How do I know so little about this game?

#1SenactPosted 5/6/2013 10:47:14 AM
I'm playing through the campaign on normal, and I seem to be doing well, I can usually avoid any unit deaths in every level (I'm currently on chapter 22) But when I come on the message board, there are all these discussions about marriage, pairing up the best units, skill swapping, children and the list goes on.

Now I discovered marriage because I hit S rank with Chrom, then all of a sudden Lucina was revealed. Whenever any of my units hit S-rank and are man/women, they get married then a prologue episode opens up and I get another kid. But the Kids can't earn pair up bonuses like the main characters so I'm not sure why you'd ever use one of the kids. You never have enough character slots in a chapter anyway.

How do people know the best characters to marry too, and which classes to choose for the best skills, and what is the point of children when they appear seemingly useless compared to mains....

I haven't used any of my stat boost items, and at this stage in the game, I just pair up my mains with their spouse and powerhouse my way through everything using the same characters every fight. I'm usually not in the dark about games, but this one seemed very vague on explanations. This is my first Fire emblem game.

I had Fredrick reach max level, so I used a second seal to turn him into a guardian, but I didn't like it, so I used a second seal again and it forced me to step down to a primary class, so then I had to level him back up to 10 to make him a great knight again...
#2jonnovision1Posted 5/6/2013 10:49:16 AM
the children are superior to their parents in every way, and yes, they can use pair up bonuses, they can even have S ranks with other children (or MU if s/he's unmarried)
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#3SazukeEXPosted 5/6/2013 10:49:51 AM
We know because we've been here quite awhile and have been theory crafting even before the game came to the states.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#4HotFlames30Posted 5/6/2013 10:54:01 AM
Senact posted...
I'm playing through the campaign on normal, and I seem to be doing well, I can usually avoid any unit deaths in every level (I'm currently on chapter 22) But when I come on the message board, there are all these discussions about marriage, pairing up the best units, skill swapping, children and the list goes on.

Now I discovered marriage because I hit S rank with Chrom, then all of a sudden Lucina was revealed. Whenever any of my units hit S-rank and are man/women, they get married then a prologue episode opens up and I get another kid. But the Kids can't earn pair up bonuses like the main characters so I'm not sure why you'd ever use one of the kids. You never have enough character slots in a chapter anyway.

Chrom automatically married someone in like... Chapter 12 or something. They do earn pair-up bonuses. The only things kids can't do is have kids. The kids have access to a wider selection of classes depending on how you married the parents. The parents also change their stat caps. (a child with Lissa as mom will have higher MAG cap than a child with Cordelia, for example.)

How do people know the best characters to marry too, and which classes to choose for the best skills, and what is the point of children when they appear seemingly useless compared to mains....

Tested through a lot of playthroughs. See above for using children.

I haven't used any of my stat boost items, and at this stage in the game, I just pair up my mains with their spouse and powerhouse my way through everything using the same characters every fight. I'm usually not in the dark about games, but this one seemed very vague on explanations. This is my first Fire emblem game.

I had Fredrick reach max level, so I used a second seal to turn him into a guardian, but I didn't like it, so I used a second seal again and it forced me to step down to a primary class, so then I had to level him back up to 10 to make him a great knight again...

You can beat this game no problem with the parents. If you don't want to use the kids, don't bother. The only thing kids are really helpful for are certain DLC maps.

If this whole thing was just a giant troll, I fell for it pretty hard. Which I'm thinking it is (just married at Ch.22)
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI
Ron Swanson is the man.
#5Senact(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 10:58:57 AM
Ha, it wasn't a troll. I didn't discover marriage at Chap 22, I'm just on that chapter now. I discovered marriage chapter 10 or something. I just wasn't sure how people determined all these ideal match ups since there doesn't seem to be an explanation in the game about it. I just matched people up based on their personalities. Sumai seemed to love Chrom, so I paired them up. I liked Nowi's innocent quirykness, so I paired her with my MU. etc
#6Strawberry_EggsPosted 5/6/2013 11:02:19 AM
Eh, I say it's better to play it blind the first time through. I thin it's more fun that way, plus the optimal pairings are only really necessary in the higher difficulties and the hardest DLC map. The only thing I had known about ahead of time is that it's the fifth (or last) skill that get passed down to children
---
My 25 Most Favorite Games - http://www.unikgamer.com/members/strawberryeggs-786.html
Official Nah of the Fire Emblem: Awakening board.