Need help deciding on purchase

#1RuePosted 6/27/2013 4:52:59 AM
I was wondering if you guys and girls can help me. I'm trying to decided whether or not I want to buy this game. It looks like something I might like but before I drop $40 on it I just want to be sure.

I'll start by saying I'm a huge SRW fan, my favorite being SRW Impact. I haven't played those games since The A remake on PSP but I had tons of fun with them when I did. I only ever played a Fire Emblem game on the GBA with the girl who had green hair (I don't remember much). I remember liking it but I'm not sure what made me put it down since I didn't get very far.

The things I'm interested in is the gameplay and story/character relationships etc. I also like that there is a Casual option so I don't have to be too OCD about losing out on things or constantly reloading a hard fight because I screwed up early on. I do have a question about the story in this game though. Having not played any of the games aside from a bit of the GBA one, am I going to miss out on certain references or easter eggs? I just want to make sure I'm not lost a bit on certain things if this game connects to other's in the series.

I need to emphasize how I am about some games. I'm one of those people who wants to have that "near-perfect save" at the end of the game. For example, in Xenoblade Chronicles which I'm playing right now, I found out there are items that get locked out later in the game that are needed for a sidequest (I think Colony 6 stuff?) so I've been checking all kinds of guides to make sure I don't miss any of them and screw myself out of being able to finish the quest. At the same time, if a game is set up so that it is impossible to experience everything in one go, a.k.a. choices that affect the story, I'm 100% ok with that. Being this way, is this particular Fire Emblem a good fit for me?

I also have some questions about the difficulty. Is there anything lost by choosing Casual/Normal modes? Basically, is there any incentive to choose the harder difficulties aside from the challenge/loyalty to the older games? I just wonder because as I said above, Casual mode sounds awesome for me but at the same time I'll be bummed if playing in that mode means I get locked out of certain features/story/characters/etc.

Sorry to go on so long but I've been watching video reviews (IGN and CGRUndertow) and this game looks amazing but I just want to make sure it's something that would fit my play-style (and crazy OCD tendencies). Any and all opinions you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
---
Hee Ho!
#2Master_GamerPosted 6/27/2013 5:12:55 AM
Umm, no offense, but have you played the game? The free demo's on the E-Shop, so you can start from there, since you can play the first two levels on Normal/Hard/Lunatic.
---
http://youtu.be/n5Drq_YW0Gs http://youtu.be/dK-Z0Ts-jVc
Mega Man rocks.
#3Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 5:25:39 AM
I looked for the demo last night but it wasn't there? I'm in NA if that matters.
---
Hee Ho!
#4Aveyn_KnightPosted 6/27/2013 5:27:02 AM
The recent system update sadly broke the demo in North America.
---
Fire Emblem information here:
http://serenesforest.net/
#5Rue(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2013 7:15:44 AM
Bump
---
Hee Ho!
#6PrinceChickadeePosted 6/27/2013 7:18:07 AM
Rue posted...
Bump

You should get this game but be aware unless you choose hair color 16 and marry Lissa you will be cheated out of the best character in the game
---
Official husband of Ariasplash.
https://www.facebook.com/RainbowHairedOwain
#7juanyiyiPosted 6/27/2013 7:20:11 AM
DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES.
---
FE7 Circlejerk Go!
#8CrunchSlamchestPosted 6/27/2013 7:21:16 AM
Don't buy this if you're expecting gameplay comparable to SRW. This game is pitifully easy for the main game, and turns into a grindfest to prepare yourself for the postgame DLC. The difficulty options are poorly designed with the highest difficulty being more luck-based than skill-based.
---
http://i.imgur.com/1aW2iRC.gif
#9Bronze_StuffPosted 6/27/2013 7:25:42 AM
Eh, there are references in the weapons with names like "Eirika's blade" and stuff like that, but it's really not important to the story at all.

Classic does not offer anything that Casual does not except for a lack of saves and death being permanent, which really isn't making the game better so to speak.

If you're here for the story, this game is not for you, as the story is fairly bad. The characters are... Pretty hit-or-miss. Most of them just have this quirk that they have, and there really isn't much to them. Some of them like Kellam for instance pretty much have this quirk that takes up all of their character and there really isn't much else to them, while other characters like Ricken don't so they aren't so limited in their support conversations (which is annoying because Ricken is a borderline god awful unit).

Also, I don't believe that there is anything able to be missed outside of dialogue branches for making a different choice here or there. But none of them are really significant.

My biggest problem with this game is that it's more of a RPG than a SRPG, so if you're a fan of SRW, you may have a hard time getting into this. The harder modes only exacerbate exactly what I'm saying. They become progressively more RPG with the game throwing more and more overpowered units to the point that several units are borderline unusable because they didn't adjust their stats to FIT with the game's "difficulty." I put that in the looses terms, because the game isn't hard, it's just horribly imbalanced... To the point that I'd say it's one of the worst balanced Fire Emblem's in the series.
---
Jimbo.
#10Strawberry_EggsPosted 6/27/2013 7:32:45 AM
It's connects to other games in a sense, but not in a significant way that the story is hard to follow. Awakening does take place in the same universe as several previous games, but the story itself is independent and easy to follow without having played them. There are some references, like to Marth, the main character from the first and third game (as well as their DS remakes), but it's not imperative that you know much about him. They refer to him as the Hero-King Marth that's really all you need to know to follow the story. There are Easter Eggs, like various weapons and items that are named after characters as well as being able to download additional characters from the previous games via SpotPass. These characters don't have personalities or any role in the story, though.

I'd say this game would fit your play style well. There is getting every one of the characters, going through their classes to get skills that you want, and viewing Support conversations. On later playthroughs, you can look up good ways to "optimize" characters and make them very strong. There are even slight changes to the story depending on the gender of your Avatar character and if you choose to have him/her marry a certain characters (for the female, marry Chrom; for the male, marry a spoiler character that joins in chapter 13).

Its mostly only for the challenge. You can unlock the ridiculous Lunatic+ difficulty by beating Lunatic, though that's about it.
---
"I bought a ward against [logic] off a traveling fortune-teller. It lets me add two 'n' two and get a pickle."