My first Fire Emblem game. Casual or Classic?

#1fallenKlNGPosted 5/18/2013 8:15:59 PM
I'm really tempted to play on Casual mode, because I really don't like the idea of someone permanently dying, but everyone keeps saying I won't get the Fire Emblem experience if I don't have perma-death on. What should I do?

What exactly happens after someone dies on Classic as far as replacements go? Do they get replaced with a similar character? What if I keep allowing the replacements to die? Is there a limit to how many replacements you can get? Do the replacements start all the way back at level 1 (I haven't touched the game yet, so I dunno how leveling works)?

If I'm playing on Normal, is it possible to go the entire game without anyone dying on me?
---
Wait I got it! Super Mario 3D Land will be in California and Super Mario 3D World will be in Florida. Zing! ~AloofGuyXXVII
#2FiendEmperorPosted 5/18/2013 8:19:31 PM
Just play casual. It won't change 'The Fire Emblem Experience'. those guys are just the fire emblem version of republicans.
No, when someone dies there is no replacement character.
Yes, you can go through the game without losing anyone, and most people do.
#3DropPants4FamePosted 5/18/2013 8:49:32 PM
Just play classic and restart the level if you die.

Casual takes out the strategy cuz u just suicide all your units, win the level and wallah, you get all your units back. The game isn't suppose to be played this way imho.
#4DrakoVongola1Posted 5/18/2013 8:55:45 PM(edited)
Play Classic, it's much better that way.

If a unit dies they're gone forever, they're never replaced by similar characters. There are only two characters who can never die: Chrom and your Avatar. Coneniently these two characters can also solo maps, so it wouldn't be impossible.

It's definitely possible to play without losing anyone. A lot of people, myself included, like to play through with recruiting every unit and not letting anyone die in these games.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#5ToadsteryPosted 5/18/2013 8:55:15 PM
Go play Classic if you want to be pressured and more strategy oriented.
Casual still HAS STRATEGY just units won't leave forever, here you won't really soft-reset if one of your Characters get massacred by unexpected massacres.

So pretty much Classic if you want to be more Strategy Oriented and Casual for less Rage-Resetting. o .o
---
My 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7562-4561 (Aeu)
A young hardheaded boy at your service!... Sort of.
#6SazukeEXPosted 5/18/2013 8:57:04 PM
Casual

Awakening was not balanced very well for Classic on the higher difficulties for sure. Also most characters just "Retreat and are injured" very few actually "die" for realz.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#7WestbrickVIIPosted 5/18/2013 9:38:58 PM
Classic, without question. It will make you grow more attached to your characters and will prepare you for the higher difficulties (and other games in the series), as the kind of carelessness Casual enables isn't going to fly there.
#8SazukeEXPosted 5/18/2013 9:43:28 PM
WestbrickVII posted...
Classic, without question. It will make you grow more attached to your characters and will prepare you for the higher difficulties (and other games in the series), as the kind of carelessness Casual enables isn't going to fly there.

I find that it just induces rage and resets and denies you 2 extra save slots.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#9Rideps1Posted 5/18/2013 9:51:23 PM
No doubt, classic gives a bit more excitement. But Casual works as well.

Just don't play normal mode, unless you are completely new to strategy games. Because this games normal should not be called normal at all. It's more of a "Very Easy" mode.
---
Possibly the Kellam of the FE:A boards.
But no one notices enough to make it official...
#10GrandpriestPosted 5/18/2013 9:57:44 PM
The differences between these two difficulty types is as follows:
1. When someone is killed on Classic, the majority of the players just reset the map to not lose them. Basically, it means that if anyone dies, in the majority of the players' minds, they get a big fat GAMEOVER and need to redo the level.
2. When anyone other than Chrom or MU die in a mission, it is treated as a loss of a piece in chess. It's nothing major unless they were a key part of your plan on which victory hinged on. You also may not feel as attached to them as you do in Classic because the value of "life" is lowered in this mode, seeing as you can march someone to their death without worrying much at all.

Basically, I found Casual to be a much-appreciated mode when playing on Lunatic, seeing as I hate grinding on the hardest difficulty settings seeing as it kills the purpose. Casual Lunatic makes the game play very differently from Classic Hard.
---
Exdeath: "Get the fruit juice!"
Sephiroth: "I bring you dis pear..."