Why is IS so bad at balance?

#41WestbrickVIIPosted 6/28/2013 11:55:33 AM
Isabella completely outclasses Will and Gage, so she and Caulder (for obvious reasons) are definitely OP. That leaves the player with ten well-balanced COs, which is extremely solid as far as competitive balance goes.
#42Hawke0Posted 6/28/2013 12:30:57 PM
Her D2D bonuses aren't that great though, so 'completely outclasses' is a bit much. Also, Greyfield is useless, so that leaves nine balanced COs, 75% of the roster.

Which is still great.
---
The popularity of Metal Gear Rising on the Conduit 2 board is second only to it's popularity on the MGR board.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0
#43WestbrickVIIPosted 6/28/2013 1:36:26 PM
Isabella's D2D is solid enough to keep her about even with the opponent until she gets to fire off her absurd CO Power.

Greyfield being "useless" is a product of the small DoR community arbitrarily deciding naval maps aren't interesting enough for proper competition. Which is a silly thing to count against him. On naval maps, he's quite good.
#44MagnemightPosted 6/28/2013 2:15:24 PM
WestbrickVII posted...
Isabella's D2D is solid enough to keep her about even with the opponent until she gets to fire off her absurd CO Power.

Greyfield being "useless" is a product of the small DoR community arbitrarily deciding naval maps aren't interesting enough for proper competition. Which is a silly thing to count against him. On naval maps, he's quite good.

His theme is also somewhat unique, which makes him worth using when playing Versus Mode as War Room 0.5

And it is rather odd that the DoR community doesn't approve of naval maps. The improvements to naval combat are the only thing I'd like the next iteration of AW to keep from DoR...
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#45Hawke0Posted 6/29/2013 8:52:28 AM(edited)
AWDoR is a huge improvement in just about every area. The CO mechanics are much better, and nothing is broken - unlike everything that DS added. There is no area where the old games were objectively better. DoR was ten steps forward and a leap sideways. I once wrote a review, so you can consider this my argument.
http://origin-www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/edward_roivas_blog/archive/2013/06/04/advance-wars-days-of-ruin-review-war-advance-wars-that-is-has-changed.aspx

WestbrickVII posted...

Fair enough. They also said there was only two kinds of naval map (doughnut maps and island maps), when there's three. Having lot of small islands connected with bridges, which allows naval units to interact with ground units pretty well.
---
The popularity of Metal Gear Rising on the Conduit 2 board is second only to it's popularity on the MGR board.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0
#46banjo kazooiePosted 6/29/2013 9:17:13 AM
smash fanatic posted...
IS is just lazy though. Considering lunatic+ was not playtested, who knows how much they actually playtest their FE games (and what they look for).

There's a fine line between "Most of our team was unable to beat it." and "We made it so hard nobody in our team could beat it.". The former is Lunatic+, and the latter is Diablo 3 Inferno.
---
That's strange because reading it gave me Shonen level powers, a spiked hair cut, and Lupus. - SwordMasterEX
#47Hawke0Posted 6/30/2013 5:39:35 AM
D3 Inferno was easy.
---
#48banjo kazooiePosted 6/30/2013 5:43:46 AM
Hawke0 posted...
D3 Inferno was easy.

I bet you only played it after it was nerfed into oblivion.
---
That's strange because reading it gave me Shonen level powers, a spiked hair cut, and Lupus. - SwordMasterEX
#49Bronze_StuffPosted 6/30/2013 5:46:59 AM
banjo kazooie posted...
smash fanatic posted...
IS is just lazy though. Considering lunatic+ was not playtested, who knows how much they actually playtest their FE games (and what they look for).

There's a fine line between "Most of our team was unable to beat it." and "We made it so hard nobody in our team could beat it.". The former is Lunatic+, and the latter is Diablo 3 Inferno.

Except D3 Inferno wasn't THAT bad. It was just people getting upset that you know, they weren't winning immediately. And that's how it is nowadays. If you don't win immediately, it's not because you suck, it's because the game is "poorly designed."

Lunatic+ on the other hand, is poorly designed because even when you win, it's to the point that even if you restarted the map and did the exact same moves you might lose.
---
Jimbo.
#50banjo kazooiePosted 6/30/2013 6:47:05 AM(edited)
Bronze_Stuff posted...
banjo kazooie posted...
smash fanatic posted...

Except D3 Inferno wasn't THAT bad. It was just people getting upset that you know, they weren't winning immediately. And that's how it is nowadays. If you don't win immediately, it's not because you suck, it's because the game is "poorly designed."

Lunatic+ on the other hand, is poorly designed because even when you win, it's to the point that even if you restarted the map and did the exact same moves you might lose.

In act 3, there were enemies who could use their tongues to near-instantaneously enter melee range, dealing more than half your health in damage, and then immediately attack, wiping off the rest of your health, and they could do it from across the screen. The boss of act 3 had a phase where he would spawn instant-death puddles directly under you, and whether you could even move out of the way in time to survive was latency dependant. Not to mention the enemies that could literally teleport next to you and kill you, and the elite monsters with combinations of abilities that made it impossible to kill them, effectively forcing a map reset (Gee, what FE difficulty does that sound like, I wonder?). Oh, and spider enemies that move faster than it is possible to move without cooldown abilities (Which you can't use frequently enough to stay away from them.), and have auto-attack rates that will kill you in less than a second of being in their attack range. That's just off the top of my head. Hell was a genuine challenge. Inferno beyond act 1 was utter bull****.
---