Rate the Character, Chapter 5: Kellam!Owain and Donnel!Owain.

#1guedesbrawlPosted 5/11/2013 5:59:11 PM
Low traffic again... 11 votes. It's slowly decreasing day after day... 27,24,19,14 and now 11. This is a little disheartening.

Fun fact: Stahl!Owain's average was 2,54... almost exactly the middle... also enough to put him on B rank. Guess what? That is also "right in the middle". Heh, that Stahl... I'm not so mad about those D rank votes thanks to this.

Remember guys, forget about those ladies that want Galeforce.

-------------
*Default Owain:

Classes Available: Myrmidon, Swordmaster, Assassin, Barbarian, Berserker, Warrior, Priest, War Monk, Sage.

Skills Available: Avoid +10, Vantage, Astra, Swordfaire, Lethality, Pass, Despoil, Gamble, Wrath, Axefaire, Rally Strength, Counter, Miracle, Healtouch, Rally Luck, Renewal, Rally Magic, Tomefaire, Resistance +10, Aggressor, All Stats +2, Paragon, Iote's Shield, Limit Break.

Special Inheritance: Speed +2. Relief, Rally Speed, Lancefaire, Rally Movement, Galeforce, Resistance +2, Demoiselle, Rally Resistance, Dual Support+.
-------------

-------------
*Kellam!Owain:

New Classes Available: Knight, Great Knight, Thief, Trickster.

New Skills Available: Defense +2, Indoor Fighter, Rally Defense, Luna, Dual Guard+, Locktouch, Movement +1, Lucky Seven, Acrobat.

Modifiers:
+3 Defense and Magic.
+2 Resistance.
+1 Skill and Luck.
0 Strength.
-1 Speed.
-------------

Not as balanced this time around. Owain's default Skillset relies on Astra for a proc, and giving him Luna helps things along. Dual Guard+ makes him a better support, while Pavise might help him minimize some damage.

This is good because this Owain is more magic-oriented, so your Defense will be more shaky. Not bad, outside of the lack of speed and Thief being redundant. B rank today.

-------------
*Donnel!Owain:

New Classes Available: Villager, Mercenary, Hero, Bow Knight, Fighter.

New Skills Available: Aptitude, Underdog, Armsthrift, Patience, Sol, Axebreaker, Rally Skill, Bowbreaker, HP +5, Zeal.

Modifiers:
+6 Luck.
+2 Magic.
+1 Defense and Resistance.
0 Strength and Speed.
-1 Skill.
-------------

Luck overkill... well, Owain has all of the 3 Luck procs to make use of that if he chooses to (Innate Miracle and Despoil, newly acquired Armsthrift), so this isn't that bad news for him.

He gets Sol to increase his chances of surviving, but he still will be relying on Astra for big damage, and that isn't reliable. Infinite legendary weapons for those willing to waste their skillslot on it, instead of wasting less than 2 minutes on Infinite Regalia.

And lastly, Underdog is a cool filler if you choose Dread Fighter for him. Vannila Fighter is redundant, though. B Rank too.

-------------
Character Ranking:

S Rank: The very best pairings, Avatar notwithstanding.

A Rank: Great pairings, can't go wrong picking those.
*Sumia!Lucina
*Olivia!Lucina

B Rank: Good pairings. Can work decently.
*Mariabelle!Lucina
*Frederick!Owain
*Stahl!Owain

C Rank: Average and limited pairings.
*Sully!Lucina
*Virion!Owain
*Vaike!Owain

D Rank: Awful pairings. Cripples the kids, or are useless.
*Maiden!Lucina
-------------
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#2Model_OmegaPosted 5/11/2013 6:05:33 PM
Kellam!Owain: B, one of the better options for helping a pure magic Owain, though you probably won't see much of the thief line, and minus in speed could be an issue.

Donnel!Owain: B, I want to say C because of the clashing stat mods, but Donnel is a good father to pretty much anyone lacking Merc.
---
Patrolling the Awakening message boards almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter...
#3bearclaw13Posted 5/11/2013 6:07:15 PM
C and B
---
I have now moved on to version 13! It's amazing!
#4DemiseEndPosted 5/11/2013 6:15:02 PM
Kellam!Owain:

Time for a trip through the nostalgia lane!

"Question: Which parents ruined Owain the most?

....damn

Come to think of it theres really none

Lon'Qu - Speed mods
Frederick - Palladin with Galeforce and Deliverer
Ricken - Luna and DG+
Stahl - See Frederick, remove deliverer, add Archer
Vaike - Gains Hero and SPD
Gregor - Gregor!Anyone is good
Donnel - Freaking AT Hero
Libra - Optimal. Sorc Acess
Henry - Optimal. Sorc Acess
Gaius - SPD Mods and Hero

I think if theres a father who gives crap spd mods, thief line, Knight line, and Priest line, it would be the worst"

I admit I laughed when I remember this post.
And then Heo reminded me that it gives Pavise and DG+ alongside Luna and the rest is history

Basically, this is one of those "I want to become Frederick, but I can't"pairing that happened with almost every Kellam and you simply forgot this guy exist(cough) . Owain gets an option for Trickster, getting Lucky Seven, but he missed the Wyvern and Hero for the full evasion skillset. After that, its a class overlap. An Inferior Frederick is a good pairing regardless, what with the rare Pavise alongside the essential Luna and DG+

B

Donnel!Owain

This is essentially a modless Owain. AT Hero is nice, but its not saying much. Warrior and FIghter overlaps, no Wyvern for the faires, no thief for Lucky Seven either which wasted the Axebreaker. It has a niche for non DLC, but eh. Owain lacked Sorcerer or a full tanking set up to really abuse Armthrift for that matter. Maybe, Cellica Gale with AT, Sol, and Vantage
The exact definition of "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" especially when Owain lacked class sets that really needs AT, what with being good at magic, an amazing support unit and whatnot

You know, the more I look at it, the more I realized how limited Armthrift usage really is

B. B- if I can say so
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#5HeoandReoPosted 5/11/2013 6:49:45 PM(edited)
Kellam!Owain: C
Not nearly as good as other potential fathers, at least he gets Luna, Pavise and Dual Guard+, so not all is lost. It's good for a support or tanky Owain, maybe like a bulky War Monk with Axefaire, but don't expect much else from him. Demise put it best saying essentially that most Kellam pairings are basically poor man's Frederick pairings. Owain doesn't really need Thief since he already gets Assassin, and Priest is wasted entirely since Owain already gets it. He gets quite a bit of useful stuff from Knight alone, but not quite enough for me to get him out of C, I'm afraid.

Donny!Owain: C
This one's actually okay because of Mercenary alone. Hey, I see people run Gregor!Owain and nobody bats an eye. Donny!Owain is basically that except better. Giving him Mercenary is just enough to give him Inigo's class set, along with other perks such as Vantage/Sol and unbreakable weapons. Very solid for a physically-inclined Owain, and might be doable for a magic one as well. Those mods hurt a lot, though, and arguably only Kjelle or Nah can make Donny work mod-wise for their roles.
#6guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 6:20:22 AM
12 hours of no posts, more or less.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#7emblemmaster99Posted 5/12/2013 6:59:29 AM
Kellam!Owain-B
It at least negates Lissa's strength mod, and he gets high defense and magic mods. The added defense can help when he's in his high speed, low defense classes, but the -1 speed could potentially hurt him(not likely though). The Thief class line is somewhat redundant though.

Donnel!Owain-B
the luck stat on this guy is overkill(unless you are trying to get Miracle to activate as much as possible) but having 100% Armsthrift even when soloing can be occasionally useful. His physical mods hurt him somewhat though. His offense is still lacking due to relying on Astra for damage, but Sol can boost his survivability.
#8guedesbrawl(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 7:15:30 AM
COME ON....
---
Confession Time!
#9DT_MudkipPosted 5/12/2013 7:47:33 AM
C and B
#10Col_MobiusPosted 5/12/2013 7:53:44 AM
Kellam is okay, I guess. Luna and DG+ are decent? I don't know. It's fine, but like Stahl it's just uniformly subpar compared to Frederick. C

Donnel!Owain is the best physical Owain hands down. AT + Sol owns. A
---
3DS FC: 0533-4140-9968