile as she walks away.
----------------------------
Alyssa steps down into the dark room. "Jessup?" she whispers, shaking him awake.

"A-" he starts to say loudly, before Alyssa places a hand over his mouth to silence him. She holds a finger to her lips and takes her hand away. He begins again, whispering. "Ali? What are you doing in the men's barracks?"

"I just wanted to check on my little brother..."

"You shouldn't be breaking the rules like this, though! Especially on your first day!" his voice is rising, and Alyssa silences him again. Someone stirs in a nearby bed.

"Don't worry, I doubt they really care about men and women... fraternizing, especially two that aren't actually Holy Knights."

"OK, ew. I don't want to hear my sister talking about those things."

"What do you think about our new friends?"

"I like them well enough. Bud's really nice, and so is Agni, even if he talks a bit funny. I haven't really talked with the others yet, but I think we'll be safe here."

Alyssa smiles. "That's what I want to hear. I'll see you in the morning, Jess." With that, she slips back out the window. She skulks back to the women's barracks, remaining unseen until reaching the door. "Ah... June?"

You turn from opening the door. "Alyssa. Out for an evening jog?"

"Yes, something like that. Just wanted to see if this place was secure as it seemed."

You can't restrain your curiosity. "And what did you find?"

"Well... The outer windows are too low, easy to slip into. The lack of a strong guard means an enemy could slit all our throats in the dead of night. The innermost buildings are safe enough, nice thick walls and only a few narrow windows. Although, if my count isn't completely off, I think there must be a hidden room or two."

"...Wow. I never thought about any of that. I'm impressed."

Alyssa wags a finger at you. "Well, I'm not particularly worried, but it pays to think ahead. Always have an escape plan, y'know? And I have my little brother to worry about, too."

"You really care about him, don't you?"

"More than anything."
#228C_D_M(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 6:31:14 PM
You wake up early, and step out into the training yard. Ferris lies in the training yard, his headband pulled over his eyes and a slight smile on his face. He sits up as you approach, grass falling from his back, his headband still covering his eyes. He groggily removes it. "Oh, hey June. Fancy meeting you here."

"Sleeping again already? You can't possibly be tired..."

"No, but when I got out here, there was still a thin layer of dew on the ground, and I was wondering what it would feel like. I laid myself down to try it, and I guess I must've... dozed off... Heh."

"That's a good way to catch a cold, you know. I'd hate to see you get sick. How's your head, by the way? That monster slammed you pretty good..."

"I'm still really exhausted, but I can manage. Anyway, you up for a quick sparring match? It'll still be a few hours before we can collect our pay from Doran."

You jump at the chance to spar with Ferris, picking up a dulled training axe. He draws a training blade, and adopts a defensive stance.

(A) Try to match his speed
(B) Try to overwhelm him with brute strength
(C) Wait for him to strike and focus on counterattacking
(D) Other
#229Rideps1Posted 5/10/2013 6:46:23 PM
C
---
#230SwordMasterEXPosted 5/10/2013 6:49:16 PM
D- a mixture of C and B parry him until we have an opening then overpower him

If Bruce Lee taught me anything it's to never challenge someone who calls you to them
---
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand I shall reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction