Why do people say that Chrom x Sumia is canon?

#617lightsXIIIPosted 6/23/2013 12:41:59 PM
Rayukun posted...
shadowofchaos72 posted...
Male Avatar x Chrom is obviously more canon than everyone's pairings. Obviously.

This. Also Chrom x RVG. Even if you prevent every other pairing, this is the one you can't do anything about.

No. Chrom X Frederick is canon. Avatar has never reached the bro level of Freddy.
---
...In a Sexual way...
Chrom, Lucina, Shulk, Megaman, Toon Zelda for SSB4
#627lightsXIIIPosted 6/23/2013 12:45:58 PM
Summonearth posted...
Most people in the West don't like canon and how Sumia portrayed as "girly/meek/submissive," thinking that the best girls are those who are more tomboyish, kickass and those who break out out of their feminine qualities pretty much. (Even though Olivia is way more meek, submissive and girly alongside downright shy and yet ChromxOlivia is more popular than ChromxSumia, what big hypocrites I would say.)
Some things said on tv tropes sum it up nicely:
"The Chrom/Sumia ship is pretty much universally accepted as the game's Official Couple in Japan. In the west it's something of a Base Breaker. (Although in forums Sumia gets A LOT of heat, she ranked as the first marriage option for Chrom in the official poll.) This is most likely due to Values Dissonance concerning Romance Sidequests in Japan and the West: Japanese players prefer one Official Couple integrated into the storyline, while westerners prefer freedom of choice. (And thus dislike Chrom/Sumia simply because it's more canon than others)
Alternatively, Chrom/Sumia may be less popular in the the West because the meek, submissive Sumia is seen as a less ideal female character in the West compared to Japan. Her pie-filled supports with Chrom in the English localisation don't help because of the unfortunate implications they carry for some (this aspect of their relationship wasn't focused on ''nearly'' as much in the original script). Many Western female gamers have cited their appreciation of more assertive, independent female characters as their reason for preferring other Chrom pairings over Chrom/Sumia, including Chrom/Female Avatar and Chrom/Sully (who is MUCH more popular in North America than in Japan)... The hate for Chrom/Sumia in the west was so bad the Eurpoean version actually changed the name of one of the cutscenes featuring them from "Lovebirds" to "The Rescue". (Doesn't really change the fact that they are still shipping them in the cutscene).
The Flanderization of Sumia in the English localization hits its worst in her supports with Chrom. She basically wins him over by baking him pies over and over, while in the Japanese text, she only prepares him a bento in the B Rank and the topic is mostly never brought up again afterwards. Needless to say, the implications aren't pretty for a lot of people.
Which also does not say a lot of good things about those who CRUCIFY poor Sumia for it either, as it gives the impression that said fans believe a woman is ONLY good when she doesn't do anything seen as archetypically feminine. And considering how several of these Sumia haters support Chrom with other women aside of her, and how they seem to think these women are "worthier" of him for being "stronger", the REAL intentions behind their Sumia hate tend to be... obvious
Also, lots of the people who throw tantrums at Sumia "reinforcing gender stereotypes" in regards to her supports with Chrom... are actually reinforcing OTHER harmful gender stereotypes as well: that "manly" or "tomboyish" women are "better" than the rest whereas any display of shyness and/or femininity is to be condemned and censored, thus going by the "masculine is good, feminine is bad, only women who fight/act like stereotypical men are good" deals. And that's not harmful for gender roles and/or feminism, not at all..."

So you're saying that Chrom X Sumia is a victim of the "Americans Hate Tingle" trope.
---
...In a Sexual way...
Chrom, Lucina, Shulk, Megaman, Toon Zelda for SSB4
#63DemiseEndPosted 6/23/2013 12:47:01 PM
Its pretty well liked in Japan

From what I've heard at least
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#64CaptainKatsuraPosted 6/23/2013 2:22:12 PM
I like ChromxSumia because it amused me when Sumia punched Chrom right in the face,especially since I had them married at the time.Domestic violence is best violence.
---
Herp-a derp
#65DarkRPGMasterPosted 6/24/2013 7:54:03 PM
To be honest, I can never marry Chrom to Sumia, mostly because Sumia as a unit sucks horribly. I do not wish those stats upon Lucina, and Galeforce isn't worth the pain you encounter just leveling up Sumia as a Dark Flier. Besides, Chrom x Mary (the female avatar) now and forever.
---
If being open to things is a crime, then I deserve the death penalty.
Warning, overactive imagination, will come up with crazy ideas at a moment's notice.
#66SummonearthPosted 6/24/2013 8:13:44 PM
7lightsXIII posted...
Summonearth posted...
Most people in the West don't like canon and how Sumia portrayed as "girly/meek/submissive," thinking that the best girls are those who are more tomboyish, kickass and those who break out out of their feminine qualities pretty much. (Even though Olivia is way more meek, submissive and girly alongside downright shy and yet ChromxOlivia is more popular than ChromxSumia, what big hypocrites I would say.)
Some things said on tv tropes sum it up nicely:
"The Chrom/Sumia ship is pretty much universally accepted as the game's Official Couple in Japan. In the west it's something of a Base Breaker. (Although in forums Sumia gets A LOT of heat, she ranked as the first marriage option for Chrom in the official poll.) This is most likely due to Values Dissonance concerning Romance Sidequests in Japan and the West: Japanese players prefer one Official Couple integrated into the storyline, while westerners prefer freedom of choice. (And thus dislike Chrom/Sumia simply because it's more canon than others)
Alternatively, Chrom/Sumia may be less popular in the the West because the meek, submissive Sumia is seen as a less ideal female character in the West compared to Japan. Her pie-filled supports with Chrom in the English localisation don't help because of the unfortunate implications they carry for some (this aspect of their relationship wasn't focused on ''nearly'' as much in the original script). Many Western female gamers have cited their appreciation of more assertive, independent female characters as their reason for preferring other Chrom pairings over Chrom/Sumia, including Chrom/Female Avatar and Chrom/Sully (who is MUCH more popular in North America than in Japan)... The hate for Chrom/Sumia in the west was so bad the Eurpoean version actually changed the name of one of the cutscenes featuring them from "Lovebirds" to "The Rescue". (Doesn't really change the fact that they are still shipping them in the cutscene).
The Flanderization of Sumia in the English localization hits its worst in her supports with Chrom. She basically wins him over by baking him pies over and over, while in the Japanese text, she only prepares him a bento in the B Rank and the topic is mostly never brought up again afterwards. Needless to say, the implications aren't pretty for a lot of people.
Which also does not say a lot of good things about those who CRUCIFY poor Sumia for it either, as it gives the impression that said fans believe a woman is ONLY good when she doesn't do anything seen as archetypically feminine. And considering how several of these Sumia haters support Chrom with other women aside of her, and how they seem to think these women are "worthier" of him for being "stronger", the REAL intentions behind their Sumia hate tend to be... obvious
Also, lots of the people who throw tantrums at Sumia "reinforcing gender stereotypes" in regards to her supports with Chrom... are actually reinforcing OTHER harmful gender stereotypes as well: that "manly" or "tomboyish" women are "better" than the rest whereas any display of shyness and/or femininity is to be condemned and censored, thus going by the "masculine is good, feminine is bad, only women who fight/act like stereotypical men are good" deals. And that's not harmful for gender roles and/or feminism, not at all..."

So you're saying that Chrom X Sumia is a victim of the "Americans Hate Tingle" trope.

It is more of a victim of different values and norms between cultures.
---
"I will speak my mind and say what I want and if you don't like it, well too bad!" "And my Pikachu pillow says hi"