Godawful voice acting decision

#1chibistevoPosted 5/2/2013 6:21:45 AM
I realize this will fall on death ears and people will just pull the generic 'who cares, the game's still good' catchphrase out, but I'm only 20 minutes in and the voice acting is grating me.

I just don't understand the bizarre situation of half assing it. None at all would have made more sense than random two-three worders to sum up a character's sentence.

eg -

Chrom text - 'Is everyone ready? We've a long march ahead.
Chrom voice - 'Everyone ready?'

The VA is already saying the first bit. What's the deal here, did they pay them by the letter?

Chrom text - 'Stahl?'
Chrom voice - 'hmm?'

?

Lissa text - 'Huh? Vaike was supposed to..'
Lissa voice - 'What?'

Even if you consider the VA is just shortened to one worders, why change the 'huh' to 'what?'

The rest of it is just a random selection of laughs, grunts, ummms, ahhs, urghs and ohs. None of it adds any real character to the performance. It's like a mixtape of every single hackneyed quip from America's worst sitcoms.

Rant over.
#2NME_EnterprisesPosted 5/2/2013 6:24:15 AM
You're right, they should've taken into account voice-acting for every single line in the game instead of reusing it whenever slightly appropriate, or not having any at all.
---
People who've needed "a monstah to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!": 128
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/15/heartscream2.jpg
#3YetAnothrShadowPosted 5/2/2013 6:25:26 AM
Good advice is to think of the voice clips as the characters thoughts.
---
http://i.imgflip.com/760c.gif
http://i.imgur.com/alReZ.gif
#4SpikayaPosted 5/2/2013 6:25:26 AM
AND THE WORLD MOVED ON
---
FEA Board - Official Husbando of RNG Goddess Anna :3
There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind.
#5kukingina2Posted 5/2/2013 6:27:04 AM
yea I would have preferred full voice acting as well especially since the voice acting is actually good

they did this with persona as well and I didn't like it then either
---
Anime is saved - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWh8i9EY_U
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047
#6finaleusPosted 5/2/2013 6:27:58 AM
I think they shouldve had more of voice snippets that they have now, but I kinda like it like that rather than having full voice acting (which wouldve been near impossible anyway, considering the amount of supports).

Some lines kinda get on my nerves if I hear them too often though (ie you have my gratitude/looks like teach just got tenure/dont mess with a bunny/etc). I also dont like any of the FeMU voices.
#7XenilPosted 5/2/2013 6:31:52 AM
Agree with you TC it is kinda annoying and a bizarre decision. They should have just opted to voice some scenes and leave out the others instead of putting in a seemingly random voice clip when characters engage in a conversation.
#8OsrangerPosted 5/2/2013 6:33:22 AM
chibistevo posted...
I realize this will fall on death ears and people will just pull the generic 'who cares, the game's still good' catchphrase out, but I'm only 20 minutes in and the voice acting is grating me.

I just don't understand the bizarre situation of half assing it. None at all would have made more sense than random two-three worders to sum up a character's sentence.

eg -

Chrom text - 'Is everyone ready? We've a long march ahead.
Chrom voice - 'Everyone ready?'

The VA is already saying the first bit. What's the deal here, did they pay them by the letter?

Chrom text - 'Stahl?'
Chrom voice - 'hmm?'

?

Lissa text - 'Huh? Vaike was supposed to..'
Lissa voice - 'What?'

Even if you consider the VA is just shortened to one worders, why change the 'huh' to 'what?'

The rest of it is just a random selection of laughs, grunts, ummms, ahhs, urghs and ohs. None of it adds any real character to the performance. It's like a mixtape of every single hackneyed quip from America's worst sitcoms.

Rant over.

Fairly certain that you can turn those half-quotes off in the options. So if it bothers you that much, turn it off.
---
Those are brave men out there. Let's go kill them!
-Tyrion Lannister, Clash of Kings
#9Strawberry_EggsPosted 5/2/2013 6:33:34 AM
Something closer to how voice acting was handled in Luminous Arc, with the more important scenes having full voice acting, then silence outside of battles would have worked better. While I like the actors chosen and the delivery on the lines themselves, the situations the lines are used for can be just plain silly, if not dumb.
---
My 25 Most Favorite Games - http://www.unikgamer.com/members/strawberryeggs-786.html
Official Nah of the Fire Emblem: Awakening board.
#10MrAtIasPosted 5/2/2013 6:36:32 AM
Considering the sheer amount of supports and the way they had to sync up certain clips every time a character begins speaking again, I'm very impressed with what they've gotten done. Maybe it's just because I play a lot of DS / GBA games and I don't have a lot of opportunities to appreciate full voice acting outside of the rare Professor Layton cutscene.

However, that's my opinion. You're entitled to your own.
---
My real name is Encyclopedia.