Why does Fire Emblem have so many characters who are redundant?

#21NodetailsPosted 5/12/2013 12:54:23 AM
FE6: Treck looks the least impressive on paper when compared to the other horsey units. Alan and Lance show up 6 chapters earlier with similar bases and growth wise with Treck only winning on Luck and Def. Noah has worse growths (other than Skl and Res), but has mildly better bases and has that C sword rank, which a useful tool to have in the ax-happy Western Isles. Marcus and Zealot are both cool guys, and Percival clearly has had practice with his thrust and penetration techniques, especially on hard mode. This isn't to say Treck is made of fail; he just seems unnecessary when considering his competition.

And then there's Fir. As much as I want her to give birth to my babies, Rutger Hauer exists, and beating early game bosses without using the redcoat is difficult. Basically, once you hit the Western Isles, your Rutger is usually coated in awesome, so why use Fir?
#22IlluminaZer0Posted 5/12/2013 12:56:10 AM(edited)
jonnovision1 posted...
... also I think it's also because they may have noticed the opinion on archers.

I certainly hope that's not the reason there are so few archers in-game. The last thing Fire Emblem needs is more homogeneity in unit functionality.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#23stardust999Posted 5/12/2013 12:57:53 AM
jonnovision1 posted...
*looks at noire* I mean ya she's a child but still... also I think it's also because they may have noticed the opinion on archers.

That doesn't matter, they still really only give you the "first wave" of units in this game, without any of the redundant replacement characters. You only get the two Cavaliers at the start instead of hordes and hordes of them in varying colors, Gregor's your only Merc, Maribelle's your only Troubador, they cut out the late joining third of the Pegasus Sisters, etc. Say'ri, Basilio and Flavia are really the only characters who fit the bill. Anna doesn't really count since she's practically a joke character.

The children don't really count either because they're so highly customizable; they're not redundant units, they're superior units that you have ot put conscious effort into getting.

This is partially because of the marriage mechanic though, which is also why every character basically walks into your roster without any fight.
#24DemiseEndPosted 5/12/2013 12:59:13 AM
The problem with Treck is the fact that he is a horsie

You can't become useless if you are a horsie

Also Treck + Noah is pretty amazing
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#25HodouPosted 5/12/2013 1:39:19 AM
IlluminaZer0 posted...
jonnovision1 posted...
... also I think it's also because they may have noticed the opinion on archers.

I certainly hope that's not the reason there are so few archers in-game. The last thing Fire Emblem needs is more homogeneity in unit functionality.

It would help, then, if people were willing to use more units that aren't 1-2 range and designed to just counterkill everything in existence.

In fact, that strategy in general is pretty lame gameplay. They should probably make it... I dunno... Harder to pull off.

You know, with tougher enemies.

Requiring more realistic tactics.
#26HodouPosted 5/12/2013 1:40:30 AM
Also token complaint about TCs post:

Yes, there still exist people who play with unit deaths. I am one of them. I enjoy having replacements if things go wrong. Go away please.
#27Someguy_13Posted 5/12/2013 2:46:55 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#28CeaseYourSaladPosted 5/12/2013 2:55:31 AM
Up until reclassing, I'm pretty sure the reason for redundant units is so that we may all know the joys of having 5 paladins and 3 falcoknights tear through maps of unsuspecting enemies with their higher mobility.