CYOA: The Unnecessary Balance V

#251Grayjack72Posted 7/17/2013 9:27:09 AM
Grayjack72 posted...
Leah, Eva, Carlyle and Dolin quadrosolo.

Leah with Eva and Carlyle with Dolin, should balance out the relevant stats well enough. If Gallagher is requisite, then pair him with Carlyle and throw in Sirius to help Dolin.

Save all the powerups for the weaksauce guys like Lance, Felix and Nina.

As for who gets the Axe, I think Eva should.

Her or Dolin. Eva does have a legendary sword already, I think.

Yeah, I think she does. Well I'm okay with whoever everyone chooses.
---
Etherealist posted...
"Want me to draw my sword and use some burst artes?"
#252Neosephiroth666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 7:42:52 PM
Sorry for the long delay. I had an appointment with my CO this morning, and was so tired I came home and conked out. When I finally woke up, I was distracted by MH3U and Rathalos farming... So yeah. Good news is, I may not have to return to duty as soon as I thought. I should have a approximate date by the end of next week. Story is next. Since no one else weighed in on who to give Urvan to, I'm giving it to Dolin, because Eva already has two legendary weapons.
---
Every man alive wants to be Adol Christin. Why? He has more women than Bond, can go wherever he damn well pleases, and gods **** their pants when he speaks.
#253Neosephiroth666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 9:38:16 PM
Well, you can't simply stand here all night... You need to make a decision quickly, but how...? Hold the pegasus..At every other fork in this damnable forest, you've always taken alternating paths; left one time, right another. Could there actually be a pattern? From the very moment you stepped into this forest, you've always assumed the forest is a maze. The numerous twists and turns certainly lend credence to this theory, but what if your original assumption is wrong? What if there's a distinct pattern and you're only realizing it now? At the last fork, it was the right path that led you to finding the key. So if your hunch is correct...

"A hunch is better than nothing," you mumble under your breath. You're not proud of leading those under your charge into the unknown based on a hunch, but you don't have any other choice in this situation. Your late father was quite fond of saying a true leader of men can adapt to any situation..

"Hey G-Man! Is this really the time to be daydreaming?"

You pin Leah with a slightly amused, mostly incredulous glare. "I do not daydream, young lady. I was merely lost in thought."

Leah snorts in disbelief, enough doubt in that one action to fill the ocean. You simply ignore her, though Leah's lack of faith in you does wound you a little. Not that you'd ever admit that aloud. "We take the left path," you announce, enunciating each word with authority, leaving no room for debate.

Not a person questions your order, although you do receive a few curious glances. You resound the official order to march, and order your comrades to advance in a turtle formation. After the last debacle in a similar enclosed tunnel, you aren't leaving anything to chance. You, Leah, and Eva lead, while Carlyle, Freya, and Dolin guard the rear. Lance and Felix guard the right side of the tight formation and Sirius and Karen guard the left. Everyone else stays inside the small circle of armoured bodies, and the platoon of Halberdiers and Heroes accompanying you surround the circle in an outer, larger circle. Despite your wise precaution, the minutes pass in uninterrupted silence, without event. By the twentieth minute, when you still haven't heard a peep from the trees and the tunnel of dark underbrush plows forward endlessly, your nerves are shot. Again, instead of relaxing you, this eery silence unnerves you even more. You don't even notice you're grasping the hilt of your sword so tightly your knuckles are blanched, at least not until Esmeralda gently places her hand over yours. You look down at your joined hands in surprise. Her fair skin is a stark contrast to your bronze, sun worn skin, and her hand is as smooth as silk compared to the ridges of callouses lining yours.

"Relax Gull," Esmeralda soothes in a quiet voice, meant only for you. "Don't you think one of us would have sensed any danger by now, should it lurk ahead? Even Carlyle has relaxed his guard a bit. We still have at least one more battle ahead of us. One more guardian to tackle. I don't want you getting yourself hurt because you strolled into battle wound tighter than a corkscrew."

You smile at Esmeralda's genuine concern, gently squeezing her hand. "Thank you milady. I'll try."

She returns both your smile and your squeeze. "Hey! Look at that!" Leah suddenly shouts, rousing you from your trance. You look towards the direction Leah indicates, and your nerves fry all over again. And this time, even Esmeralda's caring touch isn't enough to calm you. The dark tunnel of trees abruptly ends, not with the entrance to a new chamber, but with a swirling vortex of bright red energy, crackling with crimson lightning and ancient power.

"What in Origin's name is that?" You demand.

"A portal to another world..."
---
Every man alive wants to be Adol Christin. Why? He has more women than Bond, can go wherever he damn well pleases, and gods **** their pants when he speaks.
#254DoppelgangerEXPosted 7/18/2013 1:04:55 PM
Uh oh....
---
I'm a doppelganger! Good story: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66605491. So I herd u liek Mudkipz?
#255Neosephiroth666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 2:34:16 PM(edited)
"And you know this how?" You inquire incredulously, pinning Leah with a hard stare.

She gives you a look that implies the answer should be obvious. "How do you think? The shadows told me. What we see here is a Netherportal, a gateway to a different world. At least according to him anyway..."

Him? That's the first time you've ever heard Leah refer to the shadows as a singular entity... This may require further investigation. But not now. Now you have a leap of faith to make. "We will gain nothing by standing here all night. I'll head in first."

This declaration earns you quite a few shocked glances, but no one else steps forward. At least not until Esmeralda steps forward, her hand in yours. "Then I'm going with you."

Esmeralda's firm show of support emboldens you, and yet... Something tells you a large party would not be beneficial this time... Chalk it up to a gut feeling if you will, but your instincts are rarely wrong. A single brief glance at Leah informs you she's thinking the exact same thing. You turn to Esmeralda, already regretting what you're about to say. You've grown accustomed to her being by your side. It feels... Wrong when she isn't. But you could never forgive yourself if you didn't listen to your instincts and she paid the price.

"Thank you Esmeralda," you breathe, leaning close and placing a brief kiss on her forehead. "But not this time. As much as your support means to me, I will not have it at the cost of your safety."

You cycle your attention to the various others in your group, leaving Esmeralda a bit stunned. "I will lead a small advance vanguard through the portal. If there is indeed a guardian within, we will subdue it and return afterwards. Leah, Eva, Carlyle, Dolin, and Sirius. You're all with me. Everyone else, wait out here for our return. I have no clue how time will flow past this portal, if it does in fact lead to another world. To err on the safe side of caution, set up camp as soon as we leave and post sentries. If you can safely do so, try and send a Messenger Hawk to the Emperor, to inform him of our delay."

You return your gaze to Esmeralda once more, who's staring at you with a mix of pride and concern. "Emmy, my dear. You're in command while I'm gone. All right?"

She nods her consent, though her reluctance is clear. "All right. I won't let you down Gallagher, I promise."

Satisfied in the knowledge you can trust her, you step towards the portal. Leah dashes past you and leaps in first, dissolving into the crackling gateway. Eva follows suit, and Carlyle leaps in next. Sirius dismounts and kisses his wife, likely to ease her worry, before bounding into the portal with surprising agility. You're next to take that leap of faith, but before you can, Esmeralda's gentle voice halts you dead in your tracks.

"Promise me Gull... Promise me you'll come back to me."

"I promise," you reply softly, far too quietly for Esmeralda to hear. Then you jump. Your first time traveling between worlds is certainly NOT what you expected. Nor is it very pleasant. The feeling is difficult to describe. It's akin to diving, or being thrown rather, into a deep ocean, only instead of freezing water, you're diving through a maelstrom of fierce, yet somehow harmless, lightning and fire. Then, suddenly, you're forced back towards the surface of the 'ocean' at blinding speeds. When you break the surface, you're surrounded by entirely new surroundings, landing on your side on a black marble floor. Disoriented and sick to your stomach, you attempt to rise to your knees, only to collapse once more and hurl, as your last meal rebels.

"Welcome to my sanctum, warriors", a voice booms across the dark hall.
---
#256Neosephiroth666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 7:32:34 PM
You rise shakily to your feet, your legs wobbling like jelly, searching for the source of the echoing voice. What you do see causes your eyes to widen. You appear to be standing in a throne room of sorts, pillars of twisted black stone dotting either side, torches of blue flame lining the long hall. Set against the far wall is a throne of granite, and behind the throne lies a massive obsidian gate some fifty feet high at least. A deep crimson glow seeps out from the crack between the enormous gate and the dark marble floor. The high domed ceiling is painted with a mural of stars, and yet also adorned with natural stalagmites, forming a very conflicting appearance. A few feet from the throne, yet not upon it, waits what you can only assume is the guardian; a gargantuan wolf of sorts without fur, a hide as dark as midnight, built of solid muscle, with three heads and a long spiked tail. Each of the heads possesses bright red eyes, and a toothy maw brimming with pearly white teeth, sharper and larger than the fangs of most dragons. Near this imposing creature, just to it's right, is a lone pedestal of gold, where a large black axe with a single curved blade and golden handle rests. Leah, Eva, Carlyle, and Sirius are already spread out in front of the creature, and as you move to join them, the crackling portal of red lightning thrums into existence once more behind you. Dolin is spit out this time, unmounted of course, though he lands with considerably more finesse than you.

Leah and Eva have already decided to fight together-those two have grown as close as sisters of late-and so you move to back Carlyle. You still aren't that steady on your feet, so you and Carlyle silently agree he should be the one to take point. Dolin sprints to join you, and after some quiet conversation with Sirius, Sirius steps back and allows Dolin to take point.

All three heads of the guardian seemingly grin in unison. "You desire to skip the pleasantries then? Good, mortals after my own heart." The guardian heaves a heavy, echoing laugh, that sends chills down your spine. It then turns it's crimson gaze to Leah. "Though I see some of you mortals are more than you appear. Fascinating. No matter, you must be tested nonetheless. Hear me chosen warriors of Nature and Time! I am Cerberus, one of the three guardians of Helheim and one of the ten guardians of the Heavenly Sceptre. You have come far indeed to reach me here, here at the gates to Hel. Know that your trial shall soon be at an end. If you seek the power of the mighty axe of Black Flames, and if you seek the power of the Staff of Resurrection, then you must first prove your might to me!! Come, let me test the Champions of Dawn!!"

You unsheathe Durandal, and Carlyle draws Alondite. Leah draws her Blade of Sol, and Eva readies her famed axe Grimwald. Dolin brandishes his Silver Lance, while Sirius readies his Wishblade. Cerberus hunches back on his hind legs, as if preparing to lunge. You shift Durandal into a defensive position, your grip tightening, stepping back with your right foot to solidify your position. Carlyle adopts a similar stance. You wait, as prepared as you can be for Cerberus's imminent attack. Only instead of outright lunging, Cerberus does something completely unexpected, something you aren't prepared for in the slightest: he simply vanishes. Before your very eyes, the gargantuan three headed wolf fades into incorporeal mist, not a trace of him left.

"Be careful!!" Leah shouts in warning. "This guy can mask his presence completely! He could come from anywhere!! Be on guard!"

Great, just freaking great... Out of all the preternatural abilities, why did it have to be invisibility? Maybe Leah can still sense him. You're about to ask, when Cerberus lunges at your throat.
---
#257Neosephiroth666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 10:44:04 AM
Sorry guys, I just woke up, and I'm not alert enough to update yet. I will be soon, so don't worry. Barring any unforseen circumstances, we'll be finished with this dungeon today and onto Supports. Plus then I can finally introduce Idoun.:)
---
#258Neosephiroth666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 3:34:53 PM
(Continued)

You don't even have time to react. You barely have time to heft Durandal into a defensive position. Fortunately, Carlyle is far faster than yourself, and you made the very wise decision to allow Carlyle to lead. Carlyle sidesteps, albeit barely, and slams the flat of his sacred blade into Cerberus' ear, causing the three headed beast to lose his balance, giving you the time you need to dodge. The near fatal attack meant for you misses wildly and Cerberus lands roughly on all fours, momentarily stunned, his invisibility shield faltering. Carlyle spots the opening he was waiting for, and dashes forward at blinding speed, nothing more than a blur, unleashing a devastating flurry of relentless strikes. Cerberus howls in rage and in pain, as the barrage of golden energy bursts and lightning quick slashes force him to his knees. An enigmatic, likely magical shield of red light activates upon Carlyle's every vicious blow, although it does Cerberus little good. On second thought, Cerberus appears still alive thanks only to that particular ability. Carlyle performs a graceful, and highly acrobatic back flip, landing deftly on two feet in front of you. Dark red blood oozes from multiple gashes across the guardian's midnight hide, and Cerberus seems to be having trouble standing.

The battle is over in an instant, as suddenly as a frozen blizzard forms high upon Mount Stormfrost. Dolin and Sirius charge the downed guardian, and in the purest example of teamwork, Sirius holds his lance horizontally at chest level as Dolin leaps onto the shaft. Dolin only perches on the lance for a split second before Sirius shoves his lance upwards as powerfully as he can, launching Dolin high into the air. As Dolin reaches the zenith of his rapid ascent, his Silver Lance glows silver.

"You got nothing on me pipsqueak!" Dolin bellows, almost mockingly, as he descends upon Cerberus with the magnitude of a falling meteor.

Cerberus barely manages to regain his footing when Dolin's downward thrust connects, his Silver Lance piercing the guardian's thick hide with ease. Cerberus looses a bone shaking roar as he collapses into a heap on the cold floor. Dolin lands with a heavy thud of his boots. He stretches his arms, cracks his shoulders, and casually retrieves his Silver Lance while the rest of you approach. Cerberus rises shakily to his feet and turns toward you, all three heads bowing submissively in unison.

"You are just as mighty as I was led to believe. I am bested. You will find the last key to the Forest of Dawn's Inner Sanctum upon the pedestal at your back, alongside the legendary axe Urvan and a small gift from me. Use it or not, the choice is yours." Cerberus shifts his unsettling gaze to Dolin. "You who landed the final blow. The Black Axe Urvan now belongs to you. But be forewarned: this weapon comes with a heavy price. All former masters of this axe have fallen in battle, to one close to them. Should you overuse the axe's power, a similar fate may befall you. You have been warned."

Cerberus roars one last time for good measure, before melting into mist. Admittedly, you expect to be attacked out of nowhere for a few seconds. When you're satisfied the battle is truly over, you sheath Durandal once more and approach the pedestal, along with Dolin. Dolin retrieves Urvan, admiring his prize for a few moments, while you pocket a small red key and an ornate golden ring.

Dolin whistles in appreciation. "This is one beautiful axe. Shame I can't use it yet."

You pat your friend on the back. "That's what Arms Scrolls and Training is for, eh? You'll get the hang of it soon enough, I have no doubt."

A familiar red portal blazes to life on the floor. "Well that's our cue," Leah notes.
---
#259Neosephiroth666(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 4:17:15 PM
Okay. Carlyle is now officially OP. With Alondite equipped, and that Dual Wield of his, it's like having an infinite durability Brave Sword with 7 higher Mt and 1-2 range. That's freaking ridiculous. You know, Carlyle, Leah, and Trail would really have helped on Apotheosis in Awakening.:P Anyway, brief after battle update.

Dolin has received Urvan!
You have received the Red Key and Ring of Might x1!
Dolin has gained a level!
You have earned 300 BEXP! You now have 3005 BEXP total.

You've unlocked the achievement World Hopping for Beginners: A hitchhiker's guide to Netherportals!!(This achievement is worth 10 AP points. You now have 175 AP points total)

Next Boss is the final boss of this dungeon. No, really.

Graelhorn Lv 28 Naturia Lord
HP:120
Str:55
Mag:16
Skill:26
Spd:25
Luck:30
Def:50
Res:40
Avoid 40 ATK 75

Skills: Giantskin(Reduces all physical damage by 10, Halves all Magic Damage, and Negates all forms of Counter and Lethality, as well as Nihil) Thunder Horn(Negates enemy defense and deals normal ATK damage. 100% Chance to inflict both Paralysis and Immobile. Trigger%= Skill Stat÷2), Aegis+, Wrath, Renewal

Items: Mighty Fang(-/- Mt 20 Hit 70 Crit 0 Rng 1) Mighty Tail(-/- Mt 20 Hit 60 Crit 0 Rng 1-2) Neblim(Drops. Key Item. -/- Mt 5 Hit 85 Crit 0 Rng 1-2 Rank Sword S des- An enigmatic blade that glows a dark, ominous purple. Everything about it is unknown, save for it's incredible craftsmanship. It seems to harbor deeper potential... Luck-5)

Neblim is your first Abyssal Fell Arm. There are seven in total. For every monster(not human enemies only monsters) a character kills with Neblim equipped, Neblim will gain more Mt and special effects. Every 20 Monster Kills, Neblim will gain +1 to Mt. At 100 Monster Kills, that minus luck effect will disappear. At 150, Neblim will gain +5 to Luck, and at 200 it will gain +5 to Strength, etc. Neblim has the potential to be the most powerful sword in the entire CYOA. If you gather all of the Fell Arms, a Legacy Sidequest will become available at Chapter 40, the Penultimate Chapter of this CYOA.

There is also a mini Treasure Trove in the Graelhorn chamber that will net you 2 Master Crowns, 2 Second Seals, and 2 Large Bullions. You can also Carve the Graelhorn after felling it, and you can Carve it 5 times. What you get depends on the RNG. Think Monster Hunter.
---
#260peterson0120Posted 7/19/2013 5:36:52 PM
Neosephiroth666 posted...
Okay. Carlyle is now officially OP. With Alondite equipped, and that Dual Wield of his, it's like having an infinite durability Brave Sword with 7 higher Mt and 1-2 range. That's freaking ridiculous. You know, Carlyle, Leah, and Trail would really have helped on Apotheosis in Awakening.:P Anyway, brief after battle update.

Dolin has received Urvan!
You have received the Red Key and Ring of Might x1!
Dolin has gained a level!
You have earned 300 BEXP! You now have 3005 BEXP total.

You've unlocked the achievement World Hopping for Beginners: A hitchhiker's guide to Netherportals!!(This achievement is worth 10 AP points. You now have 175 AP points total)

Next Boss is the final boss of this dungeon. No, really.

Graelhorn Lv 28 Naturia Lord
HP:120
Str:55
Mag:16
Skill:26
Spd:25
Luck:30
Def:50
Res:40
Avoid 40 ATK 75

Skills: Giantskin(Reduces all physical damage by 10, Halves all Magic Damage, and Negates all forms of Counter and Lethality, as well as Nihil) Thunder Horn(Negates enemy defense and deals normal ATK damage. 100% Chance to inflict both Paralysis and Immobile. Trigger%= Skill Stat÷2), Aegis+, Wrath, Renewal

Items: Mighty Fang(-/- Mt 20 Hit 70 Crit 0 Rng 1) Mighty Tail(-/- Mt 20 Hit 60 Crit 0 Rng 1-2) Neblim(Drops. Key Item. -/- Mt 5 Hit 85 Crit 0 Rng 1-2 Rank Sword S des- An enigmatic blade that glows a dark, ominous purple. Everything about it is unknown, save for it's incredible craftsmanship. It seems to harbor deeper potential... Luck-5)

Neblim is your first Abyssal Fell Arm. There are seven in total. For every monster(not human enemies only monsters) a character kills with Neblim equipped, Neblim will gain more Mt and special effects. Every 20 Monster Kills, Neblim will gain +1 to Mt. At 100 Monster Kills, that minus luck effect will disappear. At 150, Neblim will gain +5 to Luck, and at 200 it will gain +5 to Strength, etc. Neblim has the potential to be the most powerful sword in the entire CYOA. If you gather all of the Fell Arms, a Legacy Sidequest will become available at Chapter 40, the Penultimate Chapter of this CYOA.

There is also a mini Treasure Trove in the Graelhorn chamber that will net you 2 Master Crowns, 2 Second Seals, and 2 Large Bullions. You can also Carve the Graelhorn after felling it, and you can Carve it 5 times. What you get depends on the RNG. Think Monster Hunter.

Ah, good old Neblim. I remember having Lloyd do over 10k damage per hit when I gave him that sword on Symphonia. Does this mean that Abyssion is going to be the super boss at the end of this? If so, we better have an All-Divide or something, else we're screwed. Hmm, Carlyle + Alondite & Neblim Dual Wield = Profit? If that'd work, then I HIGHLY suggest equipping him with that setup.

Also, sorry for kinda being away from any sort of voting recently, the Steam Summer Sale's been taking my time away from anything else.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDdIiN01BY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiVyjq0bvf4
Nothing quite like a psychopathic, immature madman in complete control...