What kind of game is this, exactly?

#1LaManoNeraIIPosted 6/11/2013 6:39:26 PM
I got my first 3DS XL today a long with Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Land, and Mario Kart. But I see that everyone is raving about this game and it's one of the highest rated on the 3DS.

Watching some YouTube vids it looks a lot like Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics. Is that a good comparison? Never played a Fire Emblem game but I loved the **** out of Tactics Ogre/FF Tactics, especially all the different handheld versions. Also, does the game make good use of the 3D? Or just look good in general?

I want a nice meaty RPG to go with my arsenal of new Mario games but the Shin Megami or whatever games don't really appeal to me and I'm having a very hard time getting over the no online for Monster Hunter (seriously, what the hell is your problem?!). I think I'd get bored quick of it playing by myself. So that leaves this which like I said looks like a Tactics Ogre kinda thing.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#2Stormvale12Posted 6/11/2013 6:40:38 PM
It's an RPG/Strategy hybrid. I've never played FFT, so I can't make that comparison.
---
White 2 FC: 1679 3141 2693
#3Airship_CanonPosted 6/11/2013 6:41:51 PM(edited)
Yeah, it's an SRPG similar to FF Tactics.
There is (or should be) a demo in the Eshop. Try it out.

Either way, flee this board. You don't want to be here-- we're all a bit too crazy.
---
Brought to you in part by noise. For when you want to hear things, but dont want to be bothered with knowing what it is you are hearing.
#4katellaPosted 6/11/2013 6:42:52 PM
The game isn't that great, honestly. If you're looking for strategy, you'd be better off with even Pokemon.
---
On GameFaqs boards, Alt + F4 is your bestest friend. ^_^
~FE7's Official Waifu~
#5Strawberry_EggsPosted 6/11/2013 6:43:09 PM
It's somewhat, though not quite similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. It is part of the same sub-genre, so I imagine you'd like Fire Emblem if you like those games.
---
Why do all of these megalomaniac dictators, secret societies, mad scientists, and totalitarian aliens want to rule the world? I mean, really?
#6LuminozeroPosted 6/11/2013 6:43:18 PM
The series in general is an SRPG, much like Tactics Ogre. This one gets some flack for not having as many of the 'strategic' elements of it, but that mostly comes from people who grind out the most broken setups and then complain about how no strategy is required.

I won't deny that the game feels less 'involved' in the strategy aspects then others in the series, but that by no means makes it a bad game. The characters are fleshed out and feel real, the music is some of the best I have heard in years:

EG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZICPJCl5iQ

And in general it is a very fun game that will serve you well. If you'd like, there is a free Demo on the 3DS shop. Try that and see if you like it.

My final vote would be yes, I would recommend it.
---
An opinion requires two things: Knowledge and Experience. Most Internet users have neither.
#7ArcherRhysPosted 6/11/2013 6:45:01 PM
katella posted...
The game isn't that great, honestly. If you're looking for strategy, you'd be better off with even Pokemon.

*gasp* how dare you compare FE to that lame **** of a game POKEMON! You sir are truly crazy.
---
I'm..so...very....hungry....(Ilyanna PoR)
#8katellaPosted 6/11/2013 6:47:15 PM
ArcherRhys posted...
katella posted...

*gasp* how dare you compare FE to that lame **** of a game POKEMON! You sir are truly crazy.

There is no strategy in this game whatsoever. Pokemon has much more diversity, versatility, and quality. Pokemon is an RPG. This game is supposedly an SRPG, but it's not one however the series is. So they assume it is a strategy game. My comparison is justified.
---
On GameFaqs boards, Alt + F4 is your bestest friend. ^_^
~FE7's Official Waifu~
#9GoldenPower89Posted 6/11/2013 6:48:13 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
I'm having a very hard time getting over the no online for Monster Hunter (seriously, what the hell is your problem?!).

Exactly the reason I chose this over Monster Hunter. Awakening isn't quite as good as previous FE games, but it's a good substitute for Monster Hunter.
---
"Owain! You must allow me to open that miraculous head of yours! FOR SCIENCE!" - Laurent
#10bellagio23Posted 6/11/2013 6:50:08 PM
ArcherRhys posted...
katella posted...

Pokemon sucks a 2 year old can beat those games.
---
Users that don't know what the word "troll" means.
delarosa1101, palazzio65, morganvonveb.