So... why do older FE fans despise this game? (possible spoilers)

#1Your_LordKingPosted 5/25/2013 2:50:22 PM
There weren't any plot holes, the dynamics of relationships were done extraordinarily well, and none of the characters were boring and dull. Which is surprising since usually there is one major character who ends-up annoying me.

The convoluted tactical stuff of previous games was pulled back. So the gameplay is more fun and engaging. Also, with a wide cast of characters that are mostly well-developed, I'd say they did an impressive job. The music was phenomenal too.

So what gives? >_>
#2WestbrickVIIPosted 5/25/2013 2:52:13 PM
There's a review section on this very site.
#3DemiseEndPosted 5/25/2013 2:54:15 PM
Map design is terrible open maps, which opens some stuff with it which is pretty okay, but lol map design outside Paralogue

Characters are broken. Never again we see a character who is overpowered in the same way as FE7 Marcus where they simply helped too much. No, now they soloed the game

Silly support convos is stupid, and it sterms from the quantity of the supports

And the least said about the story, the better
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#4Strawberry_EggsPosted 5/25/2013 3:09:22 PM(edited)
That's a bit of an over-generalization. I'm 26, have been playing the series for years, and I love Awakening.
---
My 25 Most Favorite Games - http://www.unikgamer.com/members/strawberryeggs-786.html
Official Nah of the Fire Emblem: Awakening board.
#5bottlegnomesPosted 5/25/2013 2:54:44 PM
There were plotholes.

Anyway, I'm not aware of most vets disliking this game. About the only people I'm actually aware of disliking this game are Westbrick and MJE who are both more interested in the tactical aspect than anything else. As for many of their issues with the story, those are entirely subjective so it's whatever, at least in WB's case. Not really sure about MJE's.
---
"You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't contacted us."
- Calvin
#6Is_CorruptedPosted 5/25/2013 2:56:53 PM(edited)
The gameplay is boring. Too much stuff was left out, you're just left with "pick a weapon and bash some enemies" that you can find in any other SRPG.

The characters aren't anything special. Some of them just annoy me (Miriel, Cordelia) and I can't be bothered looking up all their supports just to find something to redeem them. An interesting character should be interesting in all its supports.

But really I wouldn't mind the characters if the gameplay was solid.
---
Marcus is the answer for anything except "best unit who isn't Marcus," but even then he is a strong contender. - PokeAMon
#7azn_boy150Posted 5/25/2013 2:55:40 PM
WestbrickVII posted...
There's a review section on this very site.

Yeah, but who actually reads those things? Obviously only the scores matter, right?

Also, XBox One is a great name, the Internet is full of sophisticated and intelligent individuals, and 2+2=7.
---
Proud graduate from the University of Topic Derailing
"This is the one time I've ever lost an argument."-Westbrick, to me.
#8bottlegnomesPosted 5/25/2013 2:57:44 PM
Guess I stand corrected, at least about only WB and MJE disliking it.

That said, it's a lot different from a conventional FE, which is probably why.

But still, from my experience, more people like it than not, which includes vets of the series.
---
"You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't contacted us."
- Calvin
#9Rideps1Posted 5/25/2013 3:06:22 PM(edited)
Your_LordKing posted...
The convoluted tactical stuff of previous games was pulled back. So the gameplay is more fun and engaging.

This is a STRATEGY GAME. Convoluted tactical stuff is.. Kind of the point.

I mean, it's still a good game. But it barely feels like Fire Emblem.
---
Possibly the Kellam of the FE:A boards. But no one notices enough to make it official...
Saxon/Palazzo, 2016.
#10papita69xxxPosted 5/25/2013 3:08:11 PM
Critiquing something isn´t the same as disliking it. I am pretty certain than despite the flaws some people mention they still like the game otherwise they wouldn´t hang arround on this board just to bash it