A couple of questions about units in this game

#1Phampyx3Posted 5/18/2013 11:09:50 PM
Are there any units that I should be avoiding due to low stat growths/bad skills? Also, I'm assuming most if not all the female units will be able to have kids in this game. In that case, is it important to level the female units or does it really not matter too much in the end?
---
TvC UAS Phampy 0561-0788-8124
PSN ID: Phampy
#2MalcolmMasherPosted 5/18/2013 11:27:01 PM
Some units are worse than others, but there aren't any I would consider unusably bad. If you like a character, you'll be able to make something out of them. (Barring undue interference with the Random Number Generator, anyway.)

In order for female characters to have kids, they have to build a support up to rank S. And you generally build support ranks through combat. So the general rule would be, by the time you've unlocked a child character, their mother (and father) will be decently leveled. That said, the starting stats of a child character are partly based on the stats of their parents, so grinding won't exactly be wasted.
---
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.
#3vanguard29Posted 5/18/2013 11:27:09 PM
gen 1 females all have kids, except DLC women and tiki as well, chrom has a kid attachted to him, as does MU. morgan, the mu's child is the opposite gender of the MU. all gen 1 females and chrom have kids that are always the same, but you have a choice of morgans.

freddy, as a prepromote, starts with bad stats by comparison to where a promoted character should be. because of second seals, any and all characters can reach max stats, but the more you level, the less experience you gain, so it can be hard, but doable. so i cant really say any characters have bad stats/growth rates.

the stat levels of the parents only affect the starting stats of the child when recruited. if you have two very high stat parents, the child will have higher stats when recruited. regardless of stats, the parents' natural growth rates affect the kids, as well as max stat caps. max stat caps are decided by class, but each character has inherent caps that either increase or decrease the class' max. (e.i. if a class has 48 cap luck, and a character has a +4 luck mod, they can reach 52 luck before they cap in that class.) limit breaker (a dlc skill) increases all stat cap by an additional 10, just so you know.

each parent can pass down the last skill they have equipped, and skills are learned as you level, so that the the base stats of the child are affected by parent stats/skills. but, growth rates and caps are constat. you can have two level one parents, but the growth rates and caps will be the same as if they are total level 40.

that answer your questions? if you want to know about the math and stuff, google serenesforest.
---
"Be greater than all that's come before... But... Never be perfect." - Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Captian of Division 12.
#4DemiseEndPosted 5/18/2013 11:32:33 PM
There are no such thing as bad growth in this game

Even then Frederick has bad growth speed because of his exp gains

Even then again, Frederick is basically a free pair up fodder out of nowhere in HM which is really amazing since he is a Great Knight right from the start
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#5Phampyx3(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 11:33:38 PM
Hmm yeah that answers my question for the most part. An issue I've always had in the Fire Emblem games is that I'm always torn on which units to level and take into battles with me
---
TvC UAS Phampy 0561-0788-8124
PSN ID: Phampy
#6Emmy_AltavaPosted 5/18/2013 11:37:14 PM
You can use whatever units you want.

Every woman introduced between the beginning of the game and chapter 12, except for Anna, is capable of marrying a man introduced between the beginning of the game and chapter 13 for a child. Avatar can marry anyone of the opposite gender they want; Chrom is limited only to Sully, Sumia, Maribelle, Olivia, and the female Avatar (but, if they're all dead, married, or don't notice him, he can do the woohoo with a random village girl after a certain event.)
#7vanguard29Posted 5/18/2013 11:42:41 PM
Phampyx3 posted...
Hmm yeah that answers my question for the most part. An issue I've always had in the Fire Emblem games is that I'm always torn on which units to level and take into battles with me

yeah, there will be units to leave behind. endgame is like, 16 units? but, that add to the replay, starting over with new pairings in mind to affect the kids and the use of different units.
---
"Be greater than all that's come before... But... Never be perfect." - Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Captian of Division 12.
#8Czar_YoshiPosted 5/19/2013 12:01:43 AM
vanguard29 posted...
gen 1 females all have kids, except DLC women and tiki .

False, Anna, Say'ri and Flavia don't have children attached to them either.

vanguard29 posted...
Phampyx3 posted...

yeah, there will be units to leave behind. endgame is like, 16 units? but, that add to the replay, starting over with new pairings in mind to affect the kids and the use of different units.

The final boss lets you bring 16 units, but it still varies wildly (most risen fights let you use 9-12 units, some DLC (R&R3) lets you bring 20...). In general, the better a unit is right off the bat, the harder you'll have to work to make them useable late-game, and the weaker a unit is when you get them, the more rewarding they'll be if you can catch them up with the rest of your team.

In particular, the Seraph Robes (Max HP permanently +5) you get from paralogue 3 and cht.10 are really helpful with this. I'd recommend using them on someone like Donnel, Gaius, or Nowi, who come badly underleveled but with priceless growth rates/skills (Donnel has Aptitude which boosts his growth rates, Gaius has Locktouch which lets you open chests without keys, Nowi has very good HP and Def without sacrificing Mov). For Donnel, it makes the difference between having a massive ordeal at the start and having a little easier grinding, and for the other two it makes the difference between being useable right off the bat and needing grinding first.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
See how my mustache moves in the wind!
#9DemiseEndPosted 5/19/2013 12:06:25 AM
Angel Robes are obviously the best on Nowi

Bearclaw taught me that
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#10MilenninPosted 5/19/2013 1:16:40 AM
There's no true bad units since you can just grind them up to insane levels.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today