Can Frederick be on par with the rest?

#1ZujinPosted 5/16/2013 3:56:10 AM
So I finished normal, now I'm on hard (working my way up) and I want to change my units this time around. First time I used Vaike too much, he was way too strong and by mid to end game I could just run him out in the open, let everyone attack him and finish the map with just him. His total stats were at least 20-30 points higher than the others aside I think Inigo, who was actually his son. As for Frederick, well first time I avoided using Frederick so he didn't steal the exp and make it too easy. By the time I thought of trying to fix him up I had already progressed too far into the game.

Now on hard I've given him a second seal straight away and reclassed him back to the start... But he's still lacking. Is he doomed to be sub-par or am I just getting bad luck with his stat gains? I wanted to make him a powerhouse this run but he's not even half as good as Vaike was for me.
#2DemiseEndPosted 5/16/2013 4:00:22 AM
Pair her with Sumia or Cordelia and watch him turns both of them into Gods
Also feed him enough kills for 10/15 and Reclass Palladin for even better pair up bonus

Seriously though, if you did not grind thats like his purpose of existance and he do a good job on it. Definitely one of the best unit in the game
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#3banjo kazooiePosted 5/16/2013 4:25:19 AM(edited)
When you get to Lunatic, you will need Freddy. You can, and probably should, phase out his use in favour of someone who'll gain EXP faster, though he can be powerful long-term regardless. He'll hog EXP, though.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#4fi3rcedragonPosted 5/16/2013 4:46:31 AM
His caps are pretty much on par with everyone else, but Frederick's base stats are totally awful and his internal level is already fairly high compared to other classes with much better bases, so it'll take a lot longer to build him up to scratch. He's usable on Normal and Hard, but on Lunatic he's a bit of a liability and is really just there to be paired up for the bonuses.
---
hurghhhh
#5DemiseEndPosted 5/16/2013 4:50:49 AM
Frederick is outright neccesary in Lunatic
---
#6Shadow_Master_JPosted 5/16/2013 4:58:11 AM
fi3rcedragon posted...
His caps are pretty much on par with everyone else, but Frederick's base stats are totally awful and his internal level is already fairly high compared to other classes with much better bases, so it'll take a lot longer to build him up to scratch. He's usable on Normal and Hard, but on Lunatic he's a bit of a liability and is really just there to be paired up for the bonuses.

There's a reason the first 5 Lunatic chapters in the game is called Frederick Emblem.

And no, TC, Frederick has arguably the worst growths in the game (which even then, it's pretty high for the series' standard). He can hold himself well until ~chapter 19, where he'll start getting destroyed. It's not worth grinding him whereas Sully and Stahl become far better. His only utility is to carry you for the first 5 chapters, then pair-up fodder until chapter 15.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!
#7DemiseEndPosted 5/16/2013 4:59:55 AM
Fred's growth is better than Chrom actually
---
#8Zujin(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 5:04:23 AM
DemiseEnd posted...

That was actually my second question. I spent my first run just having him paired up with others so he wasn't a liability as I didn't feel he was as strong as most of my team.... This run... Pretty much the same thing.

Maybe I should have worked on Stahl instead, because I didn't use him at all either. I think he was level 5 or something by the end of my first play through.
#9DemiseEndPosted 5/16/2013 5:06:19 AM
Okay to put it simply, Fred's longevity is basically judged by how much speed you can get for him

And he has 45% Growth on speed

Stahl is pretty much the same thing, but unlike Freddy, Stahl has faster EXP gain, so hes not as screwed by speed
---
#10Shadow_Master_JPosted 5/16/2013 5:14:34 AM
DemiseEnd posted...

GAWDS, for unknown reasons I was looking at Lissa's instead of Frederick's. I was like, why the hell does he have 50% Magic growth? And why that high Luck growth?

So yeah, his growths looks like Chrom's, although it's not better at all. It's more HP, Str and Def, against Skill, Speed and Luck.
---
If you're reading this, CONGRATULATIONS!! You're wasting your time!!