Let's Optimize: Child 4: Owain

#1Dragonboy86Posted 5/16/2013 9:40:39 PM
Hello and welcome to a series on optimization. This topic was inspired by this one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66104587

So this topic is a sort of spiritual successor to that topic, but with more focus on a specific character rather than a scattered few.

The purpose of this topic is the following:
1) To investigate new potential pairings
2 To explore old ones and see if there are more variants of builds
3) Debate older ones in an intelligent and polite manner (At least I hope so)
4) To create a directory for newer players who want to min/max or want to play around with pairings.

So how this is going to work is that I list and analyze at least 3 of his possible Fathers and list his father's most desired skills/classes/mods.

So without further ado, I present to you the hand-twitching swordsman, Owain.

Libra! Owain
A once popular set that has fallen out of grace, but it is by no means the worst set. In terms of mods, the only noticible one is +3 MAG, which is still pretty good. In terms of classes, HUGE CLASS OVERLAP, but he does get access to Sorcerer and with innate access to Vantage, he can play a high risk, high reward game with Vengeance. His Vengeance build is best played as a Sage, but go ahead if you want to use a sorcerer build.

Vengeance (Sage/Sorcerer):
Vengeance
Vantage
Wrath/Aggressor
Gamble/Tomefaire
Limit Break

With Celica's Gale.

Ricken! Owain
A relatively new pairing and people are calling it his most optimal pairing yet. Despite the overlap in Sage, he still gets access to Luna, Dual Guard+, and Aegis. However, it's not just the classes that make this pairing strong; It's the mods. +4 MAG is VERY good and it lets him play any magical role pretty damn well. Sadly, he is mostly relegated to Sage if he wants to do anything cuz that -3 STR really hurts any potential as a physical unit, but hey, it's all about optimization and we don't need to have fun /sarcasm.

Sage Pair-Up:
Luna
Tomefaire
Dual Guard+
Agressor
Limit Break.

Frederick! Lissa
Someone said that Stahl! Owain is pretty good, but why not take it a step further with Frederick? A relatively awkward pairing, but one that's not bad at all. First off, unlike most of his other fathers, there is no class overlap. Second, Frederick passes off both Aegis and Pavise and with Owain having innate access to Renewal, he gets one of the best defensive sets in the game, second only to Vantage/Sol, but doesn't necessarily get a class that can use it (unless someone else can figure it out). In terms of mods, they balance each other out. Both STR and MAG are left at neutral, leaving +1 SKL and +1 DEF, which is better than nothing. However, he can still play Sage if you really want him to: He just won't double a handful of TSON enemies and Final Boss of TSON. As a Physical fighter, he becomes pretty powerful thanks to all the classes he has access to. Also, most of the other typical Berserker supporters wish they had Luna AND Galeforce so that's a plus. Lastly, if you really want to satisfy his Sword hand, Assassin is viable.

Assassin dat swordhand /Berserker CoLead:
Luna
Aggressor
Swordfaire/Axefaire
Dual Guard+
Limit Break.

Note: Forged Brave Swords might be best since there is no Armsthrift.

Paladin/Griffon Rider Support:
Dual Guard+
Deliverer
Agressor
Swordfaire/Axefaire
Limit Break
---
Now Playing: UMVC3, FE: Awakening, KH:3D
A vicious member of the Brotherhood that wields the Fists of Fire.
#2Dragonboy86(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 10:18:20 PM(edited)
Do Not Post:

Stahl! Lissa
Maybe I went a little too far to say that Frederick is better than Stahl, which isn't the case at all. It all depends on class and stat preferences. In mods, he gets neutral in STR SPD, and SKL and +1 MAG with +1 DEF, which is a little better. There is a little class overlap, but he still gets Dual Guard+ and Luna, which makes him a great CoLead and supporter. He loses Pavise, but he doesn't particularly need it. One unique thing he gets from Stahl and that's the Archer tree. With innate access to Counter, he can run a Sniper build and we all know how fond I am of Snipers. Most of the builds for Frederick!Owain work with Stahl! Owain. Just retract any of the skills that Frederick passes on and you're set (cuz it's late night and I'm exhausted and my cold is not doing me any favors). Now for a new build:

Safe Positioning Sniper:
Luna
Counter
Agressor/RES+10/Aegis
Galeforce
Limit Break

Donnel! Owain
Okay this one has people turning heads...I'm sure of it. So let's get the bad stuff out of the way. Mods are average, mostly bordering into negative with +1 MAG, but with +6 LCK, which can be ignored for the most part. In terms of classes, Owain gets access Mercenary and Sol, which means Armsthrift and Sol respectively. With Vantage, you get the best defensive set in the game. Also, with Armsthrift, you can finally use Astra without wasting any weapon, which means Owain gets to flex that Sword Hand as much as he pleases.

SWORDHAND! (Assassin/Swordmaster):
Agressor
Astra
Armsthrift
Galeforce
Limit Break

Vantage Tank (Hero)
Swordfaire
Vantage
Sol
Armsthrift
Limit Break

Sage Support:
Agressor
Tomefaire
Armsthrift
Zeal/Gamble
Limit Break

Overall:
Like Noire, Owain doesn't get everything he wants with his desired parents and even then, his class options may become kind of limited. However, whatever he does get, he can play very effectively given the right partner.

There are other pairings, but let's start out with these guys so we can have a discussion. See something you don't like? Debate it. See something that can be improved upon? Post it. Found an underrated/good pairing that no one else knows about want to talk about it? Tell us. As long as you need it's about the character in the topic title.
Let's have a good discussion.

Note: I'm studying for mid-terms so there might be somethings I missed (pairings or skills) so cut me a little slack this time.

References:

TSON enemy Data (Thank MichaelXC for this one):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66034255

Serenes Forest Links:
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_max_all.html (Maximum Stats Calculator)
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html (Skills List)

The weapons lists is too big so just head to the serenes forest site for that and other goodies.

So let's have a good discussion about Owain

The next topic will be a female child so vote for the next girl.

Edit: I forgot that it's late night. I will bump it in the morning.
---
#3Roark17Posted 5/16/2013 11:01:52 PM
You forgot Galeforce again!

On Ricken!Owain's "support" Sage set:

Galeforce
Aggressor
Luna
DG+/Tomefaire/AS+2

This is the best Owain. It also isn't new. It's been on Endgame's guide for a while now but it's just now picking up speed. The first 3 skills are unequivocal, and the 4th slot is a choice between more defense, more offense, or doubling power.

Oh, and you know what Stahl!Owain has over Frederick!Owain? A non-negative Spd mod. I started flirting with the idea of Stahl!Owain solely as an alternative to Ricken!Owain because, lately, Ricken is in demand. Stahl!Owain can run the exact same set-up I listed above, but with a lower Mag mod.

So, if you like Ricken!Owain but want to use Ricken's Great Knight and Sage access elsewhere, you should consider Stahl!Owain, provided you aren't using Stahl's Great Knight and Myrmidon access already.
#4Dragonboy86(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 10:25:31 AM
Roark17 posted...
You forgot Galeforce again!

On Ricken!Owain's "support" Sage set:

Galeforce
Aggressor
Luna
DG+/Tomefaire/AS+2

This is the best Owain. It also isn't new. It's been on Endgame's guide for a while now but it's just now picking up speed. The first 3 skills are unequivocal, and the 4th slot is a choice between more defense, more offense, or doubling power.

Oh, and you know what Stahl!Owain has over Frederick!Owain? A non-negative Spd mod. I started flirting with the idea of Stahl!Owain solely as an alternative to Ricken!Owain because, lately, Ricken is in demand. Stahl!Owain can run the exact same set-up I listed above, but with a lower Mag mod.

So, if you like Ricken!Owain but want to use Ricken's Great Knight and Sage access elsewhere, you should consider Stahl!Owain, provided you aren't using Stahl's Great Knight and Myrmidon access already.

Sorry. Slipped my mind. A cold is not easy to fight. Immune system is garbage.

Stahl! Owain is already on there, but I didn't put a Sage support for some reason.

Also, I guess this counts as my morning bump.
---
#5Devil_Killer_JCPosted 5/17/2013 10:45:22 AM(edited)
Well, I wouldn't call Donnel!Owain optimal, but it's not too bad of a pairing. He has miracle by default, which is decent with that huge LUK mod (max LUK without pair ups/rallies/stat up items = 61 with LB), plus he'll have vantage + sol, as well as armsthrift available, so there are a few builds that he can pull off fairly well.

Tanky hero build:

Class: Hero or perhaps Dread Fighter (if you want the extra RES)
Sol
Vantage
Galeforce
Armsthrift (or, if you're not using regalia, miracle)
LB

Miracle abuse (probably a decent setup for streetpass)

Class: Sage

Counter
Miracle
Vantage
Sol
LB
---
PSN: Devil_Killer_JCS
biohazardmercenaries.com
#6guedesbrawlPosted 5/17/2013 10:55:06 AM
Gregor would be better than Donnel if you are just looking for Armsthrift.

Owain has no good Merc/Hero pairings outside of MU... they all have incredible class overlap.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#7Devil_Killer_JCPosted 5/17/2013 10:58:27 AM
guedesbrawl posted...

Owain has no good Merc/Hero pairings outside of MU... they all have incredible class overlap.

Yep. Gregor's classes overlap bad (barbarian and myrmidon), as do Donnel's (Fighter and Merc overlap by default, and fighter overlaps with barbarian). That's why I said it really isn't what I would call optimal.
---
biohazardmercenaries.com
#8Dragonboy86(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 12:16:42 PM
Devil_Killer_JC posted...
guedesbrawl posted...

Yep. Gregor's classes overlap bad (barbarian and myrmidon), as do Donnel's (Fighter and Merc overlap by default, and fighter overlaps with barbarian). That's why I said it really isn't what I would call optimal.

Optimal in the long run? Probably not. Optimal Armsthrift option without MAMU? probably. This is the only build that can abuse Astra without wasting resources so that's why I put Donnel there.
---
#9JudeasPosted 5/17/2013 12:21:31 PM
Pretty sure Astra only uses 1 weapon use, not 5.
---
And then God created Saturn...and he liked it, so he put a ring on it.
#10Devil_Killer_JCPosted 5/17/2013 12:31:37 PM
Judeas posted...
Pretty sure Astra only uses 1 weapon use, not 5.

You are. I just checked. I did it with a fully stocked Elthunder, which has 35 uses. The first attack didn't proc astra, the second did a 2 hit astra. The tome's uses went down to 33 (no armsthrift involved here), which means that astra only takes 1 use.
---
biohazardmercenaries.com