So... why do older FE fans despise this game? (possible spoilers)

#241Your_LordKing(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 11:30:16 PM
Firestar0513 posted...
Your_LordKing posted...
Firestar0513 posted...
Your_LordKing posted...
Walhart believed in subjugating foreign territories and dominating them to expand the power of the nation-state. That's much more sane than some maniac who went on doing purges and who tortured his own family.

Poor Soren... :(

Their actions and mental state were different, but their overall philosophy about how ruling and life in general should be were extremely similar. Basically, they believed in power over everything.

Well, most conquering leaders do that. I think you're generalizing them both too much. Ashnard was a psychotic nutcase. Walhart knew what steps were needed to be taken. It's just that Chrom and MU were better at it and weren't acting out of self-interest but as a political unity campaign.

I think Walhart is more or less different enough for those reasons. They may have the same philosophy but with Ashnard... it felt like he was just deluding himself. Walhart had a history of being oppressed by other nations and since he felt that's what life entailed that he would be the best player among nation-states. It was just his backstory but it makes perfect sense when you look at history. It's based off Japan's own historic legacy.

It is rather general, however they both specifically state their belief to be that. And I wouldn't really say he was deluding himself. He never showed any signs of that, and even from his backstory he seemed pure evil for the most part. Dhginsea or Lehran are probably a better example of antagonists deluding themselves, and even in their battle conversations they show their doubts to their cause and brush off their lost arguments with battle, while Ashnard just likes to kill people...and be strong and stuff.

Yeah, but with Ashnard it feels more like a backdrop of his insanity. With Walhart, it's presented as more of what he believes a nation-state should be. This is actually a pretty accurate depiction of what most nations think even today. International politics is seen as 'chaotic' and there is a huge mentality of 'every man for himself'. It's why Rome, the Ottomans, the Byzantine, the British, and Japan all grew into empires. America happens to be the current powerhouse today but it's slowly slipping in power and people think either China or India will eclipse America within 100 years.
#242Firestar0513Posted 5/25/2013 11:30:36 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66286908?page=1
So after reading his last post, I think it is safe to say that whatever shred of credibility katella had was just violently ripped away and cast into hell.
#243katellaPosted 5/25/2013 11:31:21 PM
As said before, an option to grind is not a strategy, its childs play requiring no thinking in contrary to using the elements in the game to gain the advantage over the enemy. It is you who are completely missing the point on purpose over-and-over thinking its me when its not. I clearly understand your points and the only thing that you can come up with is "nostalgia" and "veteran" while overlooking the games flaws in strategy to begin with. FE is a strategy series, is grinding a strategy? No. Its been casualized to the point where it sucks. Just like the FF series where everyone hates FF13 because it was led astray of its predecessors and people cry about nostalgia and how its not "FF7" when thats not the point to begin with.

I dont expect anything from the game but quality, doesnt matter if the game is different. This game lacks the quality of its predecessors which its supposed to be designed to follow. You use the common excuse of veteranism and nostalgia just like they do on FF boards to try to negate this and its not working at all. Im not complaining about anything, im simply stating the facts of what the game lacks in and fanboys cry and point fingers that im a troll, a veteran, nostalgia freak, etc when its not the case at all, youre just living in ignorance to the fact that this game has strayed from what FE has always been about and thats what is most important.

Hope you didnt lose to many brain cells brainstorming more excuses.

Your_LordKing posted...
No, you're just very opinionated and you think anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, as I specified beforehand and you have so graciously proven for me without fail as I expected.

Dont be a sore loser. :3
---
On GameFaqs boards, Alt + F4 is your bestest friend. ^_^
-Inigo's waifu
#244bottlegnomesPosted 5/25/2013 11:35:01 PM(edited)
WestbrickVII posted...
This is just totally wrong. Reliably getting Kent up to 20/20 on HHM by constantly resetting until a low wager comes up takes hours; grinding any Awakening character up to 20/20 takes minutes. You seem to be underestimating the mash-start function, which is the main reason the entire Awakening campaign can be completed in forty minutes.

It didn't take me that long when I used to do it. Don't know what else to say.

And this whole options versus no-options debate is a little silly. The main issue is that people who are good at Fire Emblem won't be able to get any real challenge unless they limit themselves, which is stupid.

What's wrong with options? You're limiting yourself by not arena abusing. When doing rank, you're limiting yourself by saying you have to complete the game while meeting those criteria. Now if you want some dev implemented limiting factors, like the turns spent grinding contribute towards tactics rank, then that's a different argument, one I'm completely fine with.
---
"You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't contacted us."
- Calvin
#245katellaPosted 5/25/2013 11:33:34 PM
Firestar0513 posted...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66286908?page=1
So after reading his last post, I think it is safe to say that whatever shred of credibility katella had was just violently ripped away and cast into hell.

At this point, it seems youre really desperate. Hate me all you want, it wont change the truth that you refuse to believe. Try harder and maybe one day youll give a good, entertaining argument. Its boring at this point because now were just facing your denial of the facts.
---
-Inigo's waifu
#246azn_boy150Posted 5/25/2013 11:34:06 PM(edited)
WestbrickVII posted...

Hmm...I have a theory that Westbrick is just disagreeing with anything thrown at him. Let's test this out.

Hey, Westbrick. I think 4+4=8. What do you think?
---
Proud graduate from the University of Topic Derailing
"This is the one time I've ever lost an argument."-Westbrick, to me.
#247Your_LordKing(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 11:35:49 PM
azn_boy150 posted...
WestbrickVII posted...

Hmm...I have a theory that Westbrick is just disagreeing with anything thrown at him. Let's test this out.

Why did this make me laugh so much....

Props. Although, I think you should explain why you feel that way so he takes less offense. xD
#248azn_boy150Posted 5/25/2013 11:37:59 PM
Your_LordKing posted...
azn_boy150 posted...
WestbrickVII posted...

Props. Although, I think you should explain why you feel that way so he takes less offense. xD

Don't worry, he's not gonna take any offense. For one, he and I are on good terms and we are well aware when the other is just trying to take the piss out of the other. Second, he's not gonna be offended by some guy on the Internet and his snide comments.
---
Proud graduate from the University of Topic Derailing
"This is the one time I've ever lost an argument."-Westbrick, to me.
#249katellaPosted 5/25/2013 11:39:26 PM
Your_LordKing posted...
azn_boy150 posted...
WestbrickVII posted...

And yet he always wins. 4+4 = 8.0 not 8

8 is too generalized, it could be 8.01 or 8.001 rounded to 8

You need to include details.
---
-Inigo's waifu
#250WestbrickVIIPosted 5/25/2013 11:39:27 PM
bottlegnomes posted...
It didn't take me that long when I used to do it. Don't know what else to say.

This one isn't a matter of opinion. Unlike Awakening, arena animations are always on; a sub-700 wager comes up a small fraction of the time, and soft resetting means sitting through about ten seconds to start the file back up. Given that a player will typically need to reset 5-10 times before getting sub-700, that's anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute just to get a battle, at which point you need to gain ~30 levels with reduced Hard Mode experience gains.

It takes ages, and a critical hit could ruin you at any time -- and this is all for just one character.

Now if you want some dev implemented limiting factors, like the turns spent grinding contribute towards tactics rank, then that's a different argument, one I'm completely fine with.

This is what I'm saying.