New to Fire Emblem, and not clear on some things...

#1Big D2Posted 6/19/2013 8:26:36 PM
This is the first Fire Emblem game I've ever played, and I'm constantly losing units, because I'm still not clear on how healing works in this game.

I know pairing up is a must, but when I pair up with someone who has healing powers, I can't seem to use those powers without making the healer the lead in the pair, which often leads to a 1-hit kill from the enemy. Also, I know there's an item some characters have (It starts with a V, and I can never remember its full name), but i can't seem to find or buy enough of them.

I know I'm doing something wrong here, but I can't figure it out because I'm still a novice to this series. How do you keep yourself from losing units so frequently?
#2empireoffirePosted 6/19/2013 8:30:01 PM
Press X. See those dark red areas? That signifies the enemy's attack ranges.

You see your healer? Get them away from those areas.
---
size does not matter....weight does.
other aliases: gamefreak043, Cyborg-Kangaroo, Joe The Smurf
#3Big D2(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 8:33:59 PM
OK. Though, how am I supposed to heal my comrades if I can't get close enough to them? If I get out of the range of the attackers, then won't that leave my tanks without support?
#4GoldenPower89Posted 6/19/2013 8:38:17 PM(edited)
Press X to see the enemy's attack range a.k.a. "danger zone". Keep healers out of the danger zone at all times. If you must heal someone and you're worried your healer will get hit if he/she moves in to heal, move the injured unit back a few spaces so your healer doesn't have to take a hit.
Also, the "v" item is called vulnerary. You can buy it pretty early. There are more powerful versions of vulnerary to look out for, concoction and elixir.
---
"Owain! You must allow me to open that miraculous head of yours! FOR SCIENCE!" - Laurent
#5Haseo254Posted 6/19/2013 8:38:15 PM
Well I used to pair up my healers with my FeMU for mods and such but later on i kept them in the back behind a blockade of my other units so that enemies couldn't get by and i just had those healers keep the others alive till they were lvl 10 and i second classed them into a sage, war monk/cleric, etc. and did EXPonential growth until they could hold their own with a support. Aaand thats why Lissa is one my strongest units.
---
"What did you say? A Horse Weiner? Now that's dangerous! Guys don't let your guard down!"
XboxLive Gamertag: R0aring TenGu
#6Primum_MobilePosted 6/19/2013 8:45:13 PM
healer is one of those unit you don't want paired up unless there are no safe place for them to hide from enemy. If they are paired up, their partner can't attack while the healer heal, and vice versa.

given how frail healers are, they can only heal their comrades when the coast is cleared. Until then, the "tanks" will how to make do w/ healing item like vulnerary. You can buy those later on. Eventually you can get staff that can heal over a distance as well.
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)
#7Big D2(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 8:45:30 PM
Should I be pairing up my healers with anyone at all? I know I need to keep them healthy, but I can't ignore the need to build their exp either.
#8GoldenPower89Posted 6/19/2013 8:51:10 PM
Big D2 posted...
Should I be pairing up my healers with anyone at all? I know I need to keep them healthy, but I can't ignore the need to build their exp either.

I rarely pair up my healers. As long as you keep them out of the danger zone, it's unnecessary to pair them up unless their pair-up partner is giving them a magic bonus.
---
"Owain! You must allow me to open that miraculous head of yours! FOR SCIENCE!" - Laurent
#9Haseo254Posted 6/19/2013 8:59:22 PM
Big D2 posted...

I really only paired with healers to give them a better chance of dodging attacks later on and such. Also for marriage reasons but thats more of a pleasure for me than necessity, then again im not the kind of FE player you should model after, I usually end up rushing and missing small details mess me up.
---
"What did you say? A Horse Weiner? Now that's dangerous! Guys don't let your guard down!"
XboxLive Gamertag: R0aring TenGu
#10Big D2(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 12:22:03 PM
OK, there's one other thing I'm having trouble with...I can keep my healers out of attack range, but then I get into trouble when enemy reinforcements come in, usually from behind. When I try to move my healers, I can't get them out of the attack range of the reinforcements, and they instantly move in for a 1 hit kill.

How do you combat this situation?