Anyone else besides me think that Armsthrift is overrated?

#1MC_STAAVYPosted 5/12/2013 9:47:32 PM(edited)
There are more than enough weapons in the game for your characters to use. They are pretty much thrown at you in the barracks and on the sparkling tiles. Add in golden gaff and you never really need to worry about running out of weapons. Hell even if you do run out of weapons in a fight you can just get some from Chrom's inventory.

The only real benefit I see to it is to keep Ragnell usable for as long as possible. No other weapon is worth keeping around in my eyes. (Axes and lances both have their 1-2 range variants. Swords don't besides Levin sword, which sucks for physical fighters.) But hell you can just hammerne Ragnell a bunch of times.

If there weren't Levin swords in the game I would maybe consider using Armsthrift to keep Ragnell alive. But other than that, why not use forged ranged weapons? Then when they break, just go through golden gaffe and get more forged weapons?

This is how I role in any case. No need to have nigh unlimited uses when any other great skill could be used.
---
Brawl FC: 1032-0931-6818
#2Misha-HeartPosted 5/12/2013 9:51:07 PM
Some people play without DLC, so Armthrift is basically their god.

I think it's overrated too. It's mainly a postgame skill for lazy people.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Oh Poor soul who has lost their love, I will make your heart race once more!
#3jonnovision1Posted 5/12/2013 9:53:23 PM
1. forging items costs a lot of money for the weapons that you'd actually want to forge.

2. Brave weapons go through, ideally, 4 uses per round of combat and they only have 30, not, that's only a little more than 7 rounds before it breaks, which isn't actually that much. (this ties into number 1.)

3. a lot of the better tomes have really low durability, Aversa's Night has only 10, Celica's Gale has only 20 (while also going through up to 4 per round like Brave weapons) and so on. (this one also ties into number 1.) also Aversa's Night isn't purchasable, only found from DLC villages or Event Tiles.

basically, you don't need it, but you'd be grinding a lot for money/weapons if you didn't have it.
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#4finaleusPosted 5/12/2013 9:53:40 PM
Aversa's Night*cough*

I like armsthrift on anyone I can get it on because nothing is more irritating than having to forge brave weapons over and over. Anyone who can get it gets their stuff forged, and anyone who doesn't has to settle with crappier weapons.
#5chtma653Posted 5/12/2013 9:55:11 PM
Some items are really expensive (forged brave weapons), others are really difficult to track down (good luck finding a replacement Helswath if your first two break), and some are both (forged Celica's Gale).
---
I, do, no,t, hav,e, a, c,o,m,m,a, p,ro,,,b,,l,em,,,,,
You may not include spoiler tags in your signature :(
#6bottlegnomesPosted 5/12/2013 9:58:29 PM
Misha-Heart posted...
Some people play without DLC, so Armthrift is basically their god.

I think it's overrated too. It's mainly a postgame skill for lazy people.

Yep. It's pretty much useless in the main game because you probably won't have to use the legendary weapons enough to worry about breaking them and there's enough free weapons/money that you don't have to worry about regular ones.

However, it is nice for grinding characters because you don't have to buy a bunch of weapons to keep characters constantly stocked up. It's also nice because you can give characters legendary/special weapons without worrying about using them up.
---
"You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't contacted us."
- Calvin
#7MC_STAAVY(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 9:59:06 PM
That's nice and all, but if you have a stockpile of forged items that you want to use all the time in your convoy, you can get them from Chrom mid battle anyways. This allows people to have an extra skill in combat. Armsthrift is a waste of a skill really. All it saves you is a turn or two in which you have to trade with Chrom.

I suppose in Lunatic you may need those turns in order to attack now instead of trade. But other than that, Armsthrift really doesn't help much.
---
Brawl FC: 1032-0931-6818
#8WestbrickVIIPosted 5/12/2013 10:01:33 PM
Welcome to the Club of Common Sense, TC.

Armsthrift is largely useless. Gregor and Donnel (Normal / Hard) can use it effectively during the main campaign, but it serves no purpose during postgame, where items, gold, and legendary weapons are unlimited. It is, at best, a slight time-saver so the player can avoid grinding Infinite Regalia.

It's Galeforce syndrome: people hyping up a useless skill because its theoretical benefits don't cash out in practice.
#9jonnovision1Posted 5/12/2013 10:02:09 PM
MC_STAAVY posted...
That's nice and all, but if you have a stockpile of forged items that you want to use all the time in your convoy, you can get them from Chrom mid battle anyways. This allows people to have an extra skill in combat. Armsthrift is a waste of a skill really. All it saves you is a turn or two in which you have to trade with Chrom.

I suppose in Lunatic you may need those turns in order to attack now instead of trade. But other than that, Armsthrift really doesn't help much.

this doesn't address the issue of rare weapons, where are you getting your stockpile of Aversa's Night? are you going to run through a DLC map hundreds of times until you get enough to supply all of your sorcerers?
---
"Reinforcements? I am the Reinforcements."
PKMN Black FC: 0261 9500 8363
#10EndgamePosted 5/12/2013 10:02:39 PM
I actually reccomend skipping it outside of Helswath and Aversa's Night usage

Celica's Gale can be bought from Celica's Spotpass team
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert