I just can't seem to get into this game

#1PhoenixFire99Posted 5/2/2013 9:59:32 AM
This is the my first Fire Emblem game. A friend of mine used to play the GBA version in high school and I never liked the idea of permanently losing characters if they died in battle, so I gave that game a miss. Since then I have seen Marth in Super Smash Brothers Melee and found out he was from Fire Emblem but thought nothing of it (as I always used to play as Fox) and only recently found out about FE: Awakening, so thought I'd give it a try. And from the get go I found myself thinking "What the **** is this story?" and "Oh wow this battle system is pretty good" but a good RPG to me should have both a good story and game play. This game only seems to have the latter. I find myself skipping cut scenes and ignoring the cheesy story. But I really want to get into this game. Anyone else find the game hard to get into? I felt the same about Final Fantasy Tactics back in the day but eventually got into it. Maybe I just need to give this more time?
---
When the moon was blue the sea was made of lemonade and my boat was a raspberry bun.
#2NME_EnterprisesPosted 5/2/2013 10:02:02 AM
SRPGs just aren't your thing, probably. And how far are you into the game?

Regardless, this Fire Emblem's story is pretty weak, so it's not too surprising you'd think that. I usually play games for gameplay over story anyway, so it's not an issue for me.
---
People who've needed "a monstah to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!": 128
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/15/heartscream2.jpg
#3PhoenixFire99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 10:05:08 AM(edited)
NME_Enterprises posted...
SRPGs just aren't your thing, probably. And how far are you into the game?

Regardless, this Fire Emblem's story is pretty weak, so it's not too surprising you'd think that. I usually play games for gameplay over story anyway, so it's not an issue for me.

I'm up to Chapter III.

The battle system in this game is amazing. I love to sit there using Auto Battle and watch the computer fight itself, since I still haven't worked out how to heal...

---
When the moon was blue the sea was made of lemonade and my boat was a raspberry bun.
#4hodori86Posted 5/2/2013 10:05:59 AM
There is your problem. Using Auto Battle.
#5PhoenixFire99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 10:07:32 AM
Naa. I only started using it so I could learn how to play better, since I'm a noob.
---
#6jonnovision1Posted 5/2/2013 10:09:37 AM
how are you going to learn to play by watching the (terrible) AI fight?
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#7kukingina2Posted 5/2/2013 10:09:54 AM
some people just don't like japanese anime style storylines (which what FE and Final Fantasy usually has)

don't let it bother you TC if its not for you its not for you
---
Anime is saved - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWh8i9EY_U
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047
#8dadkwasherePosted 5/2/2013 10:11:22 AM
Try either easy casual or normal classic to help ease you in.
There is a help option if you press the button that opens up the menu screen.

Also, remeber to visit topics to find out canon pairings.
---
Alright, MGS5!!! Ready for some more action, snake?
"Time to do some wetwork...and find political solutions. TASTY."
#9tw1g_007Posted 5/2/2013 10:11:23 AM
PhoenixFire99 posted...
Naa. I only started using it so I could learn how to play better, since I'm a noob.

Dude. Are you serious? The fact you are Auto-Battling as a noob is beyond terrible. You don't learn anything by doing that. Auto-Battling is meant for people who know what they are doing and is really mostly for grinding purposes.

If you are trying to learn the game, abstain from using the auto-battle feature completely.
---
Fire Emblem Awakening is the BEST thing that ever happened to the 3DS and yet people on GameFAQs abuse their 3DS by having SEX with it
#10GoIdenAcePosted 5/2/2013 10:15:16 AM
I always view it as somewhat a game of chess.

there are many strategies, and some will always beat others.

keeping in mind weaknesses (axe beat lance beat swords beat axe) and what units are good against others (knight beat archer beat flying beat mage beat knight)

pair ups are also a good thing to keep in mind, one person may be useless as a normal unit, but provide a god awful amount of stat boosts when paired up

also keep in mind the terrain, someone in a forest will have higher avoid than someone on grassland, some units may be able to cross water while others can't

I for one never use auto battle, unless I'm grinding on a DLC chapter

and if this is your first, you should play on casual/normal, if your units die a lot in your game, keep it on casual for every other playthrough, most people who do play on classic reset when a unit dies anyway, so casual would not be that different to them
---
Official Husband of Anna (from paralouge 4)
(on the FE:A boards)