just got this game

#1steker16Posted 5/22/2013 7:50:52 PM
just picked up a 3ds and this game yesterday, im still really early into the game (like chapt 3 or maybe 4 the one where that girl first shows back up with the pegasus you found earlier) playing on hard classic mode. how serious is it to flat out lose characters in battle? is pretty much everyone that can die for good just flat out irrelevant to the story? or can i miss out on plot things if someone dies before a certain point?

the entire idea of characters being dead for good annoys me when it happens, but at the same time i feel like if i play on casual i wont be playing the game the way it was designed, so im trying to get a grasp on how big of a deal it really is
#2TaiphlosionPosted 5/22/2013 7:53:47 PM
The plot doesn't change, even if you let everyone but the avatar and chrom die. However, the character that are important to the story will retreat instead of dying. You won't be able to use them again either way.
---
"I've got nothing to give, got no reason to live. But I will fight to survive, I've got nothing to hide, wish I wasn't so shy"
#3BobrykPosted 5/22/2013 7:54:36 PM
You miss out on a few additional characters if any of the women die, which does affect the plot a bit.

If you're playing classic just reset the game when someone dies and start the chapter over. There aren't infinite amounts of characters (I'm not counting spotpass) to be recruited, so try to keep everybody alive.
#4I_eat_tablesPosted 5/22/2013 8:09:56 PM
Newcomer/Casual mode isn't really just a tack on, it's a legitimate mode in it's own right. Easier, yes, but still a proper mode which the game was designed for.

In general, characters that are plot critical will be seriously wounded - unable to fight again, but alive. Characters that aren't plot critical will die, and any of their lines will be either transferred or removed, when needed. I'd say that if people outside your core team (which you'll want to keep at most around 6 characters until about halfway through the game because things) die then don't worry too much. But if any of those main characters die, reset - the damage to your team will be too high.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#5WestbrickVIIPosted 5/22/2013 8:15:51 PM
I_eat_tables posted...
Newcomer/Casual mode isn't really just a tack on, it's a legitimate mode in it's own right. Easier, yes, but still a proper mode which the game was designed for.

How do you figure? The enemy stats and behavior are identical to Classic.