Manaketes are kind of impossible in a way you might not have thought about.

#11hereforemnant(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 5:49:01 PM
Fwahm posted...
The exact same reason their body has severely reduced aging would make their brain last longer too.

So, no.

Why is what keeps their bodies from aging faster what also keeps their brain young? I have no knowledge on what that reason is.
---
They say all good things are bound to come to an end, but why haven't i heard the same about bad things?
#12Starkindler201Posted 5/2/2013 5:49:47 PM
Engel posted...
This is all assuming that Manakete brains function exactly the same as human ones. I admit, there's not much signaling the contrary, but it is possible.

This. Also, long-living or immortal characters are a staple of fantasy (e.g. elves). If you can find a way to justify the lack of an aging process, working around neuroplasticity would be simple by comparison.
#13IlluminaZer0Posted 5/2/2013 5:52:27 PM(edited)
Lost Odyssey isn't a good metric for analyzing Immortality.

Those immortals cannot even keep their grandchildren from hijacking trains. Immortals or no, that's inexcusable. Abandoning their (13 and younger) grandchildren in a massive city alone is a horrific mistake.

And Lost Odyssey doesn't even explore immortality very well at all. The plot frequently forgets that they are immortal for cheap melodrama, and the best parts of the stories (the short-stories) are frequently disjoint from the actual story/setting. (For example: One of Kaim's memories mentions conventional firearms and artillery)

Addendum:

I've never been impressed with the death or adaptability metric argument against immortality at all. Both death and change are inevitable, everyone goes through it, and not even reacts identically to them as well.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#14hereforemnant(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 5:52:32 PM
Osranger posted...
They have ways of dealing with this. You don't see too many Manaketes around older than Tiki, and she is only like this because she spends most of her life sleeping. Nowi is a thousand. Bantu is still around yes, but we don't know what state of mind he is in. Another thing to note is that Manaketes before anything else are dragons. They are not human. They had to store their power in stones in order to keep themselves from going insane, but their true forms are dragons. The human looking form is the altered state, not the other way around.

Kinda. The minute one of them no longer has access to a stone, they're screwed. They are primarily humans and second dragons, if it was dragons primarily, the stone would change them into a human, not how it currently is. Assuming this is a logical process, since i have no understanding how 'storing power in the stones' keeps them sane.
---
They say all good things are bound to come to an end, but why haven't i heard the same about bad things?
#15hereforemnant(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 5:54:20 PM
SamuraiLloyd posted...

It's a fictional race in a fantasy video game that features sword and sorcery, rabbit people, time travel, zombies, Anna and a giant demonic dragon.

I think this is one of those time where you should stop thinking so much and really just relax.

Hey, i complain about near-immortal creatures, everyone else complains about censoring and marriages, to each his own right? It's my job as a human to question my environment, even if it's fiction.
---
#16IstilldunoPosted 5/2/2013 5:55:09 PM
My, my, a seperate species in a separate game, set in a different universe works in a different way to these ones, whatever could this mean?

(Odds are sod all)
---
All the rules you need to play a videogame are coded into it, adding extras proves you lack the ability to play well by those existing rules.
#17BarkitPosted 5/2/2013 5:57:36 PM
And now I'm plagued by this question.

Why isn't Myrrh in this game?! I wanna see her cameo in spot pass and dlc and see how they do her portrait art.
#18hereforemnant(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 5:57:47 PM
IlluminaZer0 posted...
Lost Odyssey isn't a good metric for analyzing Immortality.

Those immortals cannot even keep their grandchildren from hijacking trains. Immortals or no, that's inexcusable. Abandoning their (13 and younger) grandchildren in a massive city alone is a horrific mistake.

And Lost Odyssey doesn't even explore immortality very well at all. The plot frequently forgets that they are immortal for cheap melodrama, and the best parts of the stories (the short-stories) are frequently disjoint from the actual story/setting. (For example: One of Kaim's memories mentions conventional firearms and artillery)

Addendum:

I've never been impressed with the death or adaptability metric argument against immortality at all. Both death and change are inevitable, everyone goes through it, and not even reacts identically to them as well.

Well yes, if they were truly immortal, they would never die in battle. But then it would have been turned into a movie or book if they could really never die, it's all for balancing sake. The memories were laid out that way for a reason though if i remember correctly. They would serve as the player's background to Kaim's past, which those memories therein contained his most precious memories, despite how simple they seemed. It's understandable that they had no bearing on the main story isn't it?

Scientists are thinking of ways of transporting memories and such i heard...
---
#19IlluminaZer0Posted 5/2/2013 6:01:35 PM(edited)
hereforemnant posted...
Well yes, if they were truly immortal, they would never die in battle. But then it would have been turned into a movie or book if they could really never die, it's all for balancing sake. The memories were laid out that way for a reason though if i remember correctly. They would serve as the player's background to Kaim's past, which those memories therein contained his most precious memories, despite how simple they seemed. It's understandable that they had no bearing on the main story isn't it?

Scientists are thinking of ways of transporting memories and such i heard...

I'm not talking about gameplay but story.

The game doesn't even do a basic time jump. And the characters frequently forget they are immortal for cheap drama.

Example: The horrifically melodramatic goodbye when Kaim and his wife "sacrificed" themselves to save their grandchildren in that horrific train sequence.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#20Strawberry_EggsPosted 5/2/2013 6:00:43 PM
I think it's fun to ponder largely illogical aspects like this. Sure it's pointless, but it makes for very interesting discussion.
---
My 25 Most Favorite Games - http://www.unikgamer.com/members/strawberryeggs-786.html
Official Nah of the Fire Emblem: Awakening board.