ITT: We list the problems with Grima and Valm as antagonists. (Spoilers)

#1AphophPosted 6/21/2013 8:39:20 AM
I'll start with Grima!Avatar:

1. Doesn't do that much during the Valm arc. Really, he shows up, then Chrom and Co. run off of to Valm, leaving him to do what?
#2qwertyman2002Posted 6/21/2013 8:44:54 AM
2. Everything
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/qwertyman/caterpie.gif
Hey look, it's qwertyman2002, let's read his posts!
#3DemiseEndPosted 6/21/2013 8:48:37 AM(edited)
3. Valm look downright heroic in comparison during the atrocity that is Chapter 14
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#4Strawberry_EggsPosted 6/21/2013 8:51:29 AM
4. The Valm arc felt largely shoehorned in.
---
The sound flows, follows till they're home; Dragged by the power of dreams
That power is yet unknown
#5juanyiyiPosted 6/21/2013 8:58:07 AM
5. CH.13 introduces Avatar!Grima. aaaaaaand it's gone! Until chapter 23.
---
FE7 Circlejerk Go!
#6Emperor_mateusPosted 6/21/2013 9:56:28 AM
The problem with Valm was that the entire arc could be removed and the plot would be no different. Walhart also working towards stopping Grima makes it a pretty pointless war too.

I actually didn't have a problem with Grima. A bit bland but he was a nice callback to FE4.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#7Im_MedeusPosted 6/21/2013 10:27:15 AM
They're not as developed as either me/Loptyr and Gharnef/Manfloy and fail exactly where we failed as villains, but worse.

They lack everything that makes an interesting villain, they have little-to-no backstory to explain why they are or how they came to persue their motives, are not successful at all in the main game (they are in the alternate timeline, but we see so little of that outside of DLC and even then Grima still fails spectacularly), the effects of their actions are never felt by the protagonists throughout the main storyline and are just bland, bland, bland.

Really, all they have going for them (or rather, Grima) is design and the battle theme.
#8Emperor_mateusPosted 6/23/2013 2:54:10 AM
I actually think the villains in awakening are at least more developed then Gharnef though that's no grand achievement.

Gharnef was the first of his archetype in fire emblem but that's all he had going for him. I can't think of any FE villain of his archetype that hadn't surpassed him as a villain the moment they showed up. I suppose its because Gharnef only appears twice in shadow dragon and its sequel with most of his actions happening off screen.

Gharnef's successor in this game, Validar is a pretty lousy villain. Incredible bland and not very effective but at least him being somewhat of a screwup adds a tiny bit of personality that Gharnef lacks.

I agree people that Validar may be one of the lamest fire emblem baddies so far but I believe he has a bit more to him then Gharnef, if only barely.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#9DemiseEndPosted 6/23/2013 2:56:53 AM
Gharnef has MORE explanation and background than Validar ever have

Thats how terrible Validar really is, as a villain
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#10Emperor_mateusPosted 6/23/2013 3:15:43 AM
DemiseEnd posted...
Gharnef has MORE explanation and background than Validar ever have

Thats how terrible Validar really is, as a villain

He has more background, yes but that's the problem. Everything about Gharnef is just background. The guy never does anything memorable or even noteworthy when he bothers to appear. Well...he did one thing that made me think he was a competent villain, one scene in a remake 10 years after his original appearance.

I'm not going to argue about Validar being a terrible villain because I completely agree. I just think he has slightly more personality them Gharnef.
---